Daito ryu/ Aiki jitsu/Aiki jujitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by dentoiwamaryu, Sep 8, 2011.

1. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

I was under the impression for my time spent in Japan that there was only 1 Aiki jujitsu and that is Daito ryu JJ. What is the difference with just Aiki-jujitsu? I thought it was the same but having witnessed some demos all I can see is some people who have done a generic form of JJ and some soft style of Aikido and called there art Aiki jujitsu. Am I right here? Ive never seen a club that does Aiki jj do anything similar to DRAJ. Where does AJJ come from?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

You are probably right ...

Aikido and Jujitsu mixed ...

I think it is a very western generic term

Smurf

3. dentoiwamaryu

Thanks, I think im just wondering if there are more that one system of Aiki JJ then what makes a JJ school AIKI?

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ignorance, Marketing and a willingness to lie to students plain and simple

5. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

You are correct in your impression that there is only one ryuha that traditionally uses the term aikijūjutsu and that is Daitō-ryū.

The term, aikijūjutsu was coined by Takeda Sōkaku in the late 1800's.

The term "aiki" used by itself however, is a lot older.

6. dentoiwamaryu

Thanks for your input guys, I was not putting Aikijj down just unsure why it was so different to DRAJ and still retaining the term AIKI.

7. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

There are way too many mish-mash schools out there that are a composition of judō, jūjutsu, karatedō, and a little bit of aikidō. They then use an exotic term, like aikijūjutsu to stand out from the rest.

It's a great disservice to people who really want to learn true aikijūjutsu.

8. fistnfootway

fistnfootway New Member

hello their so sorry for interupting your talk. I have a problem and was looking for some help. I teach Jujitsu just as my sensei taught me. it is shiki ryu jujitsu and i am a sandon. I have not seen my sensei in years and can not find him anymore i am looking for a jujitsu club to join to help aid my training. I want to move up in rank someday but not to worried about it now just want someone to back my teaching really.

9. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Where are you based ?

Smurf

10. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Hmm, I've never heard of a "Shiki Ryu", and the only references on Google come to a Japanese horror story and manga (comic book)... do you mean "Shinki Ryu" instead? If so, that's a modern system created by Terry Stanton, I'm not sure you'll find a school of it close by... but the main website has a link to email them for locations. http://www.shinkiryu.com/homepage.htm

11. Heath Stray

Heath Stray Valued Member

The only Aikijujutsu I know about is Shokaku Takeda's Daito Ryu and the schools that descend from it.

12. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

Aiki-jujitsu, Aikijutsu, Aiki-juijitsu etc.

I just got back from vacation and saw this thread. There are many "new" aiki systems google will retreive something you won't believe. That being said not all of them are bad. I once shared emails with a gentlemen who had clips on Youtube of what he called Aikijutsu. I was curious so I asked him about said videos. He explained he called what he did Aikijujutsu because he trained Jujutsu and Aikido. After a few years of both the jujutsu people would say "thats not jujutsu" and the Aikido people would say "thats not Aikido" so he realized he must be doing something different. He decided to call it Aikijujutsu instead. I think we can all agree nothing wrong with that.

:)

13. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Shidare-Yanagi ryu, would that be considered a separate entity?

14. Dead_pool

Partially decended from daito ryu

15. Nojon

I was never clear on that, I guess its part of their own family art, part Daito ryu teachings?

16. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

Yangai ryu

From my understanding of yangai ryu Angier Sensai claims its the family art of the Yoshida family. The videos Ive seen of it and of Williams, student of Angier and the fact Kotori Yoshida was a student and teacher of Daito ryu, I would at hearts its probably Yoshida's own version of it more than it is a family art. Yes its considered a branch.

17. Dead_pool

I think there was an ebudo thread about it, definate influence. let me see if i can find it.

18. Troy Wideman

Troy Wideman Valued Member

Hi Chris,

Hope your well. Yes Shinki Ryu is under Mr. Staton, I have met him and he is a very competent martial artist. One of my higher ranked black belts is also a student of his. A great bunch of guys. It is a modern system created from Mr. Stanton's extensive martial arts back ground.

They produce some very competent and more importantly, some respectful martial artists.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

19. Nojon

LOL its been too long, I lost my ebudo login info.

20. Heath Stray

Heath Stray Valued Member

Does anyone know or practise Takeda Ryu Nakamura Ha? Is a modern school that teaches many disciplines, Aikido between them, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with neither Daito Ryu or Morihei Ueshiba's Aikido. Still, a friend of mine belong to this school and is pretty happy with it.