Cutting Weight

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pompeythegreat, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Ello

I have a Judo tournament coming up in a week, and I am about two kilos above my weight class.

So, my question for you boys and girls, is what do you think would be the best way for me as a 16 year old to cut the weight safely and effectivly, so that I can fight at my desired weight class.

Thanks

2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Two questions. Are you fat? Is it a same day weigh in?

3. Pompeythegreat

Im 68kg, And no weigh-ins are on friday, the competition is on saturday.

I need to get below 66kg before the tournament.

4. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Get yourself in a sauna and take your scales , don't eat that day till after the weigh in, 2kg is no problem doing that.
    Don't do this If you are emancipated already though ;)

5. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

What do political rights have to do with it?

Autocorrect change from emaciated maybe?

Makes a good sig line though...

Edit: My phone tries to change it too! Grrr.

6. Pompeythegreat

Mhhhmm that may be an issue, because I have to drive up to the town on friday, and before that I need to go to school.

Edit:

And I only have about 15% body fat.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Im not that confident simply going to the sauna and not eating the day before is going to shift 2kg, it will certainly be cutting it close. for the next week no snacking no alcohol, 3 simple meals, nothing too sugary, sugar intake causes weight gain, monitor the weight and if its not coming off fast enough start cutting back on carbs (cutting back not out), eat nothing the day before. If you still have a bit to lose on the day and the sauna isn't an option cut some holes in a bin bag so you can wear it take it to were ever the weigh in is with some skipping ropes or do some sprints in the car park and get a sweat on, preferably check how much its moved on another set of scales before you get on the official ones.

The no snacking nothing too Sugary thing is important that donut 3 days out that wont make that much of a difference especially as iv cut so well so far, will it ? YES and being stuck at the bottom of a weight category will make all the difference between winning and losing no matter how good your Judo is, I learned this the hard way.

8. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You can drop it easily, people in my club drop up to 20lbs on a hard cut. Sauna is good, as is a sweatsuit- basically wearing bin liners if you want to do it cheap- you can sweat out 2kg in under an hour.

9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

he could do that or he could diet properly and not dehydrate and generally mess with his body, pretty bad advice when you consider he is only 16.

10. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Agreed. At 16 you surely do not want to mess about with your body.

Dehydrate or starve or get electrolytes out of kilter, get low blood sugar etc...you may pass your weigh in only to get pasted because of weakness or even pass-out.

Thats a loss.

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

there is a right and usually hard way to do things and a lazy way, sadly when it comes to cutting most people opt for the latter. Really dumb when you consider cutting weight is something our bodies are just not meant to do.

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Well if you want to go down that road any sort of contact sport is probably a bad idea.

I'm just saying if he wants to cut he can with ease.

Now, there might be long term effects of it, but thats part of the game.

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

well no its not as matter of fact as that because as iv pointed out theres a safer way of doing it.

14. Pompeythegreat

Awesome! Thanks for the advice, Ill start that today.

I will bring my skipping rope with me in the car so that if I am over weight I can still sweat it out.

One more question:

Will I still be able to lift this week? Or would it be better if I didn't?

15. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I just reread your post prior to mine and you have the same advice as me plus more detail about long term plans.

Who are you disagreeing with here?

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Cut out starches - that's STARCHES not carbs

No bread, rice,pasta, potatoes

It is amazing how much I drop when I do this (he says after having just eaten spinach and ricotta ravioli....)

17. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Lol apple iPhone to blame for that ;)

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

really you should have stopped strength training weeks ago to focus on your various cardio vascular needs, to answer your question I wouldn't, because of potential injury and fatigue more than the impact it will have on your weight, I wouldn't even do any more training at all after wednesday, the hard work should be done by this point.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  19. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I told him to diet it out over the week before the competition you told him to sweat it out with a bin bag or in the sauna how is that the same advice ?

20. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Your advice is better over a week I agree, I looked at it quickly, didn't read your post and said yes, you can cut. 2kgs with a bin bag(which is exactly what you said in your post too).

So we both suggested cutting with bin bags on a cutting post.

I agree diet is a good idea, but really if you are to compete seriously you need to play the cut game.

At 16 I don't know if its too young or not, but I didn't take the view of judging that.