Contact Lenses

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by craigwarren, Jul 11, 2003.

1. craigwarren

craigwarren Valued Member

I was wondering if anyone here has ever trained wearing contact lenses. I have been thinking of getting contact lenses instead of my glasses, but im unsure if i would if i had to take them out for things like Tae kwon do.

Anyone with experiances or ideas, i'd be greatful.

2. Rob_InDaUk

Rob_InDaUk Grandmaster Sandwich

I am not sure, but I think I read somewhere that Bruce Lee wore contact lenses, so yes I imagine you can wear while training. I'm not sure though..

Rob

3. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I wear glasses. And contacts. I always wear contacts to class and have never had a problem. Just make sure that you get them fitted properly and wear them a month before going to class. That way you know if they will be comfortable or not.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I've been wearing contacts in and out of training for the last 20 years.

My current ones are daily disposals so when one pops outy in training, and they do, it no problem - I have a stash of spares.

5. Yin and Yang

Yin and Yang Valued Member

My friend has contacts and I wear glasses. I just take off my glasses, but yesterday when my friend got poked in the eye, it was not too pretty of a picture. Just protect you eyes and you should be fine. But like said before, make sure they are comfortable before you go to class.
    -X

6. craigwarren

Will there not be any problems if you take a blow to the head in sparring or anything?

7. YODA

Mine tend to pop out sometiems when I get hit in sparring - as I said I have loads of spares so it doesn't bother me.

8. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I haven't had any pop out, yet. Worse problem has been dry eyes. But I have a bottle of drops for that.

9. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I wear glasses and contacts to train in....contacts work fine but get the disposable kind because mine have fallen out 3 times.

10. craigwarren

Ok gotcha disposables it is. Assuming i can actually get contacts. I dunno if i can put something in my eye like that.

11. YODA

Disposables have a very high water content - you'll hardly know they're there.

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I used to have the yearly ones and they wouldn't ever move out of place, even if an arm was accross my face. Got the monthly ones now, not as secure but there fine, and no great worries if I loose one. I've lost a couple with fingers in my eyes, my eyes we're fine, but they might have been scratched without the lenses!

A friend gets his from abroad, Europe somewhere, the daily disposables work out a lot cheaper that way apparantly.

13. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Oh, I use the monthly ones....I got fingered in the eye once and they slid back in my eye and it was pretty uncomfortable, but contacts aren't that bad, just don't put them in backwards.

14. Jazman

Jazman New Member

only problem I've faced with contact lenses is sweat, never had a problem after getting hit whilst sparring. I use the good ol' ones you have to take out every night(Laser eye surgery when I hit 21!) been wearing them for 6 years straight. As long as your eyes get used to them it shouldn't be a problem. Oh, and if you wear hair gel ever make sure you wash it out before exersize, stings like crazy!

15. YODA

...... and if you're handling fresh chillis and slicing them - and your lense slips - DO NOT prod it back without washing your hands VERY thouroughly!

Yes - I know this from experience! LOL!

16. Jay

Jay New Member

.... and do NOT ever go for a wee after chopping chillies !!!!!

Yes - I know this from experience :D

Jay

17. YODA

..... Yep - done that one too - I was drunk - that's my (v.poor) excuse :D

18. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Craig, Jim (HWUTS) wears contacts all the time in training. Not only can he see better but I'm sure there's been more than one occasion where he's been knackered and said

"Oh wait, my contacts fallen out!"

Sneaky bugger!

Mind you you could just continue and use the most sacred piece of fighting advice I've ever heard......

R.Balboa:"I see three of 'im out there!"
    Paulie:"Hit the one in the middle!"

Pure genius!

19. Jim

Jim New Member

I wear contacts in training when I'm teaching but every now and then I like to fight 'blind'. Being shortsighted I can see a blurry blob and it's good practise for times that you're unprepared. I have had some bad experiences though and disposable lens would be a better way to go. Just a bit dear I think.

20. Rob_InDaUk

Rob_InDaUk Grandmaster Sandwich

Does it not hurt when you put contact lenses in and take them out? I always cringe when I see people taking them out!!

Rob