Congratulations America

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Nov 6, 2020.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, I know the history and associations with tacticool, but like it or not it's a popular style of clothing now.

As for being automatically associated with far right extremists if you wear it, I get the impression Mitlov is attempting to point out the cultural ignorance inherent in that judgement.

Maybe you need some sensitivity training! ;)

Dead_pool and bassai like this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Don't you know, critical tailoring theory isn't approved anymore, the government has decided that it's false news.

Anyway your right, I found a meme that says so and everything.

4vdu6k.jpg

David Harrison likes this.
  3. Grond

Grond Valued Member

It's always ok, as long as the hat, pants, or suit doesn't have some sort of hidden agenda that eventually leads to an attempt to overthrow the government on a work day.

Remember when certain people freaked