Dan Bong

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by JTMS, Feb 18, 2011.

1. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Dan Bong or short stick:

Just wondered when some of our MAP friends here introduce the dan bong to their students. As the dan bong is certainly a multiplier of force to striking and particularly joint locks these techniques (like many others) can certainly be dangerous for the novice student in the dojang. FYI: I introduce the dan bong at brown belt.

2. klaasb

klaasb ....

It depends. I have some adult students who work in prison, they already have experience with dan bong-like weapons. But most of our dan bong-techniques are black-belt material.

3. Little Robin

Little Robin Valued Member

Speaking of Dan Bong...does anyone have suggestions for making some? I'm open for details with respect to diameter, length, materials, or whatever!

4. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

For the YEON MOO KWAN, people are accountable for proficiency with the DAN BONG as 2nd Dan-s testing for 3rd Dan-s. But I have seen White Belts being allowed to participate in both classes and seminars. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

5. Coges

Coges Valued Member

We grade the dan bong in the 2nd dan syllabus but I have seen it introduced earlier on occaison.

I personally don't mind it being introduced earlier as you have many options for which you can substitute the dan bong in real life so I think it is quite a relevant weapon.

6. Coges

Coges Valued Member

I've been told that the dan bong should be the length from your elbow to wrist. Me and my old man have made all of ours (we made the medium and long sticks as well) and it's quite a simple process. From memory the diameter is roughly 1.5 inches. We just bought a length of wood (I've used oak for mine) and have them cut it to the appropriate length at the hardware store. For those in Aus, Bunnings will do it for free. Then you need to sand down the edges to round it off. Drill a hole for your string about two inchese from the base and apply a couple of coats of lacquer to finish. Sounds like a bit of a process but it's really quite easy. Doesn't cost much either.

7. Little Robin

Little Robin Valued Member

Thanks Coges.
    I never would have thought of the elbow to wrist measurement but now that you say it, it makes perfect sense. I look forward to following your advice.

Making a Dan Bong seems like one of those projects that is 'easier done than said'.

8. klaasb

klaasb ....

For practice I have bought a few rubber chucks and removed the connecting cords ;-)

9. angry

angry Valued Member

In my school it solo practice in the way of dang bong patterns are introduced at 3rd gup level but use in holds and for leverage comes in at 1st gup. I think it is something that needs to be carefully watched by the instructor until both parties are familiar with the use of a dan bong and possible dangers.

10. Coges

Coges Valued Member

No worries. Good luck with the making and let us know how you go.

11. Bruce W Sims

Just to add a little spice to the discussion...

The SOH Bong (mini stick) measures .5 inches by 6 inches.

The Dan Bong measures 12 inches by 1 inch.

The other part that is not being mentioned is the lanyard which also relates to the length.

In the YON MU KWAN the lanyard ought to be long enough to allow the thumb to be hooked and the DAN BONG rotate one full revolution, to be caught in the hand. In the last many years Master Geoff Booth (Australia) has devised additional DAN BONG work using a bit longer lanyard and a stick which, though shorter (about 10 inches) is much closer to an Inch-and-a-quarter.

In like manner the Soh Bong also has a lanyard which when the SOH Bong is gripped in the hand trails down the forearm, just reaching the elbow. There are some wonderful chokes, traps and bindings done with the SOH BONG lanyard. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

12. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Bruce, I know you have much more knowledge about these things than I do but in my experience the dan bong has been tailored to the practitioner. As with the jung bong and jang bongs (excuse me if this is the incorrect spelling). I don’t have any literature to back this up but doing a quick google search has uncovered a few organisations who describe the dan bong as 8-12 inches long and 1-1.5 inches in diameter. As you mentioned, lanyard length is also important.

I haven’t heard of the soh bong before but that sounds interesting. Aside from the lanyard it sounds similar to a seminar I attended where we were shown dan bong like techniques with a pen and a rolled up magazine. Sounds like it would be interesting.

13. Bruce W Sims

Thanks, COGES:

Are you familiar with the KUBOTAN? Its a short stick marketed by the group under the the Karate master Tak Kubota, The SOH BONG is almost identical. My late teacher published some materials on it just prior to his passing. Of course, the published material was only introductory so a lot of the more sophisticated material such as the binding and flailing were not included, but the basics were there along with basic applications. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

14. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Hi Bruce,

I have heard of the Kubotan. They're generally marketed as being attached to a key chain no? I believe that they are illegal in most states in Australia so I have had no practical experience with them.

All sounds very interesting though. I might have to do some more research on the soh bong.

Cheers for the info.

15. Bruce W Sims

Yep, thats the one. I didn't know they were illegal in Oz. I know we had taken one of two away from some airline passengers when I worked for the TSA. Also took one of those collapsing batons, as well. :rolleyes:

I remember the idea of using it on a keychain included being able to flail at someone with your keys, but I tried that once on a body bag and sent the keys all over Gawd's Half-Acre. When Myung KJN taught techniques it was simply holding the item in one's hand and and the lanyard was coiled about the hand. The item essentially reinforced what the hand was going to do, which, of course. is the definition of a weapon (IE. "An extension of one's intent".)

Binding with the lanyard was the sort of simple "quicky" stuff with the attacker's wrists and fingers and was nothing as involved as the material for the cord (K. "JUL") of the sword. It did get the students thinking about pressing such things as shoe-laces from their gym shoes into service in a pinch. FWIW.

BTW: The fella who came up with HAN PUL in 1965, CHOI Yong Sul's student, KIM Jeong Yun, published a book on DAN BONG. Its written in Korean, of course, but the drills that are shown in the book are simple and practical. (see: ISBN 89-89587-00-x ; 89-89597-01-8-04960). I'm surprised more Hapkido schools don't use them. The book also gives a website (www.hanpul.com) but I have not had any luck connecting to it.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  16. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

Most of the material that I was taught was as a defense from a punch. This is the same for almost all Hapkido weapons I've worked with (belt, cane, knife). Is that most of everyone else's experiences as well?

I've done a bit of work on my own and with my students and I prefer doing more preemptive techniques as opposed to waiting for the punch. Not necessarily striking first but grabbing and doing a jointlock with the weapon. Which would probably be more useful for law enforcement. I always felt like I was missing something with my weapon training by only working on punch defenses but now feel a little more versatile.

17. Sunmoo

Sunmoo New Member

We do defense from punch, knife, stick as well as utilizing as a throwing assist and joint lock/pressure point applications

18. Bruce W Sims

May I also recommend that you have your students use protective foam when they are executing their striking techniques so as to get as close to making actual accurate contact with the intended target. I have found that, like pulling ones punches, when one learns to "pull" a strike to an incoming punch or kick this ingrains an incorrect bio-mechanic.

DAN BONG-s are intended to be used against the "boney" strike points such as the shins, knuckles and wrist which are, frankly, quite uncomfortable. All the same the biomechanics of the technique need to be respected and practiced as close to real as training can allow. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce