Cramp

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fergie Boy, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

I have been getting cramps in my legs, Hamstrings and calfs, a lot lateley. Does anyone know why this happens? How to avoid it? and what to do about it when they come? My muscle spasm and tries to contract and straightiening it out again hurts like hell and feels a little weak and prone to cramp again for the next couple of days.

Thanjs for any advise you can offer.

2. r4bid

r4bid New Member

Hmm I don't know a lot about this stuff so check with your doctor or Yoda or whoever before actually listening to me.

Cramps can be caused by bad nutrition I believe, you might need more potassium or something.

Also, are you stretching enough before exercise?

3. darlph

darlph New Member

Doctors are good. Usually it's lack of potassium or hydration. When I get that horrible pinch in my legs that wakes me up, I try to concentrate on moving my toes and slowly work to my foot then ankle. It hurts to blazes, and takes alot of concentration with the gritting of teeth, but i find it works for me. Then for the next few days I do some easy walking to warm up and calf raises, hamstring stetches and just general leg stretching PLUS>>lots of water. Add a banana in there too. I find that drinking just the power drinks has a tendency to make me sweat and lose more fluids. Look at the labels. If i have one it is usually diluted to 1/2 h20.
    Hope you find a solution.

4. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

Yeah, probably should go see a doc. I don't know if this is strange or not but I don't get cramp when I am actualy training, it happens a couple of hours after I have stopped.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Muscle cramps have numerous causes like:
    not warming up prior to starting to exercise,
    over-exertion during exercise,
    not cooling down after exercise,
    activities that cause excessive sweating and dehydration,
    repetitive movements,
    sitting or lying in an awkward position,
    damage to the muscle fibers,
    poor circulation,
    certain diseases,
    lack of certain nutrients, and
    the use of some medications.

I used to get cramps in my legs and toes and stitches in my side during class. The cramps in my toes made it so that I just stand there frozen in pain trying to bend my toes back to relieve the cramp. I also tried to look for answers to why this has been happening and this is what I had found....

Cramping may be caused by metabolic deficiencies of calcium, magnesium, or potassium.... and lack of proper hydration is also associated with cramping. Diet should include plenty of vitamins B6, C, and D. Consume more leafy greens, broccoli, sprouts, tomatoes, wheat germ, sesame seeds, almonds, and green peppers.
    darlph is correct about the potassium ... include bananas, seeds, beans, and legumes. For magnesium, include seafood, nuts, and molasses. Try fresh carrot juice, which contains calcium lactate.

Here is a trick may athletes say works. Pinch the philtrum, the fleshy protrusion under your nose, over the top lip. You won't look too funny doing this! Another tip used by many professional and high school coaches who say it works..... to help prevent dehydration and cramps during a work out, drink pickle juice instead of sports drinks. Yuk! There is scientific proof that it works, but coaches and athletes swear it works.

For cramps in the feet or toes, point your toes upward and backward toward the knees, then release. For cramps in the calves or hamstrings, massage is best. Start massaging behind the knee and slide your hands down the muscle to the heel, then repeat. Rub along the length of the muscle, not across it and try walking slowly, with your full weight on the heel.

During cramp attacks, stretch the muscle by pulling the foot and toes upward as far as they will go to break the spasm.
    · Stretch the muscle in the direction opposite to how it is being pulled by the cramp or spasm.
    · Massage the painful muscle with an ice pack for 20 minutes.
    · If these are cramps are occurring during training on a hot day... drink lots of water in addition to stretching the muscle and use an ice pack.
    · Future attacks may be prevented by daily stretching exercises of the heel cords (stand with the knees straight and stretch the ankles by leaning forward against a wall

Last edited: Apr 10, 2003
  6. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

I'm hoping that it is a lack of those nutrients and dehydration (although I am drinking about 5 litres a day) cause the other causes ar pretty bad.

Thanks for the info KickChick