CoSTS $$$

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by hunnysan, Jun 9, 2005.

1. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

Hmm....i feel pretty darn stupid but hey, i'm in a bind. MY g/f just bought a brand new car so i'm taking over payments on her old car. So now we've gotten more bills, on top of other bills, you know now we have to pay for two insurance, two cars to fill up gas in..

But anyways. It's not gonna effect our budget and as she sat down and began budgeting we realized that we are going to be really tight on money. As in, not eating much. So do you think i should drop Kung Fu..it's $80 bucks a month..for both of us..it's 160...wut do u think? Do you think i'm just not budgeting well enough and need to cut on other expenses, or just let Kung Fu go. I mean i know it's not a priority, but damn i love Martial ARts..

~Dj hunny :confused: :bang:

2. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

You have plenty of time, Kung Fu isnt going anywhere. Ive had to do similar things over the last 10 years and what Ive found, especially with a profound system, is that you have plenty of time, even if you wait until half your life is over to start. Chances are you have enough material to keep you busy for quite a long time, especially being fortunate to have a partner to work with outside of class. You can always come back later. In fact, we can all use breaks from class. Too many techniques are learned, not enough time to perfect them.

Also, you may be able to talk to your sifu about it. As a business man, he may be willing to give the 2 of you a deal versus lose both of yoru business, either temporarily or permanently.

Others might say, if you want it enough, youll find a way. While a valid point, these are the people who ruin their credit and lose their house to the things that control their lives ;)

3. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

I'd say talk to your instructor too. In our club there is a "kitty" which gets topped up by us paying for extra courses and squad training, that kind of thing. If someone really wants to keep training and has shown good dedication, they can be offered cheaper rates (or even free) for a while until they can get back on track financially.

If this isn't an option, maybe you could just see about cutting down to even just once a month training (if it's allowed). You can keep practicing on your own and get correction and help when you go training. You won't progress in leaps and bounds, but in a while you might find you can afford to go back full time.

4. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Why in the hell are you paying for your girlfriend's car? Even if you were married, she should still make her own payments.

No offense btw, just curious.

5. Brother

Brother New Member

It all depends on priorities. Like, do you really want the "new car" or do you want the Kung Fu?

Personally I would take Kung Fu. I never cared much for material possessions (says the man sitting in front of the computer) and I don't even drive. Besides, I feel the beneficial aspects of kung fu are a lot better than the beneficial aspects of having a car. Especially when you're buying that car for someone else, but I won't get into that. If you really wanna buy this person the car, go ahead. If you really wanna take kung fu instead, go ahead.

PS: I see you said that now you have to take care of TWO cars? Why? Can't you just have one? Do you live with your GF? These are all things to think about. I'm not forcing you to make the decision to take Kung fu, I'm just stating things that you and your girlfriend could think over (IE: Do you really need a second car?).

And like Infrazael asked, why buy if for her? I know love is one thing, but damn, do you have that much money to start with? And a car is a very, er, iffy thing. It's not like buying her something small, this is something big and liable we're talking. Imagine breaking up later on, BAM, your money is gone, isn't it?

But I've talked too much and I think you get my point so I end with:

The choice is yours to make and I don't think anyone else can make that choice for you (other than your GF ;)).

6. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

Sell the 2nd car. I'm in a one car relationship, and it works out fine. Get a scooter, motorcycle, or bicycle and use her car when you have to get groceries etc. Kung Fu is way more important than a car :D . Having a car's not worth not being able to buy food etc, and if having two (or one) affects your quality of life, you might want to rethink things. The Long Beach bus system isn't all that bad either, I rode it lots.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  7. crysis

crysis Valued Member

why would you buy a brand new car and not be able to afford meals after the price? ugh. :woo: women.

heres a thought, sell the car back, take your losses, and buy a used car. To top it off, use the extra money to feed yourselves better, buy a pool table, get massages, save for your kids' college fund, or better yet, new shoes. walking is healthy.

you can pick up a reliable little japanese car for 3-4 grand that will last you until you feel you can afford a brand new car...or a house even.

8. Drunken Miss Ho

Hey, watch it! Lunacy is not just limited to women, I've seen plenty of men spend their life savings on some crap suv. And my family car is a 95 corolla. And I'm a girl. So there. :p

9. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

Wow...no you misunderstood... my old crappy car is no longer running. ANd since she was planning on getting a diff. car instead of trading it in she let me have it and she got a new car. I took over payments on her old car and she pays for her car. Which i thought was really niice of her. While i wait to sell my old car. Yes we live together. and we did carpool for awhile, which was cool..but i work at 6 in the morning and she doesn't hav to work till 8 so it's kind of hard to balance that and she works even father from home then i do, i work a little bit too far to bike..(2 cities away) and i would catch the bus..but not much of a public transportation person..! I would get a motorcycle because i always wanted one, but she's not too fond of it..too dangerous..but we settled dat if i really wanted one i could, but i wouldn't want to get something she doesnt really agree with and cause any future arguments...

