Covid Vaccine check in

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by aaradia, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Funny story. Mum & Dad obviously has the same GP, and theyre under the old and vulnerable category.
    They both got same day, same time jab but at different venues. (Around 2 miles apart). They didnt mind, its an excuse to be out and be on the bus. I had to re read the letters just in case. My theory was one was going to get pfizer whilst the other will get AZ or something.

So, Mum first. They go to a sports centre, and its literally empty. 12 Nurses sitting there, anxiously waiting for patients. Mum said they were in and out within 20mins (they asked her to sit around for 15mins post jab - just in case). Good thing there was a 2hr difference inbetween appointments. Dad asked if they could just jab him then n there and they said no. As it was early days and they didnt know about supplies/availability etc at the time.. they were literally in the end of wave 1 group of vaccination.

Finally they make way to my Dads appointment. And its in a local sports shed. :D Some old social club ran by Cricketers. And day/night difference, it was rammed. A volunteer came up to Dad and said he was early (annoyingly) and is currently 40th in the queue. He gets the jab around 1hr later and told to get his butt home asap.

They went home, kinda laughed off the day. Both had sore arms but were fine. And both had the same jab. So, a bit weird How things are being done :)

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'm young-ish but in a vulnerable group because of my CRPS. My GP advised me to wait for further guidance (a review is currently underway for patients with CRPS/RSD and fibromyalgia) due to the seasonal flu vaccine previously giving me flare ups, and there have been reports of other CRPS patients having gnarly side-effects in response to the AZ jab. Part of me thinks a lot of that could be down to anxiety though.

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The logistics of running this are mental, the quiet one would of been the overflow clinic, they have to book the number of patients in to match the number of vials available, not what's easiest for clinic numbers, strictly speaking only the Pfizer jab needs the 15 minute wait, but if someone is a bit unsteady, and there's space they like to keep people sitting just in case, especially with the older generation.

4. Dead_pool

Edit, new guidence is a 15 minute wait before driving with the astrazenica, as someone crashed their car and blamed the jab.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Interesting to see how it works in other places. Here in the USA, there is a wait for every vaccine we have . 15 minutes most of the time. 30 if the person has a history of certain allergic reactions.

Our current Emergency use authorized vaccines are Pfizer, Moderna, and the J&J. Astra Zeneca applied and is going through the process, but having some issues.

Mushroom and Dead_pool like this.
  6. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

Any thoughts on the new mRNA delivery system vs the older delivery system used by vaccines like the newer Johnson & Johnson?

Personally, I was going to wait for the J&J or a similar one because the technology is so much older. I don't want to feel like a guinea pig. The FDA has approved them all, but based on the tests it seems like the tests show there are fewer side effects in the J&J.

I already had Covid-19 though, so I'm hoping they release more data on natural immunity.

7. Dead_pool

The mRNA model is quiet well studied now, i had it, and I'm fine, all the studies show it's a very safe method of innoculation too. The prevailing medical wisdom is that the safest vaccine, is the one you can get quickest.

The new cancer treatments that will use the mRNA technology could very well be game changers.

mRNA vaccine for cancer immunotherapy | Molecular Cancer | Full Text

axelb and combatarts like this.
  8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I had the O/AZ last week at around noon, and was fine until 1.00am the next morning when I got cold sweats, shivers etc. The next day I felt tired, but after that I was fine.

Here's an important point that my wife raised with regard to people being concerned about feeling ill after a vaccination.

Every parent knows that you feel rubbish for a few days after a vaccination. Every informed parent in the UK will keep infant paracetamol and ibuprofen on hand after their baby gets their vaccinations for example, and accepts this as normal.

Yet, for some reason, we seem to have forgotten this when it comes to adults and worry about a vaccine that makes us feel poorly for a few days.

Anth, bassai, Dead_pool and 1 other person like this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Very good point @Mitch Parents should already know the process, and anyone who's traveled to certain countries that requires vaccination. When I went on safari in Kenya I had a few different vaccinations which were required: yellow fever, and a few others. The advice was the same.

I know 2 people who have had covid twice, first wave and second wave in the UK.
    One of them it was worse the second time round and the other it was not as bad.
    There is ongoing research about the long term affects of contracting covid.

I haven't seen the data on vaccine side effects comparison, but whichever you get offered I would recommend taking.
    The scientific experts have researched and recommended and I take advice from the scientific organisations over hearsay/social media and journalism.

@Dead_pool I read about the cancer research relating to mRNA, it sounds very promising.

Mitch likes this.
  10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

My dad had exactly the same thing, plus the usual sore arm. It scared him a little but after some isotonic and more rest he was fine.

axelb and Mitch like this.
  11. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Scheduled to get Vaccine April 12, which is good, I could be in nee surgery by June and they want people to have the vaccine before surgeries, at least in the 2 people that had surgery recently

aaradia, axelb, Nachi and 1 other person like this.
  12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Which one Xue? One shot deal or first of two shots?

13. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

1 shot deal

Dead_pool, axelb and Kemposhot like this.
  14. axelb

That's the J&J one I believe?

I read recently that the AZ/O vaccine, which I had, doesn't use the mRNA method of the other Pfizer and moderns.
    I think it's amazing to see how many different methods have been used as also made available in different vaccinations.

15. Dead_pool

_117586653_vaccine_compared-nc_2x640-nc.png

This is slightly out of date now, it's missing the Cuban Vaccination. Buts it's a good start.

aaradia, axelb and Anth like this.
  16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not had my jab yet but after a few days of feeling really ill and a cough developing last week I went and got a covid test (negative...just a common cold).
    Well the test certainly made my eyes water!

axelb likes this.
  17. axelb

I've been doing the test twice a week since children went back to school the start of March. My wife and 12 year old are also doing the same.

All negative so far, and yes it is an eye watering experience! I have got a bit better at the technique.

It's a very easy to use process, we have them delivered to our house and 30 mins we have the result which I enter into the gov website within a minute.

18. UKMMA

UKMMA New Member

Both my parents have had two doses in the UK Both Astra Zenica, I am waiting being 40 it could still be a month away

Mitch likes this.
  19. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Got my second dose of Pfizer on April 7. I was fatigued for about 24 hours but seemed to escape any of the harsher symptoms. Feeling lucky.

Mitch likes this.
  20. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Second dose of phiser yesterday - this time it was a doctor who gave me the Jab, not a nurse. This meant the actual jab hurt more because Drs don nessisarly get as much practice as nurses in actually sticking needles in people. the arm hurts much more than the first one (now on day two). this could be due to the inaccurate jab.

the odd thing is that I suddenly feel inexplicably depressed. I get this way every time I am beginning to get a cold. so it could be that the immune response is to the second jab is the same as that to a cold. 0r I could just be getting a gold. :)