Danaher banned techniques

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Dead_pool, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I know this is clipbait, but it brings up an interesting topic

Danaher who's a big fan of twisting leg locks, has three moves banned from his classes.

They are,
    1)scissor takedown
    2) jumping closed guard
    3) Valley drop takedown

Does your gym differ from standard ibjjf rules? If so are there any banned grappling techniques at all?
    And how do you manage the injury /confusion risk if you run multiple rulesets?

3 Techniques John Danaher bannes At His Classes

Giovanni likes this.
  2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

my coach doesn't outright ban anything in the gym. he does tell people to be cognizant of who they're going against but other than that, it's game on. the only time i've heard him mention not doing something is when it's called out as a violation or disqualification event in ibjjf competition, but only for competition.

3. Dead_pool

Neck cranks? Flying scissors?
    Fish hooks?
    Heel hooks?

4. Giovanni

are you going to ask about punching next? lol do people have to be told to not fish hook in grappling comps?

i've never heard my coach specifically mention not doing anything, outside of when we're discussing ibjjf rules before a competition and avoiding things that would get us disqualified, in competition. that's just my coach. and i'm also not there 100% of the time. one specific case my coach always brings up is making sure one does not reap the knee on a leg lock.

my coach trained with carlson gracie, and got his black belt from eduardo de lima (carlos and carlos jr. line). he does always stress good clean technique, but also that this is martial arts not dancing. that doesn't mean people should be fish-hooking. but, maybe it means more leniency for things like neck cranks, flying scissors. i don't know, i'm just spit balling. i've never been to a standup class where the scissor take down was taught, so maybe it's simply by omission?

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. Giovanni

i do have to say though, i was taught the scissor take-down in hapkido. lol

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Jumping closed guard with the guillotine. A few guys been paralysed by that.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  7. Dead_pool

I've had newbies stand when I've gently back mounted them and try to Slam me off, it's weird what people do when it's their first few times rolling!

We start strict IBJJF in BJJ classes, once your graded, and with informed consent we start adding other banned moves in, it's the moves your not expecting that injure people, so it's important people know what rules etc is being trained.

Knee Rider likes this.
  8. Dead_pool

Good point, it's effective, but dangerous, I like the side on open guard version more now anyway.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Or "Wednesday night" as i call it.... :D

Knee Rider and Giovanni like this.
  10. Dead_pool

I thought it was naked Wednesdays?

Knee Rider likes this.
  11. Giovanni

horrible visuals

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Oiled Wrestling Naked Wednesday to be precise - or "OWN" for short

13. Giovanni

this might be too much information...

but when i played rugby in college, after getting thoroughly lubricated post-game with the other team, we (not me, but team mates) would often engage in naked watermelon tossing--literally two naked guys all oiled up and tossing an oiled watermelon to each other. i have zero recollection or any rules or what the hell the point was, except to drink more and toss an oiled watermelon around.

i miss my rugby mates.

14. Dead_pool

Quoted for posterity!

Giovanni, axelb and Hannibal like this.
  15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

:eek:

Is that a very big euphemism for something else....

16. Giovanni

no euphamism. it's post-rugby game parties.

i can't be the only person on this site that played rugby in the usa. i've never been to a post-rugby party in the home nations, but i'm guessing, same thing is going on: tipping back many glasses, then doing stupid stuff. lol

Late for dinner likes this.
  17. Dead_pool

Are you sure it's not slang?

18. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

More likely to be oiled up drinking each others fetted micturation and brawling over here.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  19. Giovanni

that's gross man.

oh yes, i didn't mention the brawling, but of course, a rugby game isn't physically violent enough for a bunch of teenagers and 20-somethings. get a few drinks in and all hell breaks loose. :)

again, that wasn't me. i'm peace loving and generally tend to my (clothed) self.

Knee Rider and Dead_pool like this.
  20. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Hmm we never seem to get oiled up and certainly no watermelons involved! 8' 0

Now there are still a few places with giant bath tubs but it's full of bubbles so I have no idea what goes on! ;' )

Oddly enough I think that I have never seen a fight at a rugby club other than a bit of hand bags on the pitch. I have seen non-players try to wind up guys in the pubs afterwards but that IS a more probably British culture than specifically rugby.

Weirdly I think that I have never had so few black eyes as I have this season...

LFD

Attached Files:

Giovanni likes this.