I think i'm gonna try to talk to my sifu, maybe get a two person discount or soemthing, but our school is so small to begin with that i don't know if he can pull it off with the students that we have.

Dj Hunny

10. crysis

crysis Valued Member

i see ...

well its gonna be tight. a brand new car is still stretching it.

11. Drunken Miss Ho

I think it's still a good idea to do what you can to stay in Kung Fu. If you smoke, drink, or buy lattes every day, cut those out- those are huge wastes of money and ain't good for you either. Stop drinking soda etc., buy a brita filter, and carry a reusable bottle of water around with you.

12. TheSanSooStorm

TheSanSooStorm Valued Member

80 dollars a month each!? Woah. One of my really good friends who I met at my Kung Fu Studio (Who also trained in Muai Thai) moved to Missoula and desided to take up Kenpo, well turns out he quit barley a few lessons into it, because it was 85$ a month, and for another reason but I don`t want to start a big argument. At my school when you joi it costs 85, 45 for the first month, and 40 for the Gi and belt. After that its 45 a month. All I can say is thats alot of money bro.

But- 80 bucks each person, 160 a month. Thats going to add up for sure. WHy don`t you look at it this way. You want Kung Fu, she wants the car, you stay in Kung Fu, she leaves Kung Fu for the car? Or else take turns. You go in for a month, she goes in the following month, ect. However if this just isn`t feesable, here is a similar thing I do, plus class.

Make sure you have lots of your technuqes written down, take notes. And set up a daily training routine, don`t be afraid to alter it, the idea is to develope one thats enough, but not too much to do everyday. ANd you and your wife can practice with eachother sense you go to class with eachother. This will keep your technuqe from going stale, and when you rejoin, who knows, you might keep the routine. But hey, just a few suggestions.

13. Drunken Miss Ho

80 a month is really not that bad in a place like Southern California. Rent and living costs in LA (and New York, Boston, etc.) are expensive, and MA lessons cost more than in places like the Midwest. If hunnysan wanted to go the cheap route, she could go thru parks and rec or a community college. That would be a lot cheaper.

14. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Why are you letting your girlfriend decide whether you want a crotchrocket or not (I'm assuming it'll be a Japanese?). You decide your own life. Love your girlfriend, but don't let her make big decisions like that. You're only going out/engaged, not married.

15. Brother

Brother New Member

I'd hate to be, er... offensive (?) but I agree with Infrazael. Don't let your girlfriend run your entire life. Perhaps she's just out to get the car? I dunno your situation and I don't want to jump to conclusions or say anything that might offend you, but seriously, decide your own life. I'd do what I could to stay in Kung Fu.

16. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

Sorry mate, but I agree with Brother & Infrazael. She's controlling you a bit too much. *makes a whipping motion* I'd never let a woman boss me around like that, but so says the single guy. :)

Why don't you sell the old junker and buy a second-hand scooter? I know it isn't quite as cool as a "motercycle," but sometimes you have to make sacrifices like that. When I was buying myself a 4-wheeler last year I decided it would be better off to get a second-hand 250 than a brand new 400. The second-hand four wheeler has run great, and it's all I need. Heck, even when I wanted a PDA I bought a second hand one. Just remember when you're buying second-hand, always get a second opinion. And maybe even a third, fourth, etc. :D

To find cheaper, alternative means to getting what you need takes a bit of research and creativity, but anyone can do it.

And let's hope the new car you're paying for is American and is not labled "sports car." Otherwise your insurance is going to be tough!

Personally I'd talk the woman into selling the new car and getting a reliable second hand one for $3000-$4000, but that's just me. And if she disagrees with me I'd break it off and tell her to pay her own damn bills. After all, she's the one that's draining your pocket.

17. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

we've settled we sat down budgeted and worked it out...we can afford it..juss got to cut costs..apparently the first time we sat down and tried it..we calculated wrong..so now...whoo hoo kung fu...whoo hoooo

18. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

You still haven't answered why you let your girl decide the motorcycle thing for you.

I'M GOING TO GET A CROTCHROCKET, YAHAMA, AND NO WOMAN IS GOING TO STOP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

19. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

honestly i want one..i really do...but working in the medical field and seeing a lot of injuries coming through is the main reason i haven't gotton one yet

I know..it sounds pretty sorry...but it's the truth..i'd still probably want one anyways..but safety wise it wouldn't work out..and i couldn't really have both a car and a motorcycle..cuz i'm a dj and i could never haul my gear around in a bike..which is also y i haven't gotten a bike yet

20. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

if you have a good sifu, all i can say is value the most the time you spend with them. i only had 27 weeks with mine, and i learned the first section of wing chun, some qigong, chi sao and basic drills. i am beggining to practice them more and try everything he said.

its weird, but the more i practice meditating the more i can recall what my sifu said to me to do to improve hehe. also i find meditating helps me imagine what i should do and build my coordination when i have no other to train with.

i am poor to. however my sifu does teach through college, so you might want to check a local college known for good teachers.