Cop fatally shoots firefighter

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Van Zandt, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

A video from the GracieBreakdown channel I like for once. Agree with their perspective on Officer Hubbard's choices.

WARNING - GRAPHIC VIDEO FOOTAGE

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3nhh3HEDkg"]Off-duty Police Officer Fatally Shoots Firefighter During Brawl (Viewer Discretion Advised) - YouTube[/ame]

Here is an article on the story:

http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/a...lly-shoots-newlywed-firefighter-during-brawl/

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It was a good breakdown

With regards to the video of the actual incident, scarcely has my contempt for bystanders been that high.

"Oh that looks excessive" - yeah, you just stand there and comment rather than step in and assist you moron.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Gracie Breakdown's are ace (if a bit hard sell and bias on occaison)!

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hannibal...what's the LEO's stance on bystanders stepping in and assisting?
    Would they welcome it or want you to stay back even if it goes bad?
    Stay back to a point but help if it goes nasty?

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It's sickening.

Even if they didn't want to get physically involved, how they could just stand there and film it rather than phone the emergency services is completely beyond me.

6. David Harrison

Is it normal for off-duty cops to wear their uniform when working security jobs?

7. Hannibal

It depends on the Dept - there is an absolute prohibition against it in nearly all Canadian Services...in fact holding a second job is a lengthy process. In the US the rules are different, and many Depts actually mandate OD carry

8. Hannibal

If I am struggling I would ask - hasn't happened yet but you never know

Generally speaking I would require someone stay back a bit and say "Can I help Officer?" or somesuch

Just steaming in may be warranted, but you run the risk of being mistaken for an assist to the detained party by the officer.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah that's what I thought.
    In some ways I'd feel that stepping in to assist a cop would be like me stepping in to help an electrician.
    I'd feel poorly qualified and likely to do the wrong thing and get someone hurt by accident.

10. Hannibal

In this specific example had they done so instead of filming and being judgmental asshats then there would be one more person alive today

11. David Harrison

Yes, I hope they realise that had they acted differently, instead of thinking they were being clever and "catching-out a bad cop", they could have saved a man's life.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My thoughts too.

These days it seems a lot of bystanders whipping out their cameraphones are liberal types wanting to be the next Edward Snowden or Julian Assange (probably vegetarians).

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Nowt wrong with being liberal or vegetarian. :)

To be honest...I wouldn't have filmed the incident but probably wouldn't have assisted either. It turned nasty very quickly and up until that point looked like a fairly standard arrest where the crim is a bit drunk and belligerent.
    Not compliant but not overly aggressive either.
    So I don't blame them for not helping and it's not their fault the guy died.
    The fault lies squarely with the guy that was shot.

14. David Harrison

But they could at least have used their phone for something more useful than filming it.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

[​IMG]

16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I have to be honest, I wouldn't of intervened then either. When the guy swept the cop I would have but before that? Nope. I'm not going to intervene against an officer when all I would expect out of it is an ass whooping myself, or at least an assaulting a police officer charge that I doubt I'd get any support against. Filming it seemed like the best choice to me and is what I would have done.

edit: And that's by UK standards. I have a much lower opinion of US police and would certainly expect a closed ranks prosecution for intervening and feel lucky not to get hit for it.

17. Hannibal

It is the holier than thou statements made by those idiots that quite clearly set their context and mindset

If I am OD locally i will always help if I see someone struggling. If I am OD internationally i will offer assistance as decribed above. It is entirely likely my role colors my response, although I was always the "step in and help" type even before I was sworn in

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I feel this is a bit unfair. I completely understand why they didn't get involved (even if sounding a bit less...youtubey...would of been nice) and they had no way of knowing someone was about to get shot.

Course that does depend when you thought they sohuld intervene. They were filming instead of intervening during the police being over aggressive, in which case I stand by my previous post that that's completely understandable, and if you meant after the guy fought back then I agree, but at the same time I'm not surprised they didn't. I have never seen anyone intervene in a fight on behalf of a stranger unless its their job. I certainly understand why a guy out with his partner (and his voice doesn't sound like a 200 pound mma fighter) didn't rush to jump between an already proven to be violent cop and a big dude who's punching said cop.

19. David Harrison

What?

You would have been thinking about helping the drunk guy in a tux resist arrest?

20. David Harrison

How was he being overly aggressive?