Could Martial Arts be detrimental?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Well I said that most of the wethys I know of are old men's pubs, but I can think of some notable exceptions, such as the William Morris in Hammersmith. (Whereas the newer wethys further up King Street towards the park really is full of old men.)

I'm not doubting that what you friend told you is true, simply that it doesn't match my own experiences. But a large part of that might be a regional thing. For instance, I've no experience of drinking in the City of London, so I can't quibble with your friend's experience there.

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Different regions have totally different characters. Personally, I'm not a big fan of many Highland and Speyside malts. Islay is more to my taste.

Your best bet (if you got the chance) might be to sample a few malts from each region to give you a pointer of where your tastes might lead. Then concentrate your investigations on that region.

Do you get the chance to try many different Scotch whiskies in your neck of the woods?

3. Jaybee

Jaybee Valued Member

I think there's a Lloyds No.1 in the Bush, as there is in Watford...it's been a while, but I think we can agree you will find a cross-section of ages, and that it's the younger fellas on the cheap booze who start the most hassle.

MY experience, not his; he was only relaying stats they knocked about at meetings, in 8 years working down there on dozens of client sites I must have drank in over a hundred bars/pubs from Holborn to Limehouse, from Monday lunchtime to Friday night. I think, in all that time, I saw ONE lad removed (albeit gently) from the Pitcher and Piano, some spiv with spiky gelled hair, clean shaven but earstudded, and a loud yellow tie to match the rest of him. Had to have been some local yob who just came from his grandfather's funeral. Failing that, an Estate Agent.

:)

4. Jaybee

Jaybee Valued Member

Glad to read that, Bruce. If you can remember the name of the pub, and if the lager in question was on tap, it's a fair bet someone here could get the names for you either in person, online or a phone call, you could then buy a bottle of each and whittle down. I happen to like your Blue Moon beer hugely...imagine my surprise when I discovered it was actually a Belgian brew! I'm surprised you have it and we don't.

Oh I think the derailment of the thread from its tracks was in progress even when it rolled halfway out of the station...

:topic:

5. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Sadly, no. Here in the American Heartland its "Baseball, Apple pie and Chevrolet". Its not that Chicago doesn't have a number of transplanted pubs. Not too very far from me is an Irish pub which was disassembled in Ireland and shipped to Illinois for reconstruction. A wonderful idea but no guarantee of longevity. Sometime back we had a great Scottish pub that hosted a fantastic event every other month. The place closed after a year. I share all of this to provide context to my response.

Its not that GLENFIDDICH (sp?) is unknown in these parts but that is about as "exotic" as one gets in the American Midwest. It took me about a month to convince my local beer-tender that the term "neat" not only meant no soda but also meant "no ice". Sheesh. :mad:

Best Wishes,

Bruce

6. Bruce W Sims

BLUE MOON is HUGE in our area as is the recent offering from LINENKUGEL with a citris-y cast to it. I'm a big LINENKUGEL HONEY WEISS fan when its in season. SAM ADAMS is highly over rated and has gone off the deep end with a line of fruity offerings that would have most Bavarians crying ...well....crying in their beer. Many moons ago I was very much a fan of COORS which was famous nationwide for its drinkability. Sometime about 1985 or after they changed the recipe and I have not had a decent bottle of beer from them since. :bang:

BTW: The lager I mentioned was on tap, but the bartender simply identified it as "lager" and never gave a brand name. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

7. Jaybee

Jaybee Valued Member

Ok, I think it's safe to assume you know the difference between bitter and lager, if in fact he served you bitter we're likely sunk because although general brands exist nationwide, pubs often have their own bitters individual to their breweries, or local area, or even themselves.

The most popular lagers on tap in the UK, in descending order of my taste for them:

1. Kronenbourg 1664;
    2. Stella Artois (more popularly referred to as "Wifebeater" by patrons wishing to tease the barmaid);
    3. Tuborg;
    4. Tennent's;
    5. Carling;
    6. Fosters;
    7. Heineken;
    8. Carlsberg;

It would be best to start with a can each of these, though I know you can obtain Fosters, Stella and especially Heineken fairly easily over there, so I would further advise you to purchase in order of those brand names/logos that seem the most unfamiliar, and work/drink your way down.

General bitters sold nationwide, in no particular order as I don't drink them, but just in case you're a fan;

John Smith's;
    Tetley Bitter;
    Worthington Lager.

Happy hunting, and let me know if you need more help!

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

1664 or Stella for me. I do fall over a lot though

9. Bruce W Sims

(sigh)..... so many beers; so little time.....

Thanks....much appreciated......

Best Wishes,

Bruce