Creatine intake and Dairy products

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kat, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Anyone know if this is a good or bad thing for consumption of creatine?I was always recommended to take it with gluscose /honey in warm water in order to aid intake into stomach lining.I have the feeling that milk will create a resverse effect.just wondering,anyone with any points?

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Kat,

What is Creatine? I never heard of it.

Andy

3. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Creatine Monohydrate is a amino acid that is made by the body.You can take the stuff in order to increase power in anaerobic situations by way of increasing the amount of atp in response situation.
    This is sort of a breif overveiw,I will go and get all my facts straight and then give you the big story.

4. Feiloong

Feiloong New Member

You should take Creatine with a carbo drink, such as red grape juice or even other carbo load products. There are many on the market today. This way, the creatine will be absorbed much faster, and would be more beneficial (work better).

One thing you must remember, creatine is all about water retention. If you dont get to 'drain'yourself in what ever way, you might become all puffy and even flabby. It really helps with power, but personally, I think I can go with out. I picked up a good few pounds after taking the stuff.

I have had some friends who had very good results using creatine, and some even used with with a blend of ephhedrine or ma huang (I dont reccommend this). These last two drugs (for lack of better description) speeds up the metabolism, makes you perspire more, and so doing, help getting rid of unused water (but isn't water retention the whole point behind creatine then?who knows, gym guys are weird sometimes...)

If you are a martial artist, why do you even bother about creatine. I would suggest a good multi vitamin, maybe even a good protien supplement. Even better, start cultivating BETTER EATING HABBITS. :D

This is Feiloong, signing off....

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I used to use creatine and protein supplements because of my pretty heavy training schedule, given up now and rely solely on a balanced diet (or attempted balanced diet). If your going to use stuff like this it should be because you train very hard, ie several times a day, and your looking to get that extra boost.

Alternatively you can do what I do and just adapt your diet, your body will let you know what it needs, you just have to know the signs.

Thanx

6. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Hi gents
    Thanks for the info
    Yes I do train very hard,not so much for my MA but I do a lot of endurance events(cycling Running Walking)but my main sport is Rockclimbing.I use the creatine not to gain weight (which is a bad thing in climbing)but to gain power in the anaerobic sense.Within climbing some moves require intense power and then still moderate power and quick recovery.I find it works well and continue to use it.My deit is quite refined and in all aspects very healthy but I am after that extra burst.
    But back to the question any one with any postive or negative info concerning creatine and dairy?

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

A friend if mine used to take creatine to help with his kickboxing and weight training. It seemed to make him more aggressive than he normally would be... we'd go out for a drink and he'd start a fight for no reason. It wasn't only me that noticed it either. Is this a common side affect of taking creatine, (if its one at all?)

Incidently Kat, he used to mix it with full fat milk and drink that. It was a vanillia flavoured powder mix, so mixing it with a card drink wouldn't have been too tasty i think. He used to add it to batter mix and make pancakes and things like that with it too. Sounds nicer that way if you ask me :)

8. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Thanks KG
    I am not to keen about the agro bit,I never got that sort of effect when using it with glucose.Sure he wasn't into the roids as well?
    Anyway I am giving it a try with full cream milk yoghurt and friut blended together.
    Will give it a few weeks and then tell you guys if there was any difference

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I tried it with Angel Delight once, but it wouldn't set. It turned into a butterscotch milkshake.

10. Feiloong

Feiloong New Member

creatine shoulnt make you aggro?

Maybe your friend mixed a few to many shakes.

Im also not to sure about mixing creatine monohyd with milk. It doesnt make sense to me, but I will go consult some old text books.

11. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

He used to drink about 2 - 3 pints of the stuff everyday. I'm not sure if thats a lot or not? As far as I know he wasn't taking roids, but not being with him 24/7 you can never tell 100% what someone's up to.

12. khafra

khafra New Member

You can't take a pint of creatine or you'll die. A pint of mixed creatine, perhaps, but 25g a day is all you need even for the loading phase, and 5g a day for maintenence. Creatine won't cause aggressiveness in a human, but steroids... even prohormones might, he needn't be doing anything illegal. To find out more than you ever wanted to know on all this, check out www.bodybuilding.com's forum and faq pages.

13. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I did say in a previous post that it was a Vanilla flavoured powdered mix btw, not a pint of actual creatine

14. khafra

khafra New Member

's good, I just wanted to make sure nobody went off and ate a pint of creatine monohydrate powder...

15. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Lol! It would have been fun to see him try that :D

16. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Creatine & Me

Here's my experience (for what it's worth) after taking Creatine in one form or another for the last 3 years or so...

Yes - it needs a simple carb transport system, but plain old sugar will do.

The "loading phase" is largely a marketing hype to sell more creatine. It helps a little but not at the dosages recommended. 15g per day for 3 days is ample.

If you're taking a good quality pure creatine and assimilating it properly - 5g per day is enough.

Pre-mixed ceatine systems like Cell Tech etc have absolutely NO additional effect other than by relieving you of money.

Not all "100% pure" creatine pweders are created equal. I've used cheap stuff and had to take 10g per day to get the benefit that 3-5g gives me of good quality stuff.

I currently use Prolab Creatine. I get 600g of powder, and a free Prolab T-Shirt, for £27.95 - postage & packing free!

Tried liquid Creatine Serum - didn't work for me - at all.

IF I'm doing a particularly heavy day in the gym I'll take an additional 3g with 5g of Glutamine after my workout.

Last edited: May 4, 2002