Crap?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Joedub, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Joedub

Joedub New Member

2. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I don't see any huge red flags, not too much bragging about what great "masters" they are (the guys who call themselves masters too often make me think they aren't), it looks like they have a decent facility...it would probably be worth going in and watching a class. The "women only" class on the schedule is cool, their schedule looks well broken up into rankings (sort of) .

See if you can go watch a class, or maybe take one or two for free, see what you think of it. Can't hurt to try.

3. Joedub

Joedub New Member

out of every school that is around me this one looked legit. I am no expert in figuring out what is real and what is not so i figured i would ask the experts here.

Also is there anything i should look for when going to this place for the first time?

4. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

This may sound shallow, but I am put off by "black belt masters" that are grossly overweight and can't do the conditioning that the class does...

5. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

Joedub, Hanshi Craig Seavey and I just did a seminar there last month. Master Chris Hatch and Sensei Matt Barnes-Good people! Matt is a frequent contributor to the forums and I first met him an KenpoJoe Rebelo several years ago, I think in late 2001 or early 2002 at a Master Bill Chun Jr. Seminar hosted by Hanshi Seavey, co-head of NCK in Massachusetts. Matt is deep into the history of the arts and has done a lot of good research. I just met Chris Hatch last month. A real gentleman. They are the real deal and work extremely hard at what they do and have some great stuff. Solid martial artists. They are down to earth, no nonsense, humble and all round good guys to not only learn from but to socialize with. They keep up there studies always trying to learn and improve their art and I would go back there anytime to do a seminar. The students were totally respectful and very well disciplined. There lineage and system is all traceable and verfiable, no b.s. it was an honor to be hosted there. The school is set up very nicely, plenty of room, clean and a nice little Pro Shop. Go for it! Tell them I sent you. Respectfully, Prof. Joe Shuras

*Edits for typos

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  6. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

I have known Master Hatch and Sensei Barnes for over 6 years. We have been to many seminars together and judged many tournanments. They are both excellent martial artists with an excellent reputation on Cape Cod.
    You will not go wrong studying at their dojo.
    Say Hi to Master Hatch and Sensei Barnes from Joe V. :D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  7. Joedub

Joedub New Member

This is great news thanks for all the help it looks like i finally found a place that is good around here after all my time searching.
    Now do you guys know what type of Kempo they teach by any chance? I know it says kempo karate but what does that mean exactly and since some of you seem to know them i was wondering if you knew exactly what it was they taught.

8. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

from their proud association I would say you can get the most info about their style from http://www.kempojutsu.net/ or, that's the way it looks to me anyway.

9. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

Hey guys, I already gave Joe this info. but for the forum. They are originally from Masters of Self Defense under Bob Nohelty and Jimmy Bryant who were orignally under Fred Villari and then studied and made further ranks under Nick Cerio and George Pesare. After that, Chris and Matt also became affilliated with Professor Kimo Ferriera of the Walter Godin lineage-Sonny Gascon's former brother-in-law who assisted him during the inception of Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu. Chris Hatch is now a student of Hanshi Craig Seavey, co-head of Nick Cerio's Kenpo, my original kenpo instructor. Very strong background and lineage. Prof. Joe

10. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

Come on down!

Hi Joedub-

Give us a call, or just stop by. The schedule is on the site, and we'd be glad to show you around. I teach the Thursday advanced classes - I'm headed out the door now - but any day is good. You may want to observe both beginner and advanced ones so you can get a good idea. If there are any specific questions you have in advance, I'd be happy to answer them here or by email (matt at capecodmartialarts.com).

Thanks Joe & Joe for the kind words. It means a lot coming from you folk.

Matt

11. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

Hey, you're welcome, Matt, I'm not sticking my neck out 'cause what I said is the truth!

12. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Hi Matt!
    No problem Sir! All I said was the truth! I suggested the same to Joedub via PM... Go down and check out a class! Master Hatch and Sensei Barnes are great guys and worth your time.
    Your Brother in the Arts,
    JoeV.

13. Matthew Barnes

And he was there.

Thanks again.

Well, Joedub showed up, and hopefully has a good impression. It was part 2 of a class picking up where I left off last week, but hopefully it made sense.

Again, any questions, fire away.

14. Joedub

Joedub New Member

I enjoyed the class and I will be back again.

15. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Thats awesome, glad to hear it, enjoy your journey!

16. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Congrats Joedub!
    Welcome to the family!
    JoeV.

17. Joedub

Joedub New Member

I just want to thank everyone for all the help you have given me

18. meijin10

meijin10 Valued Member

I have also been told that Mr Hatch and Mr Barnes are good people and good instructors.

19. Matthew Barnes

I think that depends.

I think that the conditioning depends. For me - yep, no excuse. I should be able to do everything I expect the class to do, and then some. I'm 35, and in graduate school for Physical Education.

For the older folks, like those who have been training for 50 years and are suffering from chronic health issues dating back to injuries and chemical exposure while serving in Vietnam, I cut a little slack.

I think there's a continuum.

By the way, I love your website (ASMA). Sounds like a great school.

Matt

20. fightingninja2

fightingninja2 New Member

When I saw the title I thought you guys were talking about charles mattera and ussd. :cool: