Crystal Healing

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cheesypeas, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The reason rocks and crystals are regarded as having healing properties is in all honesty very likely because they look pretty.

That's bang on the money. My wife has friend that's into all this crystal rubbish and insists that when you buy a crystal "it" must be the cirrect one for your energy. It is attuned to you and you must "feel" which is the right one.
    I guarantee...guarantee...that no one EVER buys a crystal that looks like a lump of turd. They will always be "attuned" to a nice pretty one.

Coincidence? Not likely!

(PS...Apologies if I've already posted this before..I might have.)

2. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

I believe that the reason a lot (not all) of alternative therapies and some mainstream therapies are seen to work is due to the time it takes for these therapies to work. I think that they work because they give hope to cling to whilst your body heals its-self. Some people would rather pin the healing to a miraculous cure than say they just got better.

That said I do believe positive thinking and happiness will help you recover more quickly so these therapies are indirectly helping some people.

The trouble of course comes when people place all their belief in an alternative cure and ignore the doctor. Even when surgery is required.

3. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

ha ha, made me chuckle....
    crystal therapy IMO is a load of crock

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

:D

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think 'crystal healing' only works in California. :rolleyes:

6. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

I,m glad to see that most people think its a load of crap, which it is. A crystal on its own has the same healing power as a brick. I know that in some countrys people pay to have crystals inserted just under their skin and think these will protect them :rolleyes:

In ancient times I think people did not believe crystals had power themselves but used them as objects to meditate on ie various colours have psychological effects if strongly visualised and meditated on. This may have some benefit but you could just use a coloured paper and it would have the same effect.

7. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

An old school friend of mine is a doctor in a large local hospital. He broke his arm a few years ago and, as an experiment, he placed several long thin 'wands' of clear quartz along half the broken bones and left the other half unadorned.

The bone growth where the crystals were placed was noticably thicker.

We both draw no conclusions from this, simply noting a phenomena that also had the radiologist baffled.

disclaimer....I am making NO claims for crystal healing, just relaying a factual event!

8. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

It's hard to take your disclaimer seriously since it essentially is an indisputable account of how someone healed quicker due to crystals. It's a disclaimer in the same vein as earlier in the thread when you 'disclaimed' that you weren't suggesting crystals having healing powers while in the same line mentioning that you were testing the theory that they lose colour when they heal. It's impossible to disprove anecdotes but anecdotes really prove nothing... look up any crazy health claim you can think of and I guarantee you there will be a tonne of anecdotes proving that they work.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

ROFTLMAO!!!!.... I'm running out right now to buy a crystal that looks like a lump of turd... if for no other reason than to be the contrarian!!! :D

10. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

And maybe you can start talking people into its healing powers and get to rub your turdy looking crystal on their heads. Realign their chakras or somesuch.

Have you ever noticed that most of the crystals used look rather phallus-like? Hmmmmm- think there might be a link?

11. slipthejab

Actually it'd be great if I could get them all worshipping my sphincter. You know... as the birth place of turdy looking crystals! I can see it now... the faithful lining up for miles for me to rub my ass on their heads. I think I'm on to something.

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Truly hilarious :D

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In a similar vein I saw a woman that drew people's "auras" at a craft fair.
    She had a photocopied head outline and then got her pens and crayons out, squinted at people, pretended to "see" their aura and then coloured what she "saw" on the outline. She would then "interpret" what she had "seen" (damn I'm using a lot of quote marks there).
    £5 a pop thank you very much.
    Bizarrely enough, all the women's auras she drew that day (and it was ALL women) tended to be nice lilacs, blues, greens and yellows with flowing amorphous shapes.
    Not a single one was all jaggedy, black and brown with big red blotches.

Coincidence?
    Again...no.

She gave people what they wanted. And what they wanted was to be told that their "aura" showed that they were generous, kind, loving and all that.
    No one got a reading that said they were moody bitches, that snapped at their kids and gave their husbands an earful when he comes home from the pub.
    Even though a very large percentage of women in Britain are like that.

Ridiculous stuff.

14. slipthejab

BWHAHAHAHA!!!!
    You're nailing it. Abso-fricken-lutely nailing it!!!! :D

15. hapkidoangel

hapkidoangel New Member

Hi Lou,
    Just wanted to say that as a qualified crystal therapist and down to earth lady, I agree that claims should NOT be made about "cures for cancer". My husband died from cancer last year and I wish with all my heart that there had been a crystal that could have cured him. I used crystals to help alleviate his pain, especially in the latter stages. Unfortunately the programme you watched gives the genuine crystal therapists a bad name. False hope should never be given out. That is as upsetting for the carer as the sufferer. Take care.

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Hi there, that's awful, sorry to hear that :( Hey if it helps people get through things ,then fair enough, but when huge claims are made it just seems really sad that some people pin their hopes on it.

17. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Bsclf

Total crap but as usual there are people that will be sucked in by it and there will always be conmen that see the fools and the cashs.

18. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Placebos have been proven to be very effect. If people believe that crystals, shrunken squirrel heads, shiney material or anything else will help them/cure them, then the effect of 'positivity' will kick in.

The only issue should be the charlaetons that charge vast amounts of money from scared and vulnerable people.

19. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

The thing is though when you're selling something that has no therapeutic effect beyond the placebo effect how do you tell the difference between a charlatan and a 'genuine' practitioner? Is it simply if someone believes in what they are selling? Positivity helps but on it's own it's extremely likely to cure cancer. People like to provide anecdotes of individuals who thought positively and beat their cancer and while such tales can be inspirational I also think they contain the damaging idea that your mindset determines whether you will survive cancer. But reality doesn't work like that people with extremely positive mindsets still die from cancer and people with nihlistic mindsets still survive. It's not entirely down to your mental attitude. One such example I can think of is Andy Hug the famous kickboxer who died from leukemia despite being in top physical condition and vowing to fight the disease with everything he had. I doubt many people have a will as strong as him and yet he's not around today.

EDIT: Something is up with my i's. When I try to edit they are all capitals but they are displaying as lower case... please ignore.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Just out of interest, how does this gel with the new trading standards ruling that came into force recently? I can't remember the wording but wasn't it concerned with things such as fortune tellers and mediums, that kind of thing?