Contemplating trying Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Lt-DC, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Lt-DC

Lt-DC New Member

Hey everyone, just had a few questions. I have been practicing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for about 5 months now and really enjoy however it is not offered as much as I would like locally. I am debating trying Judo in addition at another school however I have a couple of concerns. I enjoy the informality of BJJ and the training (long periods of sparring and practical work) I am not very interested in learning kata or practicing traditional nonpractical moves. (Sorry if that sounds ignorant, but I guess I am when it comes to Judo) I know Judo concentrates on many throws and takedowns in addition to grappling techniques but does anyone have any opinions on how it could help or hinder progress in BJJ. Thanks for any insight.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It can only help imho

3. Jim

Jim New Member

It all varies depending on who's instructing. Go try it and let us know how it works for you.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Many Judo schools operate in the same relaxed fashion as BJJ ones, I train both.

Let us know how it goes.

Col

5. TAPOUT

TAPOUT New Member

any art will help you progress keep open minded its not all about on style

6. saikyou

saikyou New Member

yup. some wants you to focus on competition judo, some wants you to focus on self-defense, and some wants you to focus on traditional judo.

7. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

it will complement your BJJ. My coach has a 3rd degree blackbelt in judo and a blue belt in BJJ