Crying Baby Theory & other Women SD Email Tips

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by KickChick, Nov 1, 2004.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

There is an email circulating currently regarding Women's Self Defense Tips.

I get so many of them and usually go and check out their validity at snopes or other email validity sites.

Here is the new email I speak of:

We can now add to the list of victims the retired 77 yr. old TCU professor from Ft Worth whose body was found last week in Oklahoma--and the 11 yr.old in Sarasota, FL. Because of these recent abductions in daylight hours, refresh yourself of these things too do in an emergency situation...This is for you, and for you to share with your wife, your children, everyone you know.
    After reading this, forward it to someone you care about. It never hurts to be careful in this crazy world we live in.

1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!

2. Learned this from a tourist guide in New Orleans. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you....chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.

4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON'T DO THIS!) The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.

5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:
    A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.

B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.

C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
    IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)

6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)

7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, Preferably in a zig-zag pattern!

8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP. It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.

************* Here it is the Crying Baby Theory*******
    9. Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her "Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door."

The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, "We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door." He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby's cries outside their doors when they're home! alone at night.

Please pass this on and DO NOT open the door for a crying baby.----This e-mail should probably be taken seriously because the Crying Baby theory was mentioned on America's Most Wanted television show this past Saturday when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana.

I'd like you to forward this to all the women you know. It may save a life. A candle is not dimmed by lighting another candle. I was going to send this to the ladies only, but guys, if you love your mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, etc., you may want to pass it onto them, as well.

Send this to any woman you know that may need to be reminded that the world we live in has a lot of crazies in it and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Shannon LaForge
    Courtroom Deputy to Judge Robert Junell
    U.S. District Court for the Western District"

I was obviously sent this because of Tip #1 ;) ... er uh ok the elbow huh??

What do you think of the rest of these tips?

Good info for women ?

What about this "Crying Baby Theory" .... ??

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

The crying baby sounds like a typical email hoax.

The rest of the tips are pretty good.

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

After further investigation it is a HOAX

Why is it that these hoax's seem to target at women especially their safety?

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Figured as much - it had all the hallmarks.

Why? Because hoaxers go for maximum effect and see women as an easy target.

5. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

I really like this one, seems VERY sensible.

But I'm REALLY not convinced about this one. So you end up trapped in a steel box with the guy, potentially indefinately. I think I'd be inclined to go for the 'fire exits on every floor and room to run' stairway option.. :rolleyes:

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I thought the very same thing of both those tips.

7. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I definitely agree with locking the car doors. I'm always amazed that people still drive around in developed areas with their car doors unlocked. Why make it easy for an intruder to just open your car door and get in while you're sitting at a red light? I would never dream of driving anywhere without all four doors being locked (and I usually keep all of the windows rolled up, too -- if it's hot, I use the air conditioning).

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

good tips :) good thread :)

and I have to agree with Ninja's tip concerning the elevator.

9. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

Very good indeed.
    You coould start "collecting" these tips, make a thread, lock it and unlock only to add more info. It would save the thread of unimportant adds (like my message here ) :D It could be a good place to look for SD tips :eek:

10. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

I totally endorse point 5: LOOK INSIDE THE CAR BEFORE YOU GET IN.

In the UK it is easy to park in daylight and return in the evening only to realise it is a badly lit area. Anxious about walking to the car you forget to check inside, where an attacker may be waiting in the back seat footwells. ALWAYS check your car before getting in. ( I used to write crime prevention publications for UK police authorities and this advice was given - but rarely heeded.)

In the UK we also have cars which cannot be locked from the inside, e.g. the Ford Fiesta up to 2003 - this is a disgrace. If YOU have such a car, complain to the manufacturer - if they get enough gripes, they will change.

Thankfully, crime is rarer than we imagine, and there are plent of guys who make money from frightening women into buying useless devices and crap SD courses. Time our governments took this in hand - it's more important than scaring us with Al Quaeda IMHO!!

11. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Urgh, not that stupid bloody stereotype of women's 'natural mothering instinct.'

Too true. I get sick of hearing how I need to overcome my fear of fighting.

12. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

i complusively check my car when i get in it, especially at night. Just to make sure no one is lurking in the back seats. I read a crime/thriller where the murder did that and it freaked me out enough to check. BUT it's still a good idea :)
    good tips though. never thought about throwing my wallet in the other direction before running but thats a genius idea!

13. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Not only women would open the door to a crying baby....think new fathers for instance, and despite it being a hoax, i think the underlying message is more important....

do not open the door to anything that sounds/looks suspicious, call the authorities.

And very good advice it is....i always peek out a window to see who is there, or call out......if there is no answer, i go to the back door and upstairs windows to check out the area....ive often just not opened the door thinking...if its important, they can call back....

14. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

The one thing that this fails to address is the fact that more often than not a woman knows her attacker. This is something that I've only really come to internalize as a result of another thread on MAP.

Yes random attacks do happen. And we should be prepared. But I think we also need to spread the word that chances are that an attack is going to come from a far more dangerous source: someone you "love" (love is in quotes because it's a loaded term).

These types of e-mails seem to suggest however that the streets are the most dangerous place, when statistically, it's the home.

Great comments otherwise!

- Matt

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  15. Kunoichi

Kunoichi Valued Member

I recieved that email and im relieved that the crying baby theory is a hoax since when I read it it sent shivers down my spine. I did however read on a forum (I cant remember if it was this one or another) that people were pretending that their car had broken down on quite secluded roads so people would stop and help them. When they did this they were attacked and mugged. I'm sure that these incidents are not a hoax.

Its sad when its dangerous to help others and its sad to see how low crooks will go :(