Daito Ryu Jutsu

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by nickh, Mar 2, 2007.

1. nickh

nickh Valued Member

OK, I am aware of Daito Ryu Jujutsu and Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu.

But now it seems there is also something called Daito Ryu Jutsu

And it appears to be a kenjutsu system. I can't seem to find any link to Takeda Sokaku. :confused:

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

There is no mention of who the instructor is. Kendo without competition???? I would be most suspicious.

koyo

3. gakure

gakure I am watching you....

Daito Ryu jutsu makes no sense in the Japanese language. Ask about lineage claim to Daito Ryu.

4. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

大東流柔術 Indeed, sounds and looks like BS

5. nickh

nickh Valued Member

6. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

That one line from their web site pretty much sums them up in my opinion. I learned all I wanted to know about them from that single line.

7. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I spoke to these guys at SENI - they were up-front about it being a gendai system.

8. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

There are a number of gendai sytems. The only ones I've heard referred to as "free style" all had to do with eclectic karate or taekwondo schools. "Free style" and Japanese sword arts are mutually exclusive in my experience.

9. ScottUK

Maybe you should invite them to join this discussion...?

10. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Valued Member

That's a good suggestion, Scott. I do have to say that I agree fairly closely with Mr. Smith's last sentence tho'.

11. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

:p

12. ScottUK

I must be having an off-day... :D

However, I did meet the guys - they were nice fellas, were up-front about their training and didn't make any crap up about fake lineage. That puts them up much higher than the mojority of donkeys that MA forums draw in...

13. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Valued Member

Ahh ... perceives that I've walked in part way through a long conversation :lol:.

I quite agree that groups that practice a form of 'recreational' swordsmanship, if I can use that term, but are perfectly upfront about it deserve a certain amount of credit for honesty. If they're having fun, learning some basic principles about swordplay and are not trying to pretend to be something they're not, then where's the harm?

14. koyo

They are pretending to be Daito Ryu changing the spelling makes no difference, Why not advertise recreational swordsmanship??

koyo

15. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Valued Member

No argument from me, Koyo - I didn't know that that wasn't what they were doing.

If they're masquerading as a school of a genuine ryu, then that's a whole other matter; it's just that I got the impression from what scott said that they were being open about the recreational nature of their swordplay.

16. nickh

nickh Valued Member

I think they are genuine. This page says that the instructors are all fully recognised, qualified and insured.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  17. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

.. Nick.. You're a BAAAAAD man.

18. koyo

Their posture in the picture says it all :Angel:

KOyo

Coloured kits and serious faces do not a master make. :bang: