Dan Henderson fighting - Would You?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by belltoller, Jun 5, 2015.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

The quintessential perennial UFC stalwart is slated to fight again this Saturday in the UFC's Fight Night 68.

He's been a long-time fan favourite (one of mine, as well) and his career stretches back to before the Pride era. He's had a good ride with notable wins over Fedor Emelianenko and Michael Bisping, to name a few but has dropped 5 of his last 6. He says he has no plans for retiring in the near future and plans to finish out his contract which has 3 fights left on it, regardless of the outcome of Saturday's fight.

I might add that Dan turns 45 in less than two months.

When one thinks of all the wars he's been through over the last twenty years and the type of fighting style he employes (not a cautious one) it of course goes without saying that his body must have racked up quite a toll. Hitting the mid-40's is no fun for any competitive athlete...for an MMA fighter with 20 something years of wear and tear on them, it must be incredible.

Also of note, when TRT was banned, he was quick to take himself off of it and all indications are he has been a clean fighter ( of course, we've all said the same thing about .... and .... and ... )

Think time for Dan to hang it up? Balls to the Walls/More Power to Him?

[​IMG]

Recent photo of Henderson during latest training camp - courtesy of Twitter​

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I will always root for Hendo. Even though I am a Bisping fan, that H-Bomb was always going to be the deal breaker.
    In regards to his age, Randy was also the same but not been in the same wars as Hendo has been in.

For a guy that age to step into a ring full of monsters and at more than a few times hold his own is nothing but legendary.

3. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

this sat. I say boetsch eats the H-Bomb and its over.....I hope lol

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I mean, i don't really think it's a question of age so much as a question of viable skills, if i was fighting the way Hendo is fighting now and was only 25, i wouldn't see a bright future for myself and would probable have people tell me to hang up the gloves, really, as it is, he's pretty much ignored his wrestling for about a decade, so that's no longer much use to him, he's never really learned how to set up his right hand beyond a few varieties of low kick, now that his once cast iron chin has up and left, i can't really see much reason to continue, going from the guy who could knock anyone out to the guy who can be knocked out by anyone would be reason enough for me to leave, regardless of age.

5. belltoller

Now that you mention it, he isn't the only one whose chosen to ignore their once formidable wrestling skills as they age.

Quinton Jackson comes to mind. He was primarily a wrestler until his Pride years at least. I recall a couple of years ago him complaining about the UFC becoming too wrestling dominant.

Roy Nelson had a decent grappling game, IIRC, which he seemed to have abandoned altogether.

There are several others whose name escapes me at present.

I've never wrestled but it seems that it takes more out of you than boxing and other striking arts ( leaving out 720 quadruple kicks and the like ) and I know that as I've aged, the idea of my bones coming into contact with the canvas is far more distressing than the idea of someone's fist coming into contact with my nose.

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Didn't Hendo drop the wrestling because of bad knees? I mean, I thought he didn't choose to, but sort of had to.

I will always love him for that KO of Bisping. One of the most enjoyable moments watching the UFC EVER. (Thought the hit after was not cool.)

I can't say what I would do,because I would never get in a ring in the first place. But he should be allowed to fight as long as he wants. Unless he starts to suffer repeated brain injury. In that case,Dana White will have that retirement talk with him. White is very good about that.

Did I mention that wonderful KO of Bisping? Always worth seeing again and again.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5yd8IMwZOA"]Dan Henderson Knockout Michael Bisping - YouTube[/ame]

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

If he did drop his wrestling game to injury, that probably is further consolidation that he shouldn't be fighting anymore, can't take a shot, can't take someone down, one viable weapon, one viable set up, he just isn't the threat he used to be, and i'd love to eat my words over the matter, but i can't see him being able to turn it around.

On the flip side though, he's always gonna have that hook, so to paraphrase Bill Murray "he's got that going for him, which is nice".

8. aaradia

One can fight because they love it, even if they are not going to be Champion. I appreciate just seeing a guy that age still able to compete at all.

I am not convinced he can't take a shot anymore. He hasn't been KO'd enough to say that I think. I mean one of his two recent KO's was a head kick by Belfort, wasn't it? No shame in losing like that.

