correct weight Thai boxing gloves ?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by MindTricks, Sep 26, 2012.

1. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

new to this... it looks like gloves measured by Oz's

what's correct weight for thai boxing / kick boxing gloves ?

also i wanted to use them at the gym for practice and also at home for punch bag. So is there all in one type of gloves ?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

For competitions the glove weight can vary by how much the people weigh (heavyweights using heavier gloves for example). I think that's the case anyway.
    Some gyms stipulate that gloves must be a certain weight for you to spar as they are looking after the safety of everyone. Gym gloves will depend to be heavier than gloves you might wear for fighting at your fighting weight.
    Then of course there are bag gloves that designed for bag and padwork. I like those as they are easy to slip on and off and condition your hands a little because they aren't as padded as boxing gloves. Also saves wear and tear in the long run because one set of gloves aren't doing everything.
    I find hitting a heavy bag with boxing gloves unsatisfactory because a lot of impact is absorbed (or more likely I don't hit very hard so could do with as much impact as I can get :) ).

As in all things...if you are training somewhere it's usually best to ask your coach/instructor what he recommends/requires in his classes.

3. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

thanks dude

i am pretty sure i wont be sparing any time soon =P so i am just looking for pad / bag work out gloves. And i want to take it steady on the bag for now as i am new to this.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In which case I'd go for specific bag gloves. Leather ones.
    They'll last you years and take more punishment than boxing gloves IMHO (because hitting bags/pads is what they are for).
    Bag gloves are also easier to fit in a gym bag if your regular fitness gym has a heavy bag (as many do) and you use it to warm up or whatever.
    If, and when, you start sparring then boxing gloves will come into their own (with a weight that suits you and your instructor/sparring partners). :)

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

6. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

thanks dude, was very helpful ! i will also talk to my thai trainer