Crying Foul At The Bujinkan

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Sbucks74, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

Hi, new to this forum, but the main consensus is the Bujinkan.

Now before you all start to kick off and moan, Ninjutsu as all the other Arts when taught and practiced correctly is unique in it's own way.

It does not make it easy as most people think of black jim-jam's, ski-masks and roof-tops. Unfortunately a lot of people actually do this, which in turn gives Ninjutsu a bad rep.

We left the Bujinkan 8 years ago. Due to poor seminars, run by poor Shihan's clamboring for best spot and a really poor grading system.

The main problem every one has and knows with the Bujinkan is it's farcical grading system.

Before you fire off, our club went to a seminar, and we witnessed something truly amazing........

A 4th Kyu got graded to 1st Dan because he has good Martial Spirit and trains weekly. :bang:

We thought we had seen the last of this 8 years ago.

But it is still rife. The problem is the people who run the Bujinkan not the Art.
    As far as I'm concerned with Ninjutsu the Ten Chi Jin has a solid foundation.
    But as for the Bujinkan, Ninjutsu does not have to be taught by the Bujinkan.

There is a lot Bujinkan members slagging other styles of Ninjutsu Schools or clubs that have left because it does not come from Hatsumi's mouth.

His words are not gospel and he is far from the messiah.

Anyone who say's it has to be done my way is no better than a fundamental extremist.

This is a quote from our Shidoshi on our website.

On the Bujinkan and why we left​

Although there are many excellent Martial Artist within the Bujinkan, the Grading System is farcical!

Frankly there are some very Senior Grades who not only have no Martial Spirit but also struggle to put one foot in front of another. Who has ever heard of a 15thDan?

What is that all about?

If you are a good Martial Artist within the Bujinkan you know what I mean, although you probably won’t say, and if you are upset by this then sorry, but you are probably rubbish.

We don't get invited to many anymore LOL

We have Video's on You Tube, that contain the norm, ****-ups, mild swearing and bruising and general dark humour.

If you want the web-site its:
    www.jagmartialarts.com

Click here for the You-Tube.

We are all training to better ourselves and as Martial Artist we are all on the same road. Just in different modes of Transport.

Train Hard. Train Well

Steve

2. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

I love these kinds of posts.

The bujinkan sucks so I left. Now I train in.. .er.. Bujinkan.. uh.. wait...

If you don't like being part of it, that's fine. But go do something else.

At least your honest, and we know that you are getting no type of instruction in the martial art of your choice. We can watch your videos and see the ceiling we will soon hit.

3. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Well said.

4. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Why are you using a word which refers to a Bujinkan license gained through the Bujinkan ranking system if you think it's a joke?

5. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

You need to read properly and reply better, but it is what I expected, having a response so quick.

We are not in the Bujinkan and I never said it sucked I said that the grading system is farcical and that is why we left, and why its gets a bad rep.

Also that Ninjutsu does not have to come from the Bujinkan. Like the many schools of Karate or Thai, TKD, Wing Chun, MMA, Kick-Boxing that are out there that brag you can only learn it from us.

6. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

Why are you using a word which refers to a Bujinkan license gained through the Bujinkan ranking system if you think it's a joke?

Errr if you have a car license and take to another country it is still a valid car license.

7. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

You are missing his point.

You say grading is farcical. Then you refer to someone by their (farcical) grade.

Most of us in the BJK don't claim to teach much in the way of ninjutsu. And you are right - it doesn't "have" to come from the BJK. But even with the farcical grading in the BJK - you are more likely to run into Ninjutsu with a BJK instructor than you will with someone who claims the TenChiJin Ryaku no Maki is a good source for Ninjutsu.

Don't worry - I don't expect you to get that one.

-Daniel

PS. Looks like you guys are enjoying yourselves - so good on you mate. Why are you out here exactly again?

8. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

Not the ranking system. Of how people get graded. one minute your a 4th Kyu next a Shodan.

Thats what is farcical or a joke

9. Hissatsu

Because of blind curiosity - how exactly do you separate grading and the ranking system? Does your instructor know you are out here promoting him like this?

-Daniel

10. Hissatsu

More to the point - how exactly did you think this would end?

(besides... badly... very bady... as in "OMG I didn't want to watch but I couldn't take my eyes off of it")

-Daniel

11. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

The Boss/Sensei/Sifu/Shidoshi was trained and passed under the BJK and as before, came out of the BJK for the lack of control on the grading system, not rank.
    As for the TCJRNM it is good for basics, that is what the Yanks always quote us on.

Nah we are here as I got my padded jacket taken off and I can finally reach the keyboard again.

12. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

I am saying how the grades are awarded in the BJK, not the ranking system.

Yes he Does

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hah...that instructor might have left the Bujinkan but he's adopted the really arrogant, "fighting is simple", "I don't even need to look", "go play" teaching demeanor common to many Booj instructors hook line and sinker.
    His teaching style almost made me vomit.

14. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Source: [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTXuQxujyr4[/link]

BTW, I've read the word "farcical" more times in the last hour, than I have in my entire life. Is this a UK thing? Or just dramatization?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  15. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Except that your entire issue was the legitimacy of said gradings/licences.

If they're illegitimate then you shouldn't advertise them. It's like someone railing against diploma mills and then signing the letter with "John Doe Ph.D ' 00 from '25-bucks-and-a-degree University"

16. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

You can't have it both ways.

If rank in the bujinkan is a farce, then the rank that is mentioned on your promotions is also a farce.

edit: stephenk beat me to it.

17. deivu

deivu Valued Member

Honestly I believe that most people here really don't give a rats **** about the grading in the Bujinkan. It is pretty common here for members to think the BJK grading system is not very good to put it mildly.

With that said Sbucks74 I don't think most people here like it when you call the ranking system farcical, they are also a little testy when new people come in here and speak negatively about the Bujinkan. No one is saying you don't have the right but expect a lashing in some form of another.

I have actually seen your videos on youtube and subscribe to it. I like the way you move and train in the videos. I also agree that the BJK is not the only place to learn ninjutsu, bujutsu, taijutsu whatever people prefer to refer to it as. I too train in an indy school with someone who has train in 2 of the X-Kans and other forms of bujutsu and jujutsu.

While what I study is rooted inn Takamatsu-den arts, it is a different beast. There are similarities but we move different, we train a lot more physically than most BJK and are less formal than most GBK dojos. I'm not saying what i do is better its just better for me.

18. deivu

deivu Valued Member

I didnt know shidoshi was a title used only in the Bujinkan, I remember calling my first instructor Shidoshi, and I know of a few other places where the instructor was referred to as Shidoshi and they Nothing to do with the BJK.

19. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

I think I remember reading that it's not a word typically used when referring specifically to martial arts, and that Soke chose to use it for that reason... I think.

20. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

True but in style RVD Ninjutsu goes off the same principle, give me $300 and I send you some DVD's and a Dan Grade Cert, or give me a $10,000 and you can be an Instructor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.