Curriculum Changes ... what were they???

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Quozl, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Hi All,

Following on from the Thread about why is the WKSA in the US slow to update the curriculum, and not wishing to derail the thread there, I have started this one to find out the answers, hopefully, to the following questions. If anyone can help that would be great. It is purely for interest, ye ken ....

What are the changes to the curriculum from what it used to be to what it is now?

When did the curriculum change?

And since the last thread talked at one point that the changes were made because adults taking up KSW thought that the curriculum to Black Belt was to hard and therefore didn't stay on to Black Belt, the big question is I suppose;

Have these changes diluted KSW?

Cheers all for your help.

2. Willow

Willow Valued Member

Based upon info from the other thread you mention:
    On post #3 of that thread hwarang outlines where where certain technique sets used to be as opposed to where they are now.

The changes were officially implemented in 2005 although I couldn't tell you when the movement for change first began.

The dilution of BB quality is one that is often discussed on this forum. Typically it involves someone observing BB's and BB candidate students not being able to perform techniques and hyung properly, forgetting techniques, etc.

I believe your specific question is in reference to BB's no longer being required to learn certain technique sets. As best I can understand from previous discussions on this topic the technique sets have basically been backended to DBN. The thought is that many students get too frustrated by the challenge of learning all the techniques, don't advance fast enough, and therefore quit. I believe Blue Belt was mentioned somewhere as the most common quitting point. By putting more technique sets into DBN, the idea is that the student will reach that level and think that they're almost there and won't quit because they've already gotten so far. The financial benefit of getting more students to DBN for WKSA is that at DBN you write your first big check which goes to WKSA.

I can see where this might lessen the quality of underbelt students, however in theory (and if none of the DBN technique sets were moved to JKN) a person testing for JKN should have the same amount of training as someone with the old curriculum.

Perhaps someone with a bit more years can comment better.

3. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I already answered these questions. but ok Ill repeat the answers.

and Ive been told that Dahn Do Maki, Sahng Soo, Yang sahng mohk Soo will be 1st dahn material, and Ee uhn Ji ap Soo and another set will be moved to 2nd from 1st, Po Bok Soo(rope) and Ji pang ee Sool(cane) will be moved to 3rd from 2nd.
    Diluted really isnt the correct word, ALL the material is still there its just moved. But I understand the intent of your question. I would say yes, and no. With all the different programs that schools have (BB Club (jool bong, staff, sword, some BB techniques), Masters Club (Archery, Knife throwing, advanced breaking, sword cutting), Swat team (proper teaching techniques)), you can learn things now that were never offered before, atleast not till you were a BB. So is the curriculum is diluted? yes, but you can pay more and recieve more than some BB's can, at underBB.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  4. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Ahh, Thanks Hwarang. Although I read it in the last thread, the changes didn't click until this thread, sorry! :D

As for dillution of the art, I can see that it probably isn't dilluted from what I see in the new verses the old syllabus. So I'm happy again :D .

However, did I read in the other thread about "bottle breaks" at underbelt level? If so why where they there and why are they no longer in?

Cheers all and thanks again Hwarang, sometimes it takes me some time to catch up!!!

5. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

:) no problem.

As to bottle breaking, it takes a certain kind of training that some people just dont know how to do or care to do. You have to/should develop your hand before you perform this type of breaking. Also breaking bottles is dangerous, and personally dont think school owners should have that liability, atleast for underBB. It used to be a requirement for testing for red belt.

6. ember

ember Valued Member

But those are just the most recent curriculum changes. I've heard of others prior to this, like the staff form or mok jul li ki. What about those?

7. Willow

Willow Valued Member

Quozl - If you're interested in a description of our bottle break, we wrap the bottle heavily in newspaper and place it on its side a cinder block. Your target point is the neck where it will more easily break and you strike with a palm strike. I personally didn't find it to be that hard, the only thing that hurt were my fingertips because they curled over the edge and hit the side of the cinder block after my hand broke the bottle. I'm sure others at our school who had more difficulty might have adifferent perspective. I've been told by one of our PSBN's that there has only had one cut in the years of doing it when a piece of the broken glass poked through and nicked someone.

That would be quite a change. That's a total of 45 techniques and 5-6 months training. Will the time to JKN be shortened or will more time be spent on perfecting techniques?

8. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

from my own personal experience, hopefully the latter!

9. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

neither, since all the under brown belt stuff is now brown belt material.

10. Willow

Willow Valued Member

I see where stuff has been pushed back, but as compared to the Official Chart (after the moves you have referenced) you are talking about moving an additional 45 techniques from the under BB curriculum. How can there not be some sort of change from where things stand today?