damzel in distress, need help about car!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cavallin, Nov 23, 2006.

1. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

evening.

i'm taking my car to be serviced saturday as it ain't right!
    i know nothing about cars, but basically the car randomly kangaroos when i drive it. nothing to do with the clutch i dont think, it seems more to do with the fuel injection.
    i've gona over some nasty speed bumps and i also think it might have activated the emergency fuel switch which is what it said in the handbook, as it stalls and cuts out an awful lot.
    it will cut out if i leave it running without reving it, and when it slows down ect...
    i looked for the switch to see if it was depressed, but couldn't find it. it's meant to be next to the door at the passenger side but all i can see is a small hatch with wires in it and a hole where you can see inside plastic dash thingy.

it's a 10 yr old ford fiesta 1.3

i suppose there isn't that much point me writin this when im taking it to garage saturday, but i though maybe someone know what/ where this switch may be or give me enough advice so i know what my garage is talking about.

cheers!

2. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

I had a similar problem in my old car, when i took it to the garage they said it was the 'dizzy' which doesnt mean a hell of a lot to me but he said its basically two out of the four injectors were not workin making it kangeroo and lose power, didnt cost too much i dont think but it just depends on how expensive the garage is your taking it to

hope that helps if not you'll find out saturday anyway so not that long too wait

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I can only suggest ringing a few garages, describing the issue, and see if they can give you a ROUGH idea what might be up with it .... that way you have a better idea before taking it in on saturday - It'll make you look like you know what your talking about, and less likely to get ripped off.

4. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

I doubt that its the emergency fuel switch, but anything is possible: basically there is a metal ball in a cup that completes a circuit for the fuel pump, so should the car be knocked over it kills the fuel pump when it comes unseated and subsequetly the engine. One of the rare cars that can be disabled by a sharp strike to the rear quarter panel. :D

Sounds like there's something going on with your fuel delivery system.

5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Sounds more like dirt in the fuel system (possibly blocked jets) than a fuel cut out prob, that would mean your engine did not go at all or the whole idea would be pointless.

6. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

yes i shortly realised that :D the place i am going out is where my parents always go and he seems trustworthy so hopefully he wont rip me off. its just nice to get people's opinions rather than wondering.
    people are tellin me the fault could be electrical aswel.
    it wouldnt start tonight so it's going to be fun trying to get it to the garage tomorrow morning...is it legal for another car to tow it or do the professionals have to come?

:( anywy im very uspet about my lil EDY hope he gets better soon so i can carry on filling him wiht teddies. if you have spare teddies feel free to send.(dont ask im in a weird mood)

7. leon_x

leon_x Dai Low

yea its legal to tow... but its better to stick a sign on the back sayin "on tow" and keep your hazzard lights on.

I dont think it is an electrical problem unless it is an ecu management issue which would cost a bit more. most probably the fuel regulator or the injector. when is the last time you had your car serviced?

8. MattJ

MattJ New Member

Could be electrical. Bad spark plug wires (or cap/rotor or EI module, depending on what it has) can make a car run rough or stall out.

Dirty gas is another good possibility as is water in the gas. Has the fuel filter been changed recently? Clogged catalytic converter or bad coolant temperature sensor are also possiblities.

These things can be hard to diagnose. Good luck!

9. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Sorry i didn't see this earlier , finaly something i might know about :D

First which model is it? (10 years ago is right on the change over)

The earlier model (known as the classic shape fiesta 86-95) was prone to the thottle position sensor failing , also the breather system used to "snot up" for want of a better phrase with what looks a bit like mayonaise , this could cause spurious readings at the map sensor and create all manner of running faults.
    My advise for this model would be remove the air filter pull off all the breather pipes and make sure everything is clear , paying special attention to the small aperture at the base of the elbow that goes int the air filter housing , and then pull out the fuse for the engine management memory ( i can't remember which one it is other than it's a 3 amp) failing that disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes , this will reset the module to base values and erase any bad values it may have saved.

The later model ( known as the 96 model it has a "smiley" grille)
    These are more reliable , for the fault you describe i'd go straight to the idle speed control valve as this is the most common fault.

All of this obviously is without seeing the car myself or plugging any diagnostic kit in but in the 11 years i've been in ford dealers these are the most common faults i've come across.
    Sorry i didn't see this earlier and respond , i know i'm late (you've probably already paid a bill) but in case you didn't make it to the garage or you're waiting for an answer back i thought i'd chime in anyway :Angel: