Currently Doing Japanese Jujutsu, but still not sure...

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by reneg, Apr 16, 2013.

1. reneg

reneg New Member

Hey, I'm currently doing Goshindo Jujitsu at my local dojo and been doing that for 4 months. I really like it, but some sessions there is way too little focus on techniques and a lot more on having fun and sometimes even have "competitions" in some sort of cordination. example: Jumping over a big pile of bags and roll on the other side. I know this helps cordination and ofc gives you some strenght. Researching the internet about Jujitsu doesn't really help either since there is so much information from different angles that confuses me. Sometimes we do randori, not too often.
    So I've been thinking about maybe switching to Judo. Not sure yet though (obviously).
    How is the sessions at your dojo? Do you do randori?
    And is it effective in self defense/Street Fight?
    I really want the martial arts "journey" i'm currently on be useful so if Jujitsu isn't good for a self defense situation I might start doing Judo since I know there is a lot of "alive" training there.

Please hit me with some answers! :)

2. thauma

thauma Valued Member

judo - a great sport, and good for fitness, but lots of rules for competition and having been a judoka from 13-42 I was thoroughly fed up with it.

Personally I discovered jiu jitsu at 42 and never looked back. It has all the techniques of judo plus lots more, and no rules. There are many ways to pressure test without competitions (unless you want that), and I can't say that I miss judo whatsoever - this is far more interesting (for me at least.)

I have no doubt that there will be many for judo, and many for other martial arts as well, so take what (may) follow as a guide, and find your own path, as that is the only true path for you.

Good Luck.

3. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Could you post a link to a web site? Goshindo is a name I know from the past but it's a fairly generic term.

Gary

4. reneg

reneg New Member

This is probably the best I can do:
    Not too much information about on the internet. This guy has been at our dojo to teach us one class. He goes all around the world and do classes and weekend camps. As well as summercamps in Norway (which is where I live and train) and France (which is where Goshindo Jujitsu is from).

http://www.budoglobal.com/biography

I should probably mention that the Jujitsu I practice is named as "Jujitsu Norway" or "JJN". On their webpage it says they are practicing a mix between Goshindo and Can Ryu Jujitsu (canadian Jujitsu). But the "Head of the organisation" or the "Leader" is Alain Sailly which supervise all the gradings when people are grading to Dan gradings.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What your doing isnt japanese Jujutsu, its a modern, western based art.

Judo is a very good benchmark for 'alive' training, and any jujutsuka worth his salt should be able to function in that environment (if not at an optimum level, context and all that)
    So do the Judo, see what you enjoy, and if you feel the need drop the 'jujitsu' for judo, or indeed the other way around, after trying it for at least a few weeks each.

6. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

From what I can make out (as I don't speak French) he's pretty much made up the sytem up himself.

"Goshin" 護身- is a relatively modern expression - originating, I believe, from Hakko-ryu.

The term refers to self defence and quite a few gendai systems incorporate it, both in name and doing.

As Fusen says, what this group is doing it isn't really Japanese Jujutsu, but you cant judge someone before you see them in action - so if you enjoy your training - keep going.

Gary

7. reneg

reneg New Member

I would not call it a western based art when it's based on Japanese Jujitsu. It should rather be Modern Jujitsu based on japanese Jujitsu.

8. Dead_pool

It'll have no actual conection to any japanese jujutsu.

Do judo, or do koryu, but what your doing in neither.

9. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

What binds a system back to its tradition is not so much the content but the pedagogy.

That doesnt mean to say that what your group is doing is bad (or bad jujutsu for that matter).

Gary

10. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I do the jumping over things, its good training. Either objects or people rolling at your legs etc. But that is a small part of training.

As to if your art is effective, well that is hard to say until you try it out for real.

The advantage with Judo and BJJ is that you get to compete against another club, so if you club is teaching you poorly you see it in competition immediately.

If you have no barometer the best thing you can do is quit, start Judo or BJJ and train for 1 year. Then come back and see how effective they are at controlling you or throwing you - if you feel they can still handle you and your Judo/BJJ is overwhelmed then you might have a good school.

11. reneg

reneg New Member

A few people in my class (two blue belts and a couple of brown and black belts) seem to know what they are doing. When we've been doing randori they've been beating the heck out of me. They are tougher than I thought jujutsukas would normally be.

Btw, Japanese Jujitsu is the term commonly used when their not talking about BJJ. And everytime you write "Jujitsu" without the "japanese" in front, they start to talk about BJJ.
    Japanese Jujitsu is a martial art not a style, there are many many styles that might not have a direct connection with Traditional japanese jujitsu but it is still japanese jujitsu.

reneg, MAP has a no swearing or masked profanity policy.

12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

What's the difference between a martial art and a style?

13. Dead_pool

No offense, but your clearly wrong, Japanese jujutsu would be the jujutsu of the Japanese.

Just as brazillian jujitsu is the jujitsu of the brazilians,, what you would be doing is the Jujitsu from Norway.

For infomation - heres a norway jujitsu 6th dan grading - supervised by Alain Sailly 7th Dan,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on-vazVtXsg"]Karl-Fredrik Skjørshammer, Ju Jitsu Norway, Graded 6th dan Shian - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  14. reneg

reneg New Member

ah, great. Sub-styles was what I meant.

15. reneg

reneg New Member

16. reneg

reneg New Member

Anyways, if there was easy to just check out Judo I would, believe me. But the problem is that they start up with beginnerclasses each semester, so I would have to wait till the end of august to try it out. Also to quit my current dojo they have a policy or deal or whatever. You have to deliver a letter that you quit and 2 months later you are free to leave and stop paying. And i'm 18 and do not have a job. So the money is a little issue when all comes down. So i'm really unsure of what to do. Stay with jujitsu or go with Judo. Hard to figure it out and that's why I ask you guys about advice about both arts.

17. Dead_pool

Try judo in august, then decide.

FWIW if money is an issue, judo is very cheap usually.

18. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You have signed a contract?

19. reneg

reneg New Member

Yes, I signed a contract. The contract lasts for 6 months and then renews to a new contract. And to quit my contract I have to send them a letter to terminate my contract and this takes two months. Anyways, lets say I was planning on trying out Judo in August, should I still grade in jujitsu, in a few months I can grade to yellow belt. If I were in the situation where I didn't like Judo (I probably will tho) and didn't grade it would kinda suck to go back and start over.

20. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

"Goshin" 護身- is a relatively modern expression - originating, I believe, from Hakko-ryu"-Gray

Nope Goshin (while I'm not sure of its age) is not from Hakko ryu. Hakko Ryu comes from Daito Ryu. In Daito Ryu one of the upper waza sets is Goshin no in yo/ Goshin No Jutsu. This waza set is the base for Hakko Ryu.