Cross trainig my TKD with BJJ

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Rhythmkiller, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Hi Guys,

Would like to hear your thoughts on this. I am starting one class a week BJJ with an outfit called Scottish Hit Squad. http://www.scottishhitsquad.co.uk/ - the guy I emailed was really quick on getting back to me, I told him what I was looking for and asked the price of the class, which seems excellent value for money.

Is one class a week enough? I really just want an introduction to a grappling art as I already do a striking one (TKD).

Any info from BJJ guys here would be great.

What can I expect?

How much equipment do I need?

Cost of equipment?

Baza

2. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

You'll get better with one class a week, but it will be frustrating because it will be very slow. The only gear you'll need is a gi if you're training in it or some shorts that won't injure your training partners (i.e. no metal studs or whatever) and a t-shirt for no gi.

3. Rhythmkiller

Thanks mate,

Looking forward to starting, was supposed to start tomorrow night but my wife just reminded me it's her Birthday. Which i actually knew but misplaced in my head somewhere.

Will be good though, anybody know anything about the club though reputation wise?

Baza

4. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

For an intro one day a week is OK . Like most anything else it's not enough to really improve.

5. Rhythmkiller

Yeah i'm really just looking for an introduction. The fellow at the gym said i could wear any Gi i like. As my main art will be TKD i won't be spending huge amounts on BJJ but would like some advice on the Gi. I found this one that looked cool, looking cool in regards to choice of Gi is all i can go on right now. The price range for a Gi is between £50-£60. Any suggestions.

http://www.grapplestore.co.uk/blitz-lutador-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-gi/

Baza

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  6. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

7. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Do not get frustrated. I've even seen Judoka have trouble with ground work (they might be really good at stand up...but even they can be unfamiliar with ground work the way it would be done with BJJ). Naturally a TKDist will be even further behind than a Judoka. So be patient, don't spazz out, and make like a sponge.

8. Rhythmkiller

Thanks Aaron advice well noted,

Funny things is though having been involved in fights duringt my lifetime as most people have at some point i somehow feel more comfortable on the ground. I am expecting to be taken to task though but looking forward to it.

Baza

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I wore an old £20 Judo gi for the first few months of BJJ.
    Then got a nice koral one that I remember being hella expensive because BJJ gi's weren't that freely available back then.

10. Rhythmkiller

They definately look more hard wearing than my dobok though.

Baza

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Absolutely. Doboks are pretty useless for training IMHO.
    You can't grab them and rag people about.
    But they aren't as comfortable or "throw away" as a simple t-shirt.
    They don't really perform any training function very well.

I've just bought a Blitz Ju Jutsu gi (not BJJ gi) and I think people that do Karate and TKD should aim at wearing something like that for general training.
    It's reinforced where needed, 14oz so you can grab it and grapple to some degree but not so bulky as a full Judo gi so it still "snaps" when doing striking.

12. Rhythmkiller

The differences in Gi are something i'll need to get used particularly as i like wearing light things. Struggle even with my dobok because i don't like things covering my arms. Gonna buy one of those tatami Gi's though. A few people have recommended them.

Baza

13. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

As others have said, training once a week is fine for starting. You will learn and progress, but at a slower pace compared to others. That said, you will be far far better than someone who doesn't train groundwork/BJJ.

I agree with PASmith, a cheap judo gi is all you need for training. If you want to get serious about BJJ or compete, you will need a better quality BJJ gi (judo gi's aren't legal in IBJJF tournaments usually). No point in spending a lot of money only to find out you aren't that keen on BJJ.

Also check out other classes. There is a Royce Gracie Black Belt in Glasgow:

http://www.roycegraciescotland.com/

Although I've heard they teach Gracie Jiu Jitsu, which is more to do with self defence than competitions. From my experience there is a lot of cross over though.

Or Gracie Barra Scotland:

http://www.graciebarrascotland.com/about-us/

Try a few classes and see what fits best.

One last point is that I have seen TKD black belts come over to BJJ before. Although their training, from a technical point of view, is no use in BJJ, the flexibilty and explosiveness from their TKD training can be an asset in BJJ.

14. Rhythmkiller

Thanks Pizewriter,

I know of the two gyms you have posted but they are about 20 miles from me, 30 from my work. As i finish work at 5 it's going to be a struggle getting the one i'm going to.

Baza

15. WhiteDragonD

WhiteDragonD New Member

You also need a groin cup and a mouth peice for serious rolling. YOU NEED A GROIN CUP!

Mouth piece will come when you do some aggressive rolls.

I do BJJ and it is very fun and I am also a TKD expert. I am not a BJJ xpert though. My friend is. What is a great thing is gracie combatives. Buy the DVDs and roll at home with your TKD buddies! But training at a gym is cool too!

Link removed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
  16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

WhiteDragon, this is the third time the link back to your website has been removed.

Please read the ToS in regard to advertising.

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'd second the point about not getting frustrated. There will come a point where guys who started much later than you (but are training more frequently) will be tapping you out at will. That can knock your confidence for six. BJJ is a complex art which needs - nay, demands - real investment of your time if you want to make tangible progress.