Couch to..............

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Alienfish360, May 5, 2014.

1. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Hopefully, this log will provide some support, motivation and drive like many other tubsters like me.

So firstly, what is my background? I am 27 and male, BMI of around 28 (very surprised to see that the NHS call me almost obese as I certainly don't feel it), at 6foot tall I am weighing at 97.6kg, with a tubby belly, and a chin that merges into a neck.

From ages 16/17 to around 21 I was training 6 days per week at a gym/swimming and 2 Muay Thai classes per week, with 1 hour of private tuition per week.

As happens with most people at 21, my career started priorities changed and I had stopped training entirely.

Roll on now, to April 2014, I am a senior manager in my area, I have far more flexibility with work than I ever have, in addition to this, I went with my awesome partner to spot some RAF planes at Mach Loop in North Wales, after a short 3 mile walk up a hill (at which I was bragging to the mrs that it would be easy since the last hill/mountain I had hiked was Snowdon in my late teens), I was very surprised when she was at the top of the hill, and I was still half way up, sat down, with aching legs, sore stomach, and severely out of breath.

Just this short walk practically had me resting 3 times on the way up. Something MUST change. I do no fitness, no exercise and my diet is a disgrace, a mix of Pizza, chips, burgers, fizzy drinks, I do not want to carry on to become as inactive and unfit as many of my family are.

So, on Friday 2nd Feb 2014, I went to a Muay Thai gym and took a class. My God I never ever remember it being this difficult! I started out on an exercise bike instead of skipping, then we went on to some basic techniques with 30 seconds of push ups between each set (although I was only doing 10), totally dripping with sweat, every muscle aching, it is a feeling of pain, enjoyment, and determination to push until I physically couldn't do any more.

Pad work went well, I had to have some techniques corrected but after 6 or 7 years I was happy with myself, but after just 10 to 15 minutes of pad work, my guard was dropping, I couldn't keep my arms up, punches became slow and weak.

This continued till the end of the class, had a chat with the instructor and booked in for the following week.

Yesterday, while on a day off with the Mrs, she had commented about how unfit and unhealthy she also felt, and how she would like to do a half marathon.

This sounds like a perfect training partner, and a target ;)

We both went and bought some running gear, and so our journey begins. I will keep this thread updated with everything that is happening, thoughts, feelings, motivation, progress.

Hopefully I receive help a long the way, and also hopefully some beginners find this thread and see that if people want to make a difference, it is entirely possible with the right determination.

Starting Measurements:
    Weight: 97.6kg
    Waist: 34"

Goals for next 12 months:
    • Compete in Amateur MA Competition
    • Run 5k
    • Run 10k
    • Run Half Marathon

Current Measurements:
    Weight: 97.6kg
    Waist: 34"

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

All the very best of luck to you.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

From the sound of it, I think you'd be best to start fairly slowly and build up, certainly where the running is concerned.

If you want to do a regular, timed 5k then I'd recommend that you look up your nearest parkrun. (They have them pretty much all over the country.) You can go at your own pace and ease yourself into the habit of running. Then when you're comfortable at that distance, try a 10k!

Another good option would be to try a local running club. They're not all super-serious hardcore athletes. Most clubs cater for a wide range of abilities, including complete beginners or those getting back into fitness and activity after years away.

In both cases, you and your missus should find that you benefit from the support that you get from having a friendly bunch of people to run with and to encourage you.

Best of luck with your training.

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hello

Some simple feedback. Decide on 1 Goal and accomplish that.

I'd start with the 'Compete in Amateur MA Tourney' - That'll require a more generalist fitness. And the competition aspect itself will push you to succeed.

Do running IF you must. And use it as an adjunct to your Martials. When you're looking to accomplish 4 Goals they're all competing for your attention. And all possess differing criteria. 1 Goal to work towards.

Draw up a list of your strengths and weaknesses. And draw up a short list of what skills you'll need to compete in the Martial Tourney and under what ruleset.

Diet wise - Start cutting out the wheat. Your joints feel better and you'll start losing fat quicker. Eat more protein and quality fat - Omega 3. And (ask a Medical Professional first) Saturated Fat (heresy I know).

I'm sure you can suss out the rest yourself. The important thing is you realised you're unfit and you decided to stop the rot.

Make sure your Muay Thai instructor realises you need to start slowly. Better to get you to train in shirt bursts where your heart rate is heightened, but not off the scale.

Good luck and take it easy. Bit by bit you'll get to where you want to go. ;)

5. Alienfish360

Good advice with the diet.

It may be the way I had written it, but obviously I won't be running the 10k without the 5k ;)

It was my way of breaking down the goal of a half marathon, so as I am running for fitness and cardio, that will get me closer to all goals.

My MT instructor started easy, but that's not for me. I will push until I can't give any more.

Diet is where I am expecting to struggle, but hopefully it will become habit soon enough and all the fatty foods that taste so good, will hopefully start to taste bad as my diet changes :)

6. Simon

The good news is you don't need to cut out the fat, just change it to good quality animal fat, rather that the saturated fat you are probably eating now.

Leave on the chicken skin, leave on the bacon rind and definitely leave on the pork chop fat.

