Court appearance mandatory?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Spinmaster, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

So, I have to appear in court tomorrow on a charge of reckless driving. Apparently this is a mandatory appearance... but I hired a lawyer, and was told (by the paralegal that took down my info) that as long as I signed a power of attorney, the lawyer could take care of it all and I didn't need to appear. However, I received a letter from the lawyer's office yesterday, informing me that it's a mandatory appearance and advising me on dress code. I can't contact them to find out as it's the weekend... I'm going to call tomorrow morning, but I thought I'd check if anyone here knows the drill. Was the letter just a piece of protocol, and now that I've signed the power of attorney, that's that? Or do I actually have to be there tomorrow?

2. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

Just go. It's better to show up and realize you didn't have to than not show up and end up with a bench warrant.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

What Hanzo said - I have lost count of the number of people I have arrested on warrants because they thought "my lawyer said he would take care of it"

At the very least it gets it as a matter of public record the lawyer has your power of attorney and will represent you in future hearings (if any)

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Always go. Even if you really actually dont have to go, its better that you do. It looks better for you for a start as well as you never know what is being said about you in court and youre not there to defend your actions.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Go to court. As Mushroom says you can't always trust the things that may be said in court by the police. I know this for sure.

Mitch

6. Hannibal

Yeah we do that a lot.........;)

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I have no idea about a lot, pretty sure that's not the case, but from the only experience I have of a friend in a similar situation the police have a 100% record of fabricating evidence.

This might simply be down to a mistake in a notebook and nothing else, but if you're not there to challenge it then it goes through. And in the case of my friend it would have become a whole lot more serious had it gone uncontested.

Like I say, I don't think it's a general thing and I've never had anything other than pleasant experiences with the police personally: I've admired their professionalism as they arrested a drunken idiot friend of mine, been spoken to courteously myself, etc.

But in that case (disorderly conduct) they were not factual in evidence given in a manner that made my friend appear in a much worse light.

Personally I've been grateful for the discretion and understanding of Her Majesty's finest several times and never had to decry their behaviour. :)

Mitch

8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Or your laywers . or the judge . or the reporters ..or the clerk or the cleaners ..

:bang:

9. Mushroom

damn those cleaners!

10. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Thanks fellas. :) Guess I'll be going in then... if only I sounded more like Clint Eastwood while saying that. ;)

11. Hannibal

Or Horatio...

"Guess I'll be going then..." WAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH...duh, duh,duh...

Yes I have just woken up and not I haven't had a java yet before anybody asks.....

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Speaking for USA courts -- yes, you are expected to appear at this one. For many court meetings the lawyer can represent you, but at this one you're supposed to show up.

13. Mushroom

Well, if Spin doesnt post for 6-8 weeks then we'll know the result...

14. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Heh, nothing that bad, Mushroom. ^_^ Thankfully. :p The lawyer got it down to defective equipment and a driving improvement class... so I end up paying like 300 bucks and taking an 8 hour class on a Saturday. This was quite a relief, and I imagine it's a good thing I got the lawyer, as the judge seemed to imply he hadn't intended to be so lenient with me. It also turned out to be a good thing I went in, mum came with me, and was able to discuss with the lawyer that she had been having some medical issues that would require me to be able to drive.

15. Guyin

Guyin Old Cynic

Priceless...

16. Hannibal

If only Dr Crippen had thought of taking his mum in with him......

17. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Attended the hearing with me, you dirty minded man. :p ^.^