Cross MA training, beneficial or harmful?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mafibre, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Mafibre

Mafibre New Member

Hi there,

This is my first post and my first time on this forumn. Go easy on me!

I have been training Wing Chun for some years now and other than a brief 6 month stint training Kickboxing also, I have mainly focused on my WC training. I train regularly between 1-4 times a week.

I love Wing Chun and my training however we only sparr once a month. I find it hard to have confidence in my own abilities although I know the system and techniques Etc work.

Recently I decided to also take up sanda/sanshou once per week. I am thoroughly enjoying this training also as it allows me to sparr once a week for experience (although not wing Chun style) and fitness.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever cross trained in two arts/sports that are so different.

Also I would really appreciate opinions on whether you think that cross training in this way will better my skill as a MA or simply water down my over all abilities in a single art.

I also struggle to use any of my WC knowledge when pitted against another partner in my sanda training. I understand the rules are different and I am wearing Boxing gloves for this. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on how you could incorporate this style and striking into a sparring setting of sorts?

I hope my post isn't too long winded or confusing and I conveyed my questions well.

Thanks for reading and I thank you for your comments in advance.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

One might take this as an alarm bell...

3. Mafibre

Mafibre New Member

I find my sparring partners are usually those who have trained sanda for a lot longer than any of my MA training.

When I am sparring with others, wearing no gloves I find my Wing Chun sparring is effective.

What would you make of this?

4. David Harrison

Well, it is really for you to experiment with and know for yourself.

When you spar without gloves, is the pressure as realistic as when you spar with them?

What size gloves do you wear in sanda? Could you try with smaller gloves as a compromise, like MMA gloves? They still allow you to parry and trap.

Could you try to use your sanda style in WC sparring (without breaking any of the sparring rules, of course)? See how that works?

5. David Harrison

Oh, and PS:

Welcome! :)

6. Mafibre

Mafibre New Member

Thanks for the reply David,

Let me try and come across clearer. When sparring using my WC training, it is full contact and my partner is attacking full power and speed. I wear mitts for this and I have no problem striking, folding, grappling and overcoming my partner. This is against someone attacking me from a boxer, or from a street attackers stance.

When I sparr Sanda, I suppose I am trying to sparr like I should be for the sport, and I have been using 16oz gloves. I think what I struggle with is to get in close for my strikes, generating power with the low elbow telegraph striking, and folding, overcoming there attacks etc...part of me thinks it may be down to the restrictions of the sparring equipment, however I feel like I should be able to overcome at least some times, and that I should be seeing more opportunities to strike, trap, and close in on my opponent.

I have recently started to up my WC sparring and plan to keep it up once per week, maybe this is why I struggle to use it, due to my lack of experience in real pressure from an experienced, seasoned fighter?

7. David Harrison

I apologise in advance for the hint of doubt; but you honestly get attacked full speed and power on a monthly basis in WC? What are the injury rates like?

Personally, I'd feel let down if I'd trained in something for years and struggled to make it work against other styles, no matter what equipment or rules were used. Though, you may be right about just needing more practice in applying it in sparring.

I'm not saying your WC training does this, but it is very easy to get into a false sense of security by playing fast slapsies in sparring and think you could make those strikes KO power if you needed to.

8. Mafibre

Mafibre New Member

When I sparr my WC, I have my opponent wear a full face and head guard, gum shield, they wear gloves to attack me, and I try to focus on striking, folding, and grappling. Of course I may hold back a little on the body shots.

I don't have a problem sparring at Sanda, but I just struggle to see where I could use my techniques from My WC when sparring, and my kicks etc...

This WC sparring is though as I said a fairly new thing. (Last six months) So no major injuries so far. And hopefully none in the future.

I mean when I train the sanda I am sparring as a sanda fighter, I have yet to try my WC techniques in the sparring. I just struggle to see where I can use the strikes against my opponent.

I find that I have used the odd Bong Sau and low elbow strike, but it's more I feel that I should see more opportunities to fold and strike against their attCks.

You cannot pak Sau and use some other shapes And movements in these sparring matches because of the gloves however you can parry etc.

I just feel that I myself should be seeing the potential attacks more.

Would you say that the cross training is going I be helpful?

Thanks, it's great to have another persons opinion.

9. Mafibre

Mafibre New Member

I have purchased a pair of fairtex 10oz gloves and so I am hoping that next time I sparr with smaller, more versatile gloves, I will have more speed and movement, allowing me more chances to use my WC striking, and folding some more mixed in with the sanda style sparring.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

They aren't that different. They're both striking arts, they're both "kung fu! Only difference is one works and one doesn't (I'm kidding.... kind of).

As long as you're comfortable training both I don't see why you would not want to continue, sparring regularly gives you a great representation of where you're at in terms of effectiveness.

11. Mafibre

Mafibre New Member

I know there os a lot of doubt about WC effectiveness but I find it does work when I'm not wearing gloves.

I think maybe the more I spare, the more that I will see opportunities and be able to use what I have learned. I find that the lack of sparring up until recently means that I lack confidence in myself and I am not so much used to applying my techniques in a fast, pressured environment.

Thanks for the input

12. David Harrison

Well, it's early days yet, so I'd say keep experimenting.

I think that it is very important to spar against other styles. As for training in multiple styles, as long as it doesn't confuse you or affect your reactions, I don't see why not, but that's something that only you and your instructors can work out and decide.

13. Mafibre

Mafibre New Member

A little background on me. I have been training WC for about 3 yrs, sanda for a few months, and sparring for about 6 months.

14. Pretty In Pink

If you are sparring regularly against other people who are using big gloves and fight with hooks and kicks, I reckon your wing chun skills will be solid. I can and straight blast and front kick the leg and all sorts, but that's because I have the basics of timing and distance. So yeah I might knock WC but understand that 95% of schools don't train in a realistic manner. So much respect to your sir for putting yourself out there :)

15. Mafibre

Mafibre New Member

Thank you for your input David, I think I will just aim to sparr more and see if it is just a matter of time and experience.

You've been very helpful!

16. David Harrison

6 months isn't a long time at all, especially if it's only been monthly and more recently weekly.

Keep at it!

17. Mafibre

Mafibre New Member

I think you are right, maybe I should use it more as a base for reaction, speed and shape training more than anything.

I think the more I spar in Sanda and use their kicks also I will see the opportunity to use the straight, centre line attacking kicks from WC. I guess it's just a learning curve.

i think I need to work out how to apply WC techniques, movements and shapes with large gloves on.

18. David Harrison

Even if the gloves change your form somewhat, you can still try to apply the principles of attacking the centreline with constant forward pressure.

19. Pretty In Pink

Well vertical fist works very well for slipping right through someone's guard. If they only do Sanda many will use their gloves for protection. You also have to ask yourself if you want to use WC every time. It's great now and again but it's a limited skill set so make sure you try Sanda techniques as well or in conjunction with WC.

20. Mafibre

Mafibre New Member

I have yet to try and implement this idea of forward pressure and centre line attacking properly, it's difficult with the grappling and fast straight strikes I come across with sanda training partners.