Cung Le tests positive for HGH

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Saved_in_Blood, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Did WADA actually declare him clean? Or was it "under WADA, I would be clean due to evidence" ?

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

That I don't know and I haven't seen many articles on it. I also doubt you would get the real truth because it would show that it was their own screw up.

3. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

If this article is at all accurate then Cung didn't really fail any recognised test at all.

''
    There are currently two different tests being used by the World Anti* Doping Agency (WADA) to detect hGH use. The hGH "Isoform Differential Immunoassays" test is used to determine the presence of exogenous (meaning from an outside source) hGH in the system. That test is used in conjunction with a test for serum IGF*1 levels.

The other hGH test is known as the Biomarker test. According to the Hong Kong lab report reviewed by this reporter, none of these sports doping hGH tests were conducted on Cung Le's blood sample.

Instead, the Hong Kong lab took a reading of Le's total hGH concentration, which by itself cannot determine if the subject has used exogenous hGH or not. ''

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/10/8/6948491/top-scientist-says-to-ignore-cung-les-hgh-test-result.

LFD

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  4. Saved_in_Blood

Well there we have it. Don't know if it was used or not, the UFC did seem a bit quick to get rid of him though did they not?

I say Dana White RIGHT NOW make the call to randomly test ALL UFC athletes starting right this minute... use the correct tests and i'll bet 75% fail today.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  5. Late for dinner

The funny thing about this testing procedure is that I don't think it is really relevant if the person is tested too soon before or after the fight. If I read things correctly a new test could have been done that would have clarified what Cung's levels were. In fact, I would have had a set of tests done at the proper lab myself if I was him so that I could prove my innocence.

Guess we shall have to wait and see what occurs.

LFD

6. Saved_in_Blood

like I had said before... testing for exogenous HGH isn't easy and I know that test had to be in the thousands of dollar range... if not more. Was the test called for by someone that we don't know about? Maybe. Did the UFC suddenly become avid about their athletes being tested randomly such as the VADA does? I wasn't aware if so.

A lot of variables can cause "higher amounts" of HGH, but again... these are in pulses. The pituitary gland will pulse, there's a certain amount the body will release and that's pretty much it. It's powerful enough that those pulses do a lot though. The point is that a high amount of cardio can cause HGH levels to rise, certain supplements have shown to cause it, heavy lifting can cause it IIRC, bleeding (such as what Le was doing a lot of in his last fight) can also cause it from an article I read.

This would not explain in what manner they based his "failed" test on though. If they somehow figured out that it came from an outside source then they should have kept the tests which are supposed to be held for what? 10 years? Instead they destroyed them. Why? Maybe someone wanted him to be innocent? Maybe someone wanted him to be guilty?

Honestly, the whole thing is very strange.

7. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Man this is messed up and smells like conspiracy to me now. No good man.

Hgh is not an easy test . Plain n simple.

8. Mushroom

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I, for one, am glad to see the suspension lifted.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

11. Mushroom

I initially was thinking that Zuffa would be reluctant to backtrack. But with them trying to improve their image in regards to drug testing, they did this a lot sooner than planned I think as damage limitation.
    A lot of people are lobbying that they (Zuffa) needs to invest in drug testing company. Obvious Pros and Cons in regards to this.

Namely it'll be about money. But probably for another thread for another time.

Glad Cung is out with his rep untarnished. But even though he was suspended for a year, I don't think he would've fought anytime around that anyway.

12. belltoller

It was more about clearing his name than opening up possible fights.

13. Mushroom

Yeah I know, hence glad his name is now untarnished.

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

But I don't think this is true.

Some people now will have a question mark when they think of him. I find myself wondering if he was innocent or did he get off on a technicality? I am sure I am not the only one.

15. belltoller

Not you too, aaradia :(

That's the thing with American society ( which has now spread to the rest of the world, like a cancer ) when in doubt, accuse - and once accused, always guilty.

That's the crime of unwarranted accusation and slander - it literally murders.

You have a choice with what to believe, as we all do.

When presented with two equally weighted choices, take the better :)

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I am not saying I know he is really guilty, I am saying I find a shadow of doubt in my mind wondering if he is truly clean or not. I like Le, I want to believe he is innocent.

Even that shadow is a ding in his reputation.

17. Saved_in_Blood

i'm glad the suspension was lifted as well... but it's discouraging at best to see this sort of disorganized testing procedure being performed. Obviously everyone here knows I don't think much of White... but I will say I KNOW he has to be smarter and able to get down to the bottom of all of this. As of now we can all say that he "looked" guilty considering he looked better than he had 10-15 years ago... however, proof is what it's about, and the proof says that he wasn't guilty... period.

18. belltoller

Well put. I've larnt over the years that people who 'look guilty' are often the innocent - as the innocent (combined with naiveté) walk right into situations that the more guileful and cunning can spot for a mile.

Of course, one can be both guilty and profoundly stupid at the same time.

I've looked at the pose and ... yeah, the same thoughts. But, I let it go. There's enough room for doubt and there's nothing worse than the innocent to be condemned as guilty - to be judged as so.

19. Late for dinner

As was mentioned before Cung Le did not fail any recognised tests for HGH and the test results that were done could not be verified. It seems unfair to decide from how someone looks that they ''must'' be guilty. I thought we got past that sort of prejudice a long time ago.

I think that it is unfair to say where there's smoke there's fire. Perhaps this is one time where the results of investigation have turned up the truth.

I don't like drug cheats and sports have been rife with them for decades. Perhaps this will get the UFC to follow standardised protocols and not slander people unnecessarily. I know in Olympic sports drug testing they would have been much more careful.

I guess this is part of the problem when you have an entertainment corporation masquerading as a sports organisation. It appears to follow conventions but really it just amounts to what appears to be good for business.

LFD

20. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Yup, wwf management in a SPORT