Covid Vaccine check in

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by aaradia, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Text at 18.10 Monday saying I could book my booster, booked it online at 18.45, jabbed at 16.00 today at a local surgery. No idea which booster they gave me (they didn't give me a card) but it was a slick operation. They'd pretty much taken over a doctor's surgery so I told them my name as I walked into the room and by the time I'd taken my jacket off they'd asked the questions - I barely got my sleeve up before the needle was in and I was walking into a spare office for a ten minute wait. The sore arm has started earlier than with the first two jabs so with a bit of luck it will have eased sooner too.

axelb likes this.
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Glad you got boosted, but don't you need verification? Both for your medical records AND for future verification required for jobs, events, ability to dine in restaurants, or go to other businesses?

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It will all be recorded on our NHS records. Another advantage of a national health service.

Stevebjj likes this.
  4. stellartran

stellartran Banned Banned

I believe that vaccination will be the best way to get us back to the normal life as before this pandemic comes soon. Hope that people in all places are injected freely.

Stevebjj likes this.
  5. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

So I had the two shots of Pfizer in summer, so far, planning to go for third when recommended.
    However, despite that, I caught a cold and although I wasn't feeling too bad, rather than going among people, I skipped a karate seminar. I did do an antigen test at home, which came out negative, but still thought I'd better not go anywhere.
    The next day, I found out I can get a preventive PCR test twice a month for free, and I decided to go for one just to make absolutely sure it's not covid before I meet people. I thought it wasn't since I had slightly risen temperature, stuffy nose and a bit of headache, but unusually for me muscle aches and back ache.
    I was honestly quite surprised when I got the message a few hours later that I am indeed positive... I thought I would cough more, but it turns out I got the Delta and cough isn't really the main symptom for this variant. Muscle and back pain and stuffy nose is, though. So I am isolating now with symptoms of a mild flu, I guess. Only a day later my temperature went back to normal, but in the night I got a bit worse again. I do hope the vaccine will at least have an effect in how quickly I can deal with it.

I spent Monday moning just taking care of everything related - making call to my GP, telling her the adress of my stay and my symptoms, putting together contacts of everyone from my last training for tracing. I got a call back from the hygienic station making sure I put in all the contacts and asking for ciscumstances. Considering my sample was one of those that apparently got sequenated for the mutation of the virus, I was also asked about specific symptoms, which came first, etc. I heard several times that the hygienic station wasn't doing their job properly, but they did act just as they were supposed to at least in my case.
    For me, I am isolating for a couple of weeks, probably. Merry Christmas, ideed...

As a message for everyone. Get tested even if you get a mild cold. Even when you are vaccinated and don't theoretically have to. You never know.

Anth, axelb and Mangosteen like this.
  6. aaradia

oh Jeez Nachi! i hope you recover quickly and with no long term effects!

Any idea about where you think you caught it?

Nachi likes this.
  7. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Thank you, I believe I'll be ok :)

Not really. I am not really going anywhere except for trainings by public transport and occassionally to a shop. I suppose the biggest risks are my trainigs, where we don't wear masks. But everyone attending should be vaccinated and for example children who aren't are at least getting tested. And I've been wearing a respirator for children classes for the past few ones. In all of my trainings we were avoiding practicing in pairs, with well one exception last Tuesday. I am unaware if there was anyone else from any of those trainings going down with covid recently as well, so I honestly don't know the source. I at least let both of my teachers know right away and those from the last training should have already gotten a request for PCR and should be staying home until then.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I JUST GOT MY BOOSTER!
    (In other news, my Christmas day honeymoon to Thailand may or may not be cancelled)

@Nachi - I hope you recover okay! It sounds quite mild so thats good news! There was a study that found COVID to be more common than the common cold in London. I hope that mild covid is developing, nothing more dangerous.

Dead_pool and Nachi like this.
  9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

It apparently takes a couple of days to show up on the records but now I have a handy screen on the NHS app that tells me the full details of my Covid vaccinations (where given, when, batch number etc) and any tests I've had.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I had my booster on October, it took a few weeks to show up, and only recently it came under the covid section, before it was just under medication in the health record. Now it's in the passport section.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It depends on what app the vaccination site are using, what computer system your GP practice is using, and what app your phone is using.

Most of the NHS run sites switched Recording Apps a few months ago and it's been much smoother since then.

As long as it's recorded under medications it means all the important bits are working, the passport is just an add on to that.

