Crime and Punishment?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by StorDuff, Jun 15, 2004.

1. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Is this book good? I have been reading about it and would like to check it out, but 600 something pages seems like quite a hefty load to read, especially for someone who got bored midway through 1984. I don't think I have read a book above 300 pages, as it just doesn't hold my attention, although when a book rarely does I won't put it down til I am done. I'm sure a lot of you have read this book, and I'd just like some opinions on it.

And just for fun, how many pages was the longest single book (not volume) you have read? :eek:

2. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

The Bible -- over 2,000 pages! (Yes, I've read all of it!)

3. Speed

Speed New Member

Which book of Crime and Punishment are you reading? Who is the author? There are many books of that title out there by different authors. The version I read was by an old english criminologist from the 1800s. Its been like 5 years since I read the book so I don't remember the author's name right off hand. But the book discussed his theories on the criminal mind and which punishments should be applied which his thoughts are outdated.

4. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Fyodor Dostoevsky (sp?) :eek:

5. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Anywhoo, I got it for $5 at Half Price Books, and after about a week or so of reading I plan on finishing tomorrow. Most of the feedback I gathered in person was very negative, but I like it all so far. I'm going to start picking more novels to read at random. When I go back to the store this weekend I will pick up something by Gogol or Tolstoy :eek:

6. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Presumably you've read this by now, and realised what an absolute classic of literature it is. I would rate Crime and Punishment as one of the greatest novels ever written - studied it on the 'European Novel' course back in my undergraduate years, and it was easily the best book on that module, and one of the best on the whole degree.

The longest single book (we're not counting volumes, otherwise it would be the Complete Works of Shakespeare) is probably still War and Peace, which if memory serves comes in at about 1397 pages - would have to check, though. But like I said in another thread, it didn't need to be that long; Tolstoy indulged himself unnecessarily at various points.

7. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky is a classic.

A lot of the ideas of the novel are the same dilemas that would interest this guy

You get a real sense of the characters growing paranoia through the writing....its hard to explain but if feels uncomfortable and clostrafobic.
    I hate trying to exlain why a book is good without giving stuff away.

*ps, how do you make the web address appear as something else?
    Like all you guys do when you say click this, but when the person clicks, it takes them to the web page?

Ta

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  8. slideyfoot

Stick url=<entering your url here, without the triangley things of course> at the start and then /url at the end of the bit you want to act as the link (either a word, a sentence, the whole post, or even an image), both closed in square brackets [ ]. I also tend to put the link in bold too, but that depends on the board format - I'm used to ezboard, which doesn't always show up links too well, but less of a prob here.

9. semphoon

Hmmmm.

OK. Still dont get it. I mean, I can get the url part but not the clever little HERE/THIS etc

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/fo...ead.php?t=20385
    is the address.

I want it to say

HERE.

Anyway, classics like C&P are usually cheap. In the UK you can get 3 for 5 pounds (Sorry im in the US and the keyboards dont have a pound sign) out of bargain book or the like.

10. slideyfoot

Put url= followed immediately by the URL itself and /url in square brackets on either side of here. I'll show you with rounded brackets so the code doesn't go through - (url=www.flower-arrangingkungfu.com)here(/url). :)

11. semphoon

Ta

So in sum....

Crime and punishment...no bad.

12. slideyfoot

I'm getting the impression the person who first asked the question has either already read it, or doesn't care anymore. ;)

It is certainly the novel I have enjoyed (and been impressed by) the most out of the Russian authors I've read, although still haven't got all the way through Master and Margarita, and seeing as I've now given that book to my gf, could be a while before I do. :)

13. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I haven't read it *adds to list of books that I should read*

The longest book I can remember reading, I can't remember the length of the top of my head, but I think it was around 1700, though it might have been less. Great book too :D Great series.

14. slideyfoot

Tsk - and you call yourself booksie. For shame. :p

15. booksie_girl

Ok, that's it! Reservation made.

16. slideyfoot

Click here. Now you have no excuse! ;)

17. booksie_girl

The idea of reading a volume that size on a computer is not appealing :eek: I think I'll wait until I get it from the library. Like I said, I've already placed a reservation :D

18. slideyfoot

Oh, you meant it literally. My bad. :)

19. booksie_girl

Internet reservations are a wonderful thing :D

20. slideyfoot

I miss uni :cry: . Must get back for that PhD.