crosstraining with aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by cbraves85, Jun 28, 2005.

1. cbraves85

cbraves85 Valued Member

What would be a good style to crosstrain with while studying aikido. Would i wanna look towards more of a striking or grappling style that could mix fairly well with the soft style of aikido.

2. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Probably striking would be best as Aikido is a lot closer to being a grappling art than a striking one. I did TKD and Aikido and found that the footwork from Aikido didnt really allow me to kick with TKD style kicks but the locks shown where a usefull suplememnt to wat I learned in TKD.

Maybe something like boxing would be good? It's fairly simple and you can always use a decent punch.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Muay Thai works well with many of the moves in Aikdio. Obviously the MT is the striking end of things. I suggest thought that you get a solid foundation in one or the odther before attempting to mix the two. Aikido had the longer learning curve... many of the techniques are far more sublte than in Aikido.

Many of the Aikido moves leave beautiful openings for throwing knees and elbows. Though (some may correct me if I am wrong) mixing the moves of Aikido with the strikes of MT is careening greatly off the path of Aikido that O-Sensei strived to perfect. Philisophically incompatible.

If you care about that sort of thing.

4. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Right on brother !

Philosophy won't stop a 200lb mugger.

Regards

5. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

You don't say what your intention is ... do you want to improve your self-defence / general fighting abilities, have a more rounded physical development, or what?

I've done MA for 18 years, most of it striking-only styles (though a year each of Judo and Ju-Jitsu in there too), and started Aikido just three months ago.

A kickboxing style (american kickboxing, muay thai or savate) is pretty much diametrically opposed to aikido, and therefore should work well to tackle the stuff that aikido misses. Being able to box in some form is pretty much essential to self defence too IMHO.

If you want something that will "fit" with aikido (i.e. have some overlap and be able to extend your aikido easily) then Judo or trad Ju-Jitsu may be a better bet. Judo is VERY good for fitness too.

6. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

Good point

I have started both aikido and thai boxing 3 years ago. It was a bit confuzzelling at first, I unintentionally mixed stances and cross-used different ma ais ('fighting distances).
    Besides that, I tried to actually mix both MA's and make my own combo's. While this is possible from my current situation, it quicly became clear that at first, I had to treat both MA's seperately.

Now that I have some experience in both aikido and thai boxing, I can say that they complement eachother VERY well.
    Aikido gives me the necessary evasive and controlling/throwing skills, while thai boxing increases my striking capabillity (both on the giving and the recieving end) and blocks.

I still have a minor problem though. While thai boxing increases my strength, I am to use less strength in aikido. This was one of the criticisms on my last aikido exam: I was told to use less force and more movement.
    But I think small setbacks like these are well worth the benefits of cross training. The broader experience you get from training in complementary stiles can be huge. But that's the opinion of this little MAist. :cool:

However, if you want something that mixes with the 'softer' filosophy of aikido, I wouldn't recommend thai boxing. Neither would I recommend Judo. Although it means 'the gentle way', a judo class will be way to power oriented for aikido filosophy (I have trained in this MA for 3 years when I was a kid).
    Considering the above, you may try jiu jitsu. Both jiu jitsu and aikido have roots in similar older styles, and jiu jitsu will give you more striking experience (no pun intended).

Good luck with your search.

7. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Sometimes, when in Aikido, I still put my guard up before I punch to the head :)

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Learning better strikeing skills is in noway against the philosophy of Aikido. While it might be an ideal goal to end a conflict without injuary or altercation. Aikidoka aren't dumb and we know this is not always possible. Which could be the reason why Aikido does include strikes of it's own. This does of course depend on the style and more so on the teacher.

9. aiki-jo

aiki-jo New Member

Cross training is a GREAT idea with any style. I would cross train in a style that has more grappling in it. Plus cross-training in another style may offer a quicker way to learn. Aikido could take years to effectively learn and use it. Consider a jujitsu style that also incorporates striking. This way you get the best of both worlds.

10. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

True.

I wasn't referring to better striking skills when I voted against Muay Thai for crosstraining if you value the softer philosophy. I was referring to the 'clobber your opponent' aspect of Muay Thai which conflicts with aikido philosophy.
    But if you, like I said, treat both MA's seperately, that shouldn't be a problem. It will give a very broad view on MA! Especially if you value self defence skill, I guess.

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

This an interesting thread. I'm going to university in Sept and the clubs available are Akido and Judo, both MAs that I'm very interested in leaning. Given that I have no experience of either (other than having been dumped on my back several times by a friend at my club who used to do Judo!) I was wondering if the general concensus was that the two shouldn't be mixed in the begining?

I'm well aware of training too widely and I wouldn't want to end up confusing myself horribly!

12. Dave Humm

Training in two disciplines can be a problem especially if you are new to both from the off set.

My advice would be to devote yourself to one for a period of time until you have an understanding of the underlying principles then, cross train however, even then you may feel conflict between the two.

The key is keeping them seperate as specific arts and merging them through your own understanding of what you want/need from them both. I'm sure you can see that 'until' you know exactly what you want from your arts, confusion may be a problem.

Regards

13. Gjall

Gjall New Member

Any striking style should be excellent. I have mixed aikido with my kempo training and it blended quite well

14. MasteR-[G]

MasteR-[G] New Member

is 4 months already okay to cross train another MA?

15. Dave Humm

That would all depend on you as a student, how many times per week you train, how well you understand the art against another you wish to study.

As an instructor, if one of my students wished to train in another art, I wouldn't be placing a particular time constraint upon that person, merely looking to see the student grasp the basis of Kihon waza. That could take years in some cases.

Naturally I'm not a dogmatic or dictatorial instructor, people are free to do what they wish outside the dojo which I organise however; it is easy to see 'conflict' in students who study arts which, ultimately may compliment each other, but only after the student is able to draw upon each art in a specific way and not, mix whatever principles which might otherwise clash (for want of a better expression).

Regards

16. aiki-jo

aiki-jo New Member

Complete Non-Sense!!!

There's is no reason in the world why you can't learn Aikido and learn boxing (for example) at the same time, regardless of skill level. To have underlying principles in Aikido could and should take years. What if someone wants to learn principles but also be able to fight in the short term? The one problem I could see is, learning something that is superior to the other. If that's the case, then you need to choose styles that compliment one another.

17. Dave Humm

If you had half a brain you would have noted the ...

"can be a problem" as in 'might be' 'possibility'

There was no definitive statement like "it will be a problem"

I think you just like to sit in this forum and spout BS.

I note that you don't have a lot to say in the JJ forum... I wonder why that is ?

18. aiki-jo

aiki-jo New Member

Dave,

I checked, I do have half a brain. :) And if you keep insulting me with the name calling, I will have to address that with the admin of this forum.

Why even bother making the statement about it 'possibly' being a problem. Are you trying to deter someone from training outside of Aikido? Are you concerned that they may see something better? Honestly, I do not spend a lot of time in that forum (no particular reason). But thank you for bringing that to my attention. I'll have to spend some time there and in the Hapkido forum as well.

Back to the subject...

Feel free to train in as many styles as you like. I think as you continue training, you'll eventually find something that completely takes your mind and heart. Then you can devote all of your time and attention to that style.

19. Dave Humm

Fell free to take your complaint up with with an admin

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Ok i think everybody should settle down here. Nobody should be insulting anybody. And that is a definative statement directed at everybody. :)

This is actually a question that crops up time and again over in Beginners. Some people take to learning several martial arts and do it very well. While on the other hand some people find one martial art more than they can handle. It's something the individual has to come to terms with and decide where they fall. As I have said over in beginners many times. The only way you'll find out is to get involved. Or words to that effect. :)