cultural/spiritual practice

Discussion in 'Silat' started by ap Oweyn, Jan 27, 2012.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

NB: is a prayer that gives strength and invincibility.

Carry on.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

In Latin, I'd read somewhere. Is that accurate? Or is it generally in Filipino?

Thanks mate. :)

3. shootodog

Orasyon is in latin but adopted and adapted by Filipinos to suit their needs. The orasyon is recited to activate the anting anting.

4. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Orasyon is a different spelling and pronounciation of the Spanish word 'Oracion' which means 'prayer'.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No it's Latin - originally "oratio" and then it made its way through to "Oracion". Hardly suprising that with the heavily Catholic influence on the Spanish it made its way to the Phillipines

Regino Ilustrisimo actually had one incribed on his leg

Attached Files:

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yep

7. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Hannibal - The Spanish word 'Oracion' may derive from the Latin root word 'Oratio' as Spanish is a Latin derivative language, but 'Orasyon' is directly derived from the derivative 'Oracion' which in some areas of Spain pronounced in the same way although spelt differently. If we go back far enough then sure, but directly it is as per above.

8. shootodog

What is your point? They were asking if the Orasyon (the prayer to activate the anting anting) was written in pilipino or latin. The prayers for the orasyon are in latin.

9. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

This is a valid perspective ... I have always been taught that silat is intensely personal. You are not *doing* silat until it is movement based on a real understanding gained from your own epiphany ... e.g. you *know* how *you* move at a deep level ... your movement ripens so to speak ... greget (integrated), sengkuh ora mingkuh (unshakeable or deeply rooted) and sawiji (as one/unity) ... and that points to it's "spirituality" fwiw.

Everyone is spiritual in their own way (and it doesn't necessarily include religion). How you view your relationship to life etc is spiritual ... it isn't anything other than that.

Degrees of spirituality? It is completely subjective.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  10. Wali

Wali Valued Member

My point was quite clear in that the word Orasyon is a direct derivative of the Spanish word Oracion and not a direct derivative of the Latin.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And at the risk of being pedantic if you re-read my post it is ORIGINALLY Latin then Spanish - language of the Catholic Church is Latin hence the inscriptions are typically Latin

I think this is getting picky though as the Soanish word is the DIRECT influencer

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not an argument worth having, guys. "Orasyon" is clearly derived from the Spanish, as it's the Spanish who were physically in the Philippines. The Spanish, in turn, got it from the Latin.

Tempest. Teapot. *End transmission*