D-day - 6th June 1944

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by morphus, Jun 6, 2004.

1. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Just thought i'd leave a thread to the thousands of men who survived & even more so to those gave there life in the Normandy landings.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Ditto.

Watched the stuff on TV yesterday.

Watching "Saving Private Ryan" with the kids right now - the 1st 20min kinda puts what "those old guys on TV" went through in a less glamorous light.

3. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I too am going to watch Saving Private Ryan with my 10 and 12 year old tonight. I don't think we should let the past be swallowed by history but we should keep it alive so that mistakes and solutions can be remembered.

"There can be no dreams of greatness for the future without rememberances of the past."

(sorry , not sure who said it)

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

watched the first disk of Band of Brothers last night. strangely, the second episode (where they jump into France) started at 00:16, the exact minute when the first British glider landed at Pegasus Bridge. spooky :confused: :)

ive been watching all of the stuff on TV too. it just makes you think what all those people went through, and wonder what the world would have been like had the Nazis pushed the invasion back into the sea

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  5. jimmytofu

jimmytofu A majority of one

It strikes me just how humble these veterans are considering the sheer magnitude of their actions in shaping history.

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Hip Hip! Hooray

Three cheers for American intervention over-seas! :eek:

You don't hear that much anymore, do you? :woo:

Remember the days when thoughtful and well-meaning people hated and opposed murderous dictators... wow we had it good back then.

Greetings from Omaha (not the beach, the city).

-David

7. shipto

shipto Atkin's for life

Those people all deserve our gratitude and they amaze me I have the complete band of brothers and listening to some of the old guys can really leave a lump in your throat "my grandson asked if I was a hero I replied no but I served in a company of hero's"

8. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

My hat is certainly off to them all. Great men.

9. x1000

x1000 New Member

If those heroes had not donw what they did we peobaly wouldn't be here talkin about it now and we would all be speaaking german