Dairy products...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by M Lambert, Oct 21, 2006.

1. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

What are views of how dairy products, e.g. Milk fit into a diet based around physical activity. I was thinking how milk/cheese contain protein, would milk make a good post-workout drink for someone not using Shakes?

Just thinking about it really, :)

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

It depends on your aims and tolerances. Milk is fantastic stuff if you're looking to build muscle, but if you're looking to lose fat then it has to be used carefully. Obviously if you have any lactose intolerance then milk is probably a bad idea. If you have a slight intolerance and still want to give milk a go, try to find a source of raw milk in your area, since some people react to the pasteurised/homogenised milk but are fine with raw milk.

Personally I like to sip my way through 4 pints of semi when I'm trying to gain, it's a good combination of macronutrients and has definately given me good results when I'm bulking.

3. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Chocolate milk is an excellent post training recovery drink, helps recover from muscle strain and gives you the protein and nutrients that your body needs.

From another forum where we had this discussin

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

It really depends on your heritage, if you are able to digest and assimilate the milk of cows. It is an interesting topic. Those who consider to go that way should google it, and find out how many are not able to use it for a food.

Gary :)

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Failing being able to drink cows milk - keep an eye out for nursing mothers... if you spot one... kindly ask her if she'll let you get a portion down your neck before she puts the little one on.

I've found many women to be very understanding about it.

6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

That post made me go eurgh no then ahh yeah.

The point of protein powder casein, whey or milk is so you get less carbs so you can get the carbs from glucose or maltodextrin. For post workout. And oats or something the other times. instead of the lactose. Which doesn't get absorbed as quick which is needed post workout and doesn't contain fibre which is needed other times.

7. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Eh, I think it's prob nitpicking too much on this point. Lactose breaks down into glucose and galactose and will be fine. Of course, chocolate milk would be optimal but a trainee wouldn't be missing much if they drank milk as opposed to taking in a bunch of simple sugars.

8. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

Hmm, I think I'll give it a go as a post workout thing then, see what happens... Im not keen to kick off on shakes yet for some reason so the "natural" way should be better for me.

The other option would be watered down milk? So you can chug back a whole load after a workout without actually overdoing the fats etc? Only really thought this because of how I make oats in the morning (100ml Semi-skimmed milk, 200ml Water)

9. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

If you're not exactly lactose intolerant but cow's milk disagrees with you goat's milk is a pretty good alternative. An acquired taste perhaps, but you do get used to it, especially if you can get it fresh (the UHT stuff is pretty disgusting!).