If it happens a couple more times, I will agree. Maybe even if it happens in this fight.........but not yet.

I do get tired of the one dimensional head hunting that he, Rampage, and others do sometimes. But Henderson is in better shape than Rampage and also looks like he gives it his all every fight, which I can't say for Rampage.

Then again, his record is pretty bad the last few fights. I do think it is time to maybe not fight the very top tier like he has been. Maybe Boetsch is that step down. I can't remember much about him right now.....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'd like to see forced retirement based on a formula that takes into account a person's number of fights and the amount of times they've been struck in the head, knocked out and other injuries (eg ACL ruptures).

10. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Oh, don't get me wrong, i'm amazed at anyone who can compete at that level, especially at that age, but seeing how badly he got clipped last fight, at the hands of Mousasi no less, says to me that his days of being able to fight like the reckless brawler he has morphed into since the demise of pride are over, and i'm not sure he's got much room to develop further skills this late in the game.

As it stands, he's fighting a guy who's similar to himself, a heavy handed brawler type who tends to avoid wrestling in place of trading shots, and while i don't know much about the chin of Boetsch, i know that Hendo has been caught badly, i also know he's been getting slower, all of which began pretty much after he got off the TRT, barely surviving his second bout with Rua before landing his right late in the third, being ragdolled by DC for 3 rounds, pasted by Mousasi in 70 seconds, he's been barely hanging on by a thread for quite a while.

I know he has a very warrior like mentality, and clearly loves to compete, but sometimes that is really not in the best interest of the fighter.

11. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I did read somewhere that testosterone levels could be used as a pretty good litmus test for whether or not fighters should be cleared, short of a medical condition or the aging process, the main reasons testosterone levels fall in people are apparently related to head trauma and high level usage of pain killers or steroids, granted, i don't know how accurate that info is.

12. belltoller

LOL, did you like Hendo's KO of Bisping?

That second clip was for love. ( the love of seeing Bisping's noggin bounce off the floor )

For as hard as it was, it didn't affect Michael one bit afterwads; hasn't changed.

He's a Mancunian, of course. :vanish:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I think Hendo hasn't grappled as much lately due to lungs and joints. He knows he can't keep up with the stamina of the younger guys but his strength is still way up there.

He thought his wrestling could've balanced out against Cormier, but DC is a much larger/solid guy in general.

He has shown he has a good top game but like Hendo, relies too much on his overhand right.
    If you watch the TUF he was in, he had a decent scramble but then again the opponents he had weren't great. Half of the cast weren't even fighters.

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

First spoiler is a vid so the second spoiler isn't a spoiler.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dapwMhEaVJ4"]Highlight: Tim Boetsch vs Dan Henderson - YouTube[/ame]

I know he won and all, but looking at how sloppy a scrap it was, i can't help but feel that my previous statements still hold some validity, if he goes after someone who uses any ring generalship what so ever, especially given how slow he looked, he is going to get lit up, which isn't something i really want to see.

15. aaradia

He won in 28 seconds with a TKO.

I think he proved he still belongs in the UFC and does not need to retire yet.

16. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I guess, but it was more the story of how Boetsch just ran into that right hand, but beyond this fight, i am thinking that Hendo is going to go for a higher ranked fighter after this, who as long as they avoid his right will probably beat him, if not hurt him.

Then he'll have another fight, which will probably be something of a swan song, so he'll get his pick of fighter, which will more than likely be someone who is a legit tough fight, if he keeps playing the warrior mentality card, which means that as long as the guy avoids his right hand, he'll probably get beaten, if not hurt.

I just feel he's been in too many wars, and this boost of confidence could take his health to some dangerous places.

17. aaradia

Gagagwe, that is a lot of guessing about what the future holds for him.

18. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Is it? he's been reduced to a man who is only capable of winning in a very specific circumstance, and he was put up against someone who walked right into the only viable weapon he has, it was pretty much the only possible way he could have won the fight, and i don't really think there are too many guys in the top 10 at middleweight who'd let him get within range to pull off his one trick.

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The last thing to go is a fighters punch....and boy does Hendo pack one

This fight showed nothing except that he still hits like a truck - the questions before this fight are still there

Great shot though!!!!