It's good for you and packed with energy.

The two other things to keep an eye on are your hydration levels and quality of sleep.

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Always nice to have another training log on here to nosey at :)

I'm sorry to say I don't really have anything constructive to offer at this time - the other MAPpers have far more diet/sleep/training experience than I do, so I'll leave it in their capable hands to offer suggestions.

Other than that, I just wanted to say "good luck"!

8. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Good luck! You will achieve your goals one at a time. Dont get discouraged from any slowdowns on your journey

9. Alienfish360

So,

Today I had eaten

Breakfast: Museli
    Dinner: Home made meatballs and white rice
    Snack: Fruit and Nut bar
    Supper: 2 Egg on Brown toast

Additionally, went out jogging for the first time today, and I was doing roughly jog 1k walk 0.5k until I reached 5k, total time of 41 minutes

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/334946955/15871598

I intend to gradually increase the jog distance, and decrease the walk distance, until I am running a non-stop 5k.

Feeling good

10. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

If I could make a recommendation for you it would be HIT/interval. My wife did this for about a year, Her cardio is insane today. Her body is actually really toned too. :D Her start weight was 270lbs and it was a struggle at first. dont know her end weight but she does look really good!

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

This.

HIIT is beastly and with programs like T25 that Mitch uses and recommends and the others like the Insanity workout, there's plenty of ways to squeeze in hard HIIT into a small workout.

12. Alienfish360

Quiet couple of days, whilst I let the muscles ache dissipate, but I will be in MT class tomorrow, and back jogging on Sunday by my predictions.

13. Alienfish360

Just finished the 1 hour MT lesson for the week.

Worked harder than last time and feel just as sore and worked down, which feels damn good!

I am really struggling to do continuous pushups for the required 30 seconds, they allow me to break and rest, but that isn't how you get results, so I am going to start doing regular push ups almost daily rather than once per week in class.

Friday weigh in is at 96.6kg

Note to moderators:
    Is there anyway I can edit the first post in this thread on a regular basis so I can put updates with progress etc, so I can quickly see how far I have come from the start?

14. Simon

I'm sorry, there isn't.

Moderators can edit any post at any time, but you guys have access to edit for (I believe) 24 hours.

You could always quote the first post and just use the data as part of an update.

15. Alienfish360

Well,

Will be trying another 5k this evening.

But feeling a little miserable, I sat down yesterday and looked at my lifestyle, I worked out for the past 3 years or so, I had been consuming between 3000 to 6000 calories.

With lots of snacks, pizza, cakes, chocolate, coca-cola etc.

I have spent the past 4 days now on a calorie limit of 1700 calories, which I have been sticking too.

It is painful, I feel hungry very often, but this is going to be a case of, suck it up or stay fat.

The quicker I drop the weight, the sooner I can get into harder training and a proper maintenance diet.

A question for those with more knowledge than myself:
    Muscle Mass, Dieting and Protein. (To avoid derailing a thread, I have linked here)
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1074861528#post1074861528

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

There is no point feeling miserable about what you've done in the past. It only makes it harder to break out of the pattern of 'bad' behaviour, believe me!

Focus on what you are doing to put things right NOW, and look forward to enjoying a healthier future.

17. Alienfish360

I was out for another run yesterday.

Instead of continuing at a slow pace trying to do the 5k, I decided this time to work much harder and push my heart rate further up on a shorter distance.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/338732397/15871598

My 3k time improved by 4 minutes on last time.

If I push my heart rate above the "fat burning" zone and into aerobic, do you lose the benefits of the fat burning? Or should I aim to keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone?

18. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Absolutely.

A while ago I decided that instead of telling myself something was 'good' or 'bad', that it would be 'desirable' and 'less desirable'.
    This means that I fixate less on something being 'bad', as, for me 'bad' makes me stop and consider starting again, whereas 'less desirable' allows me to continue to move forward with only a minor course correction.

Alienfish360: don't worry too much about being in the "fat burning zone" or the "aerobic zone", both are good (as is the "anaerobic zone" :D), just keep your momentum :)

19. Alienfish360

Had a good day in the MT Gym today, felt much better after 2 weeks of eating properly, and felt like I could work harder.

Stamina, fitness and weight loss are still priorities, but secondary I really do need to improve the strength of my shoulders and upper arms.

Hopefully will be able to do a skip and run tomorrow if I don't get hit by any aches after today.

20. Alienfish360

Push up and pull up programme this morning, followed by some isometric leg stretches.

Warmed up with about 15 minutes on the speed rope, then the rest periods between the push ups and pulls up were 60 seconds of skipping between each set of reps.

Does anybody have any advice for upper arm stamina? In the MT classes, my arms drop towards the end of the hour, this is never ideal, I understand it is only my 4th week back training, but when I can make sure that I can last the whole session I will get far more out of it, and be able to work harder and more controlled.

I know that the best way to work the upper arms for endurance, is on the bags, but I am not increasing my MT classes, until my cardio fitness, and strength fitness is at a level that I will get the most out of them, and I am down in weight.

So, does anybody have any non-gym, bodyweight, or similar exercises useful for training endurance around the shoulders and upper arms?

Are push-ups building strength, or endurance also?