Curious if anyone has thoughts on this particular mouthguard

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by aaradia, Sep 11, 2017.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Several of my fellow students have been using either this or the lighter version of this by the same company. They all love it. It is apparently thinner and far more comfortable. That appeals to me. They have a dental warranty if you get tooth damage while wearing it.

It is a Sisu mouthguard. It is rather different than other mouthguards. If you click on the link, you will see what I mean.

Yet, I am wary. Some review said it didn't protect them at all and they suffered a lot of damage while wearing it. Only one review that bad though. I know you can always find someone disgruntled, but it spooked me. Other people say it cuts the gums because it is too hard a material.

FYI, in our sparring, we only have light power head contact, and that is only in the classes Tai Sifu teaches. Still, once in a while, you can still get a pretty good whack in the head, even in matches where there isn't supposed to be head contact. Accidents happen.

So, I was wondering if any of the regulars on here have had any experience with it? I would really like to hear from you if you have.

NextGen Max Guard

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

It looks very breathable.

Any reason why you are choosing this over more established brands? I agree you can always find a bad review but maybe for piece of mind go with a higher end opro or similar?

I personally use an Opro gold and really like it.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Maybe it's because I haven't bought many mouthguards yet, but I would have liked some more pictures from different angles; to see what it looks like from above, so to speak.
    From the looks of it, I'm not sure whether or not I would get annoyed by the wavy design.

narcsarge likes this.
  4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I will google the Opro gold.

Several of my fellow students love it. They say the thinner design makes it FAR more comfortable. They can easily talk and drink without issues. Also, the saliva thing that happens with standard mouthpieces apparently isn't nearly as much of an issue. Also, I am wondering if the thinner degign might be easier on my TMJ. I have that and sometimes - on bad days - the mouthpiece isn't so comfortable with that issue.

I just got a lot of dental work done, and my other mouthpieces were old anyways, They fit around my new bridge and cap, but not properly. So now is the time to buy a couple of new ones. So I am looking around and seeing what is out there.

5. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Happy I came across this, I too need a mouth guard for JKD and I purchased an Everlast, that is adjustable, but I just cannot get it to fit right and even after trimming it, if I leave it in to long, it makes me gag.

The Sisu looks good, but it also looks thin and starts out flat so it looks like it requires a lot of adjustment, but maybe that is what I need. The Opro looks a lot like the Everlast to me, but since I have not tried one it may be better.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It's well worth getting a real fitted gum guard, especially if you've got some dental work to protect.

If the dentist fitted one's are too expensive, there's a lot of mail order dental lab companies that give reasonably the same service for less then half the cost.

Late for dinner likes this.
  7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm similar. I tend to go for Shock Doctors and Opros

Dead_pool likes this.