Covid Vaccine check in

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by aaradia, Mar 20, 2021.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Hey everyone.

I was wondering the status of Covid Vaccine roll out where everyone is at. And where people are at with regards to getting vaccinated personally? Is anyone out there feeling hesitancy and wanting to get support and ask questions?

In San Diego, Ca. USA, the local handling has been great. We had one of the (or maybe the very first) vaccination super station. They have built an infrastructure that is very excellent. The issue is, they are operating under capacity due to lack of supply. As of yesterday, locally, 28% of the population has had at least one shot, with 18% fully vaccinated.

Our current president inherited a mess from our former idiot-in-chief. But I think he is doing an excellent job with a monstrous task. There are certainly reports of some officials in other states giving undue preferential treatment of who is getting the vaccine, but where I am locally, not so much.

Vaccines approved in the USA right now are Pfizer, Moderna, and J &J. We have a stockpile of the Astra Zeneca, but it is not approved here yet. I heard we are going to share some of that stockpile with our neighbors, Mexico and Canada.

Personally, Library workers became eligible just recently. I had my first shot two days ago. It was my first choice, Pfizer. I had a sore arm for a little over a day. Felt about like how it feels when a certain fellow student would do a power thrust kick to my arm! Also felt a bit queasy and just not 100%. Like how one feels when a cold is coming on, but before it hits? Went away in a day. I was able to work and go to my workout, so it wasn't too bad.

Totally worth it!

I have family that have been/ or are going through the process. My co-workers at my Branch are all at least signed up for their first shot. Many got it the same day I did. One, who is older, has been through the entire process already.

A lot of my fellow students are also getting vaccinated. The instructors are eligible as well, because they are teaching kids, so many of them are in the middle of the process.

I know we have a ways to go, but I am feeling some relief and hope. Like, I am not going to die if I accidently touch my face at the wrong time. And like my loved ones and friends are going to live through this too.

I am looking forward to sparring, stick fighting, push hands and two person practice with contact. I know it is a ways away, but it feels like I can see the light down the end of the tunnel.

How are things with you all?

stellartran, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Had the Oxford/AstraZeneca a couple of weeks ago , bit of achy arm for a couple of days and tired on the night , but no other side effects.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

That's a two dose shot, right? Was this your first or second dose?

I feel relief every time I hear someone I know is vaccinated. That includes my fellow MAPpers. :)

axelb, ned, bassai and 1 other person like this.
  4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

First shot , I’m waiting to be contacted by my doctors to be told when my second shot will be , though I’ve set myself a reminder when it’s due to call them if I haven’t heard by then.
    I’m assuming I got to jump the que as I’m type 2 diabetic and they’re not meant to be vaccinating under 50s yet.

ned, Dead_pool and aaradia like this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Had my second Pfizer dose a few weeks ago, still masking and social distancing, because that's the only way we're all going to get out of this situation, I'm also working on the vaccination centre project, so it's incredibly hard not to take covid denial, and anti maskers as a personal insult, that goes double for gym owners/personalities on social media.

Having the shots did make my base level anxiety reduce, but this not being just an individual risk situation, but a group risk situation means my individual reduction doesn't mean anything long term, until 70/80% of the population are covered, and then longer turn, how quickly we get the rest of the global population covered.

None of us are safe, until all of us are safe.

Stevebjj, axelb, bassai and 2 others like this.
  6. ned

ned Valued Member

Got my first on the 29th, second was booked at same time for June 15th.
    I'd been waiting for my GP to get in touch but saw a link on another forum ( not MA related ! ) to book online.

Although the roll out has been pretty impressive I don't think it's been very well advertised that you can book it
    yourself if you're in the over 50's, so here's a link for anyone else who's still waiting

Book a coronavirus vaccination

Needless to say today a couple of days later I got letters from both my GP and NHS asking me to apply.

Hope you're all keeping well - stay safe !

axelb and aaradia like this.
  7. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Still not eligible where I am in NYS. I have received no vaccine as of yet

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Received my 2nd Moderna vaccine on 3/10.

- Had some fever for 1 day.
    - Felt tired for 1 day. I could not finished my 3 miles running that day.
    - Had some diarrhea for the next 3 days. I had to stay near by my house when I worked out.

