Cup Protector?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by special43543, Apr 8, 2005.

1. special43543

special43543 Special Member

If this has been covered extensively (and I am sure it has), please point me in the right direction because I searched for it for a while and could not find anything because the word "cup" doesn't work in the search engine.

While rolling today in BJJ(my first time!) I found it rather...uncomfortable on the jewels. Do most people/any people wear cups? If so, does it get in the way of grappling? Is the best answer to this question is "don't get in those positions?" That answer seems to answer all of my questions at the time..like "how do you get out of that damn triangle"...."don't get in that position" :D

2. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

I don't.. yet. Although people always mention it when we sometimes have an "accident". "Hehe, silly me. Guess it's about time I get a cup" And then we don't :p But eventually we'll have to :p. Depends on the level of contact your currently training with. If you're sparring with decent resistance etc. then a cup would be the way to go ^^. Better safe than sorry.

Most people wear cups in where I train, although it's not BJJ. How would wearing a cup get in the way of grappling?

3. kungfoo

kungfoo New Member

I do and so do the other guys at my club as far as I know. It doesn't affect grappling in the slightest.

4. mrfu

mrfu New Member

im prob coming from a different angle but my instructor insists on no-one wearing cup protectors whilst training, even doing groundwork because he believes that you become complacent and won't protect your 'friend' if you are used to wearing a cup. also being hit there for the first time is painful but as with all pain you can 'get used' to it to some degree, but this doesn't mean we purposely hit each other in the groin! i think it is better knowing how a groin strike feels and when, god forbid, it happens for real, your 'friend' will know how to deal with it. but with bjj, when fighting in a ring, you want to prolong your fighting ability in the ring, so i suppose its wiser to wear a cup.

5. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

There was a similar discussion on this thread

www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28597&page=4

Mrfu, at risk of clashing with you on every single thread...sorry... :rolleyes:
    how do you "get used" to being hit in the jewels? I hope your instructor's liability insurers are understanding of his training methods. He has a duty of care to his students and its one thing allowing a student to choose whether or not he protects himself, but something totally different to insist they do not wear protection!? :eek:

What about realism with striking? Do you let them punch each other in the face without gloves or gum-shields?

6. mrfu

mrfu New Member

well if you read my reply you would see that i stated that we don't purposely strike each other in the groin. i also stated that you get used to the 'pain' to some degree, not totally.

7. Happyguit

Happyguit New Member

wearing a cup or not makes a big difference...just do an armbar without a cup and you will see what I mean.

8. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

I'm 36 years old and it hurts as much today as the first time!

9. mikelw

mikelw New Member

Don't get used to getting hit in the nuts, trauma to the testicles greatly increases the risk of testicular cancer. Wear a cup!

10. Bejito

Bejito New Member

There is no such thing as getting used to getting hit in the balls period. Wear a cup everytime you practice. Train safe and when you get hit there you can be: 1) glad you wore a cup and 2) attentive of the fact that you would have get hit there in a real fight (a cup doesn't make me think i have nothing to worry about down there :love: )
    Happyguit, what kind of armbars do you practice dude?? You shouldn't stretch the arm on your balls/cup, sideways should do just fine.

11. mrfu

mrfu New Member

how would you deal with it if you have never felt it before?

12. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Maybe you should just wear your cup ALL THE TIME :D.

13. Bejito

Bejito New Member

Lol, that would make for some nice slows with the girls...'Is that...?' 'yes, baby, that's my cup protector' 'oh :cry: ' :D

14. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

ROFL. "Are you wearing a cup protector or are you just happy to see me?"

Also by all the time I mean ALL THE TIME you never know when you'll have to defend yourself from a groin shot from a would-be burgular and nothing could be more off putting for a random burgular than discovering his victim wears a groin protector AT ALL TIMES. You'd also become quite well known at the local swimming pool. hehe :D

Alright I'll stop now.

15. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

They're your balls. Make your own decision. Personally I like my balls the way they are, not in pain and swollen a couple times bigger.

16. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

Well I finally broke down after a rather violent guardpass to kesa gatame. I'm now the proud owner of a cup. I can now answer this question with my own experience. Which is, not it doesn't restrict grappling. (It actually helps juji-gatame ^^ )

17. Happyguit

Happyguit New Member

Yes, I know its just a bad habbit...that I realize the first time I forgot to wear a cup.The other move that feel different without a cup is the triangle choke... :eek:

18. RYO9

RYO9 New Member

WEAR A CUP YOU DIP! those are FAR too valuable to get hurt while rolling.

Mullins

19. Happyguit

Happyguit New Member

bla bla bla wear a cup.... ;)
    I know, and we all wear a cup while rolling.I'm just saying there is a couple of technique that would need adjustment or be avoid for a self-defense situation, when your not wearing a cup... :eek:

20. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

What techniques do you learn that means applying pressure on your nuts?!?!?

If you mean arm-bar...you should be squeezing your knees together to trap his arm which also causes the leverage to apply between the thighs - a safe distance from your nuts!!!