I'm amazed it's working this well to be honest.

Maybe if we fund it properly the NHS could be even better!

Stevebjj, Anth and axelb like this.
  12. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

My guess is, that here in NYS, it will soon become mandatory for me (I work for the state) to get a booster, or a 2nd J & J shot. I think I will contact my MD about an antibody test first, since I actually had Covid last June

13. Dead_pool

Antibodies only last six months or so, plus you can catch Omicron after having delta, if you want to protect yourself and others get a full vaccination schedule sorted.

It's insane there's still people thinking about it.

aaradia, axelb, Nachi and 1 other person like this.
  14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

We have a guy at work who refuses to get the jab.

His argument is that it's gene altering.

He has done his research don't you know.

Sadly you can't fix stupid.

aaradia, axelb, Nachi and 1 other person like this.
  15. Xue Sheng

Before the lectures start. I plan on getting another shot, I was stating what my state may require and I am interested in what antibodies I have...there are also other studies out of Israel you mat want to look into

But per the CDC

No vaccine is 100% effective, so some breakthrough infections are expected. The risk of infection, severe illness, hospitalization, and death are all much lower for vaccinated people compared to people who are unvaccinated. When reinfections or breakthrough infections happen, having antibodies plays an important role in helping prevent severe illness, hospitalization, and death.

For many diseases, including COVID-19, antibodies are expected to decrease or “wane” over time. After a long enough period of time, your level of antibodies can decrease below a level that provides effective protection. This level is called the “threshold of protection.” When antibodies decrease below the threshold of protection, you may become more vulnerable to severe illness. We do not yet know what the threshold of protection for antibodies is for the virus that causes COVID-19 or how long it takes these antibodies to wane. Even after antibodies wane, your immune system may have cells that remember the virus that can act quickly to protect you from severe illness if you become infected. These topics are being researched by scientists all over the world.

16. Dead_pool

Glad to hear it, I was tested for antibodies 4 months after having covid, no antibodies present.

Antibodies arnt the be all and end all of your immune system, however it looks like Omicron can and will infect people who have previously infected by Delta, and whilst the average infection is milder, it's R number is so high, vastly higher people will be infected, so it's really a race against time.

axelb and Grond like this.
  17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Everyone I spoke to over the Christmas holiday wasn't worried about Omicron but me, minus a few very close and thankfully, thoughtful friends.

Apparently even wearing a mask or being concerned about Omicron (a "variant of concern" according to health officials) during holiday gatherings is considered fearmongering, selfish, pathetic, or at best, paranoid. Still, I wore a mask to every holiday gathering so far (fully vaccinated), and will continue to wear one everywhere I go.

This reminds me greatly of the Winter of 2020, and not in a good way. Before anybody wore masks, or washed their hands a lot, or decided to choose between faith and medicine. Buckle in, fellow travelers. I'm no MD but with more infection waves come more variants, and there are a lot of scarier letters left in Greek.

18. Xue Sheng

well after much talking to medical folks and trying to figure out which way to go with the booster, since I originally got the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. it looks like I will be getting the Pfizer booster.

All the medical folks I talked seem to agree, except my family doctor. My family doctor feels I either a second J&J or I have to go the full corse of Moderna or Pfizer (meaning first 2 shots) All others I have talked to (nurses, doctors and a pharmacist) feel if I had the J&J and then had Covid, it works very much the same as the first 2 shots and all I need is a booster of either Moderna or Pfizer. What I have been researching online appears to point to Pfizer being the choice of folks who got the J&J. Although the medical folks I talked to feel either would be fine.

And I can get the Pfizer or Moderna 5 miles rom my house, I can only get the J&J about 50 miles from my house

19. aaradia

Either MRNA is better than another J&J. Most people I know who did J&J went to Moderna as a booster.

Either Pfizer or Moderna will give you a LOT of boosted protection. It seems that Moderna, from data I ran across so far, MIGHT be faring better against Omicron. But no one knows for sure......

I don't know if you consider this source to be valid or not, but this was floating around recently. For what it's worth.

[​IMG]

axelb likes this.
  20. Deepak patidar

Deepak patidar New Member

Sounds like the vaccination progresses well for a lot people hear, that is good to hear!
    I am far from even being able to apply for a vaccine, but they say general healthy and young population should be able to do so sometime is summer.
    Links removed.
    If you wish to place a commercial advert, then contact Mitch or myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2022