Cutting back on cardio.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by _sam_, Oct 14, 2010.

1. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

I'm going to try cut back a little on the amount of cardio i do, see if i can pack on a little more size.

The spartan run's are out, so are hill sprints and step circuits. i'll substitute these with swimming twice per week instead.

Tabata's out too as i prefer barbell complexes anyway, and the bear complex done on the day that i squat and do overheads makes sense too. i'll just keep the pyramids a little lighter.

Skipping, bag work and bodyweight circuits are staying in my routine.... can anyone think of anything else or does this look ok?

Sorry guy's i know this isn't a weights site but i like it here. i get good advice and encouragement.

cheers lads (and lasses haha)

Sam

2. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Diet's reasonably ok by the way. i know i have to eat big to get big and i'm trying. 4-5 times per day, little (ish) but often kinda thing. and fairly clean, plenty of fruit, veg, fish and chicken.

i'm also on the hunt for a decent protein powder and creatine. never really bothered with this stuff before but its been reccommended a few times now so....

3. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Any chance of some feedback on the cardio thing please guy's, cheers.

Oh, and ive decided to stick to met rx for my protein (i know i'm just paying for the name but it seems to work reasonably well for me and doesnt give me the ***** like some of the cheaper brands) and ive gone with precision engineered creatine monohydrate. 3 days in and havent really noticed any diff as yet (it did say i'd see results after the first week though) except maybe energy levels are starting to increase a little, but seeing as i'm a high energy person anyway i cant be sure haha

4. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

hmm you do more hardcore cardio than me that's all i got to say.

although, what martial art or sport are you doing?

are you competing?

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I don't think you need the swimming.
    What does a weeks training look like?

From what I have read one session a week is enough to maintain cardiovascular fitness or strength. Also If you know you have cardio to do the next day you wont put as much effort into your strength training, your body will hold back, even if you try not to.

6. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Yeah but i do too much, that's why i'm trying to cut back.

None. i'm trying different martial arts to find the right one for me,and i used to be a boxer but i don't fight anymore. i just train for the enjoyment of it.

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I wouldn't worry about it too much when you're posting in H&F!

IMHO for physique changes cardio is really over rated. Eat lots and eat your meals fast. Lift big and heavy weights with plenty of aggression and size will follow. Gain muscle and inevitably some fat but don't focus on it because it's easy to lose later down the road when your LBM is closer to where you want it to be.

8. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

I need the swimming to replace my 3 and 5 mile spartan runs. i figured 2 swim sessions per week (1 hour easy, steady paced swim, and 1 hard 45 min work out, different strokes etc) and 1 hill sprint session.

A typical week's training looks like:

5/3/1 routine, 4 days, mon,tues,thurs,fri. Although i'm considering switching to layne nortons power and hypertrophy routine as i feel i could handle the volume etc and it may suit my needs too.

On bench day (monday) i do body weight circuits, burpees, press ups, pull ups/chin ups, sit ups etc in the morning (100 each), and finish my afternoon workout off with dips and weighted press ups (close grip to hit the triceps) and maybe a few rounds on the pads if i'm up for it.

I do hill sprints and tabata squats/burpees on tuesday mornings and barbell complexes before and after my squat workout in the afternoon.

Wednesday is rest day, but i use it as an active recovery day. mondays BW circuits and usually just a long walk with my dog or maybe a steady swim.

Thursday is O/H press/shoulder day and usually includes no cardio, although i may do a few rounds on the bag/pads.

Friday is deads day and i'll usually warm up/down with DB complexes and finish off with a go on the stationary bike or a steady swim.

Saturday is thai boxing day (at the moment at least) so i just do that training, maybe some BW circuits at some point during the day.

Sunday is hill training and always will be! haha. 20 to 25 miles over rough ground (moorlands) with a 50lb backpack in under 4 hours. i'll stick with this cos its something i love doing, gets me up on the hills with plenty solitude/time to think etc.

It may seem like a lot to some, but i'm used to pushing myself hard and don't feel overtrained, i get plenty of rest, eat well enough and know my limits. if i feel run down i back off or take a week or so off. i definately feel the spartan runs were holding me back, muscle building wise at least, so feel i could live without them for a while. i run 3 miles in 18 mins and 5 miles in around 38-40 mins by the way (on a good day)

cheers

sam

9. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Ok mate, cheers for the advice

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

11. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

12. Knight_Errant

Cool. That article got me thinking I should go and do some all-day walks again. I haven't done a proper trek in years. I'm thinking brecon beacons.

13. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

cheers for the link guy's i'll check it out now.

Didnt run at all last week but woke up today bursting with energy so went for a run. 5 miles in all (in about 45 mins) but it turned into a spartan run after the first mile, ended up with 400 press ups, 300 sit ups, 200 burpees and 150 pull ups, or there-abouts. also got a 25 mile bergen tab planned for wedsneday with my cousin who's on leave from the army so looks like i'll have to leave cutting back on cardio til next week.

14. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

You can do 150 pull ups? Are you some kind of mutant?

Much respect, I wish I had that kind of power.

15. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Chers for the article, great read and very informative but its just shown me how damaging that run this morning will have been on my muscles! i don't run to shift excess body fat as there is very little to burn as it is. i run cos i enjoy it etc, so without fat to burn, its just attacking my muscles right!? oh man! haha

So, its the long walks with the dog after my workouts that's keeping me trim then? from what i can gather from the article, i'm doing it right on that front, 4 strength training days and 45 mins to an hour walk with max after my workouts (our walk home from the gym) so according to the article, i should give up all cardio except this? it kinda makes sense to me, if i knock off all other cardio apart from swimming (i find it a great way to loosen up) and just do my weights routine and walks, then i'd have more energy for my weights days and still keep the fat off, as its obviously a combination of the 2 that's doing it not all the running/circuits, that's just stripping muscle etc... wow. i see the light haha

16. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Yeah but not all in one go obviously, in a half hour session along with press ups/burpees and sit ups etc, done in as few sets as possible. its something ive done for years so its been built up steadily and my body is used to it.

But cheers mate, i suppose i am a bit of an animal haha

17. Knight_Errant

Well, sort of. I'd advocate doing wind sprints, and if you need to run long distance (e.g. if you're joining the army where there are tests geared specifically towards this type of running) then do some running as well.
    Personally, I miss the long runs, so I still do one ever so often.

18. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Nah mate ive done my time in the army, this is just for enjoyment. what i'm wanting to cut back for is to help me increase size. my weights routine is pretty much spot on, and so is diet so i'm just trying to figure out the right amount of cardio that won't hinder muscle growth.

But i'm the same mate, still cant resist a good, long run now and then... same with hill walking with a heavy backpack. love it.