Creatine for health, not mass

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Zerodauto, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

I've recently read a few article on the newly discovered benefits of creatine other than the standard increase in muscles. I just have one question. I don't want to gain weight, so is it possible for me to take creatine and maintain my current weight? Or will it force me to become heavier from increased muscles?

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

its not the reason to take it but creatine does give your muscles a nice roundedness that can make you look a little bigger (or at least broader), don't worry nothing crazy without some serious work. How much weight you will gain will depend on the work you do while supplementing with creatine not the chemical its self. Why are you afraid of putting on weight ? its difficult to become stronger without putting on a little. Unless that's your goal or speeding recovery after and dallying the onset of fatigue during hard cardio or other rigorous training there really is no reason to take it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  3. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I cycle on and off just for grappling, not doing any weights right now, makes a great difference.

4. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I get good results by combining it with Beta Alanine when doing a phase of training other than weights, you should check it out.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Are you a vegetarian?
    You prolly don't need crEatine for recreational use otterwise.

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Are you insinuating that there is no use for creatine supplementation at all, I believe its 1 percent of the creatine in our bodies comes from our diet, we cook it out of most meat.

7. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

I box and don't want to go up a weight class

No, I'm not a vegetarian. It's just something I feel could be useful for my boxing training.

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Periodization, take it when your training general cardio/weights to improve strength and cut it out in the run up to a fight if you have to, Although I find that when you cut down your diet you can still take supplements right up till the weigh in.

9. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

Thanks

10. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Ignore the posts about "roundness to muscles" and vegetarianism.

Creatine won't necessarily increase your weight, what it will do is increase your power, therefore allow you to have a more effective workout, depending on your current level of strength and muscle mass, this could lead to more weight through muscle gain. It also increases your results from workouts, due to one being able to have a more effective workout.

It can increase testosterone levels again more effective workouts.

It can increase your growth hormone (better gains).

But these all depend on a lot of things.

If you're seeing good results, keep it up, if you start increasing weight (you're not going to suddenly double your weight in a week). Adjust your diet, increase cardio, if those don't help cut a little on the creatine (although I doubt this will be an issue).

Good luck.

11. Mangosteen

nah im insinuating that before supplementation should be used we need to consider the athlete in question.

1). Having his diet sorted and having a higher protein intake than your average ned is more important than creatine supplementation and will make his progress much better than the creatine he will more than likely pee out from disuse.
    2). Boxing doesn't rely on short/explosive work loads with long recovery like the ATP-PC cycle, which is what creatine supplementation, is used for. He'd be better off expanding his aerobic and lactic threshold to last the fight than he would taking creatine. E.G. Better S&C.

Supplementation is the last part of any training component. Get your diet and training sorted first.

12. Mangosteen

if i recall correct - the testosterone study was done on rubgy players and collegiate american football players (people who had their diet and training sorted)
    and the growth hormone study was actually IGF-1, and that was only people who had used resistance training for a year and continued to over the study with a structured routine.

theres no point recommending creatine supplementation to a person when we have no idea of their training background, current training and diet.
    Better that he get them sorted first before supplementation otherwise he'll just have expensive pee.

13. flaming

flaming Valued Member

If creatine has good effects on people with a good diet and training wouldn't it be just as effective for the layperson.

MOD note. No text speak please.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012
  14. thegummy

thegummy New Member

Creatine may cause weight gain from water retention but if you stopped the creatine before the weigh-in it would come back off.

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You're not going to gain an entire weight class from using creatine in a way not used to increase strength/size goals with weightlifting. That's been my experience anyways.

16. brisrocket

brisrocket Taekwondo instructor in Brisbane Australia

Does creatine naturally occur in any foods, or are supplements the only way to get a good 'boost'?

17. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes. http://www.livestrong.com/article/527467-foods-with-high-levels-of-creatine/

Creatine as a supplement is what supplements are meant to be . . . a supplement to a good diet consistent with your fitness goals. You can't find any supplement out there that isn't derived from actual foods.