Felt great after 5 days.

Registered through this website.

Citizen Community

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  9. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Sounds like the vaccination progresses well for a lot people hear, that is good to hear!

I am far from even being able to apply for a vaccine, but they say general healthy and young population should be able to do so sometime is summer...
    Luckily, at least my mom had her first dose as an elementary grade teacher of older age. I am happy for that, as she comes to contact with a lot of kids. Though the schools and everything got closed for now.

10. Dead_pool

Country wise, the UK has managed to get the first dose to slightly over 50% of the adult population now, which is great.

UK Covid vaccine milestone as more than half of adults have had first dose

"And in America, you've hit your target of 100 million vaccines by Pres Biden's 100th day in office and the United States surpassed that goal on March 19, his 59th day.

If the country maintains its current pace of vaccinating people, about half of the total population would be at least partially vaccinated around mid-May, and nearly all around mid-August, assuming supply pledges are met and vaccines are eventually available to children."

Which is also great news, we're getting there, it's just a matter of time now, and using masks/distancing/lockdowns to buy us that time.

See How the Vaccine Rollout Is Going in Your State

I do think this pandemic has shown us the cracks in our current systems of governance, and how dangerous a poorly educated population can be when mixed with irresponsible use of social media.

We need to regulate and tax Facebook etc and reinvest that income on better/cheaper/free education.

Mitch and axelb like this.
  11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I had my first in January AZ/Oxford, due to severe asthma. second is due soon. :)

No problems with side affects and I'm still wearing a mask and social distancing.

I heard that new Jersey had a vaccination drive from my colleagues,a lot of them have had it.

Most of the parents on the school run are wearing masks and social distancing, a few outliers, who are not surprising given how they behave most of the time.

There are a lot of maluable minds being manipulated by stupid conspiracist theory. These seem to stand out more on social media, which I rarely use these days.

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

No shots here yet.

The Netherlands is doing it in a very weird way and it takes for ever.......

13. Dead_pool

Figures on the COVID-19 vaccination programme | RIVM

"By Sunday 14 March, it is estimated that nearly 1.4 million people in the Netherlands had received at least one COVID-19 vaccination, and nearly 500,000 people had received their second vaccination."

Looks like your using risk bands roughly equivalent to how the UK is doing it.

axelb likes this.
  14. Xue Sheng

NYS USA is only slightly better.......Anyone under 60 is not eligible for the vaccine as of yet.

15. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

my mother aged 85 had her visit jab (phizer )about 8 weeks ago. I had my fist jab (Phizer) about 5 weeks ago. I am happier knowing that she has some protection and that I am much less likely to pass the disease to her if I catch it.

National roll out of second jabs for all beginning with over 80s is to start shortly.

virtually no effects from the jab for ether of us. we both get flue jabs every year and I reacted less to the covid than I do to the flue.

axelb likes this.
  16. Xue Sheng

Just found out, as of tomorrow, I am eligible for the vaccine.

Dead_pool, Kemposhot and aaradia like this.
  17. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Had my first dose of Pfizer on March 17. Have the appointment for the second on April 7. No side effects to report from dose 1 other than a sore arm for a few hours.

Dead_pool likes this.
  18. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Well, I had my first Astra Zeneca at the beginning of March (shoot me, don't remember the date - it was Tuesday though) and pretty much ran through the laundry list of side effects: fever, headaches, muscle pains, the works. Took me two days to be functional, only felt 100% on Monday. Second does scheduled for 11 May.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Xue Sheng

Well...I'm on a waiting list for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine

Kemposhot, aaradia and Dead_pool like this.
  20. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I'll be in one of the last groups to get called in for the jab, seeing as I'm relatively young (34) and have no major illnesses. People I work with have started getting their vaccines as they go through the age groups and my parents have both had theirs (though I don't remember which). There's a mass vaccination centre yonder side of Durham if I can't get to my GP and I've already decided that I'll get it on a Tuesday (the first day of my "weekend" ) if possible - I don't want a numb arm or feeling tired when I'm lifting glass bottles or pallets above head height for six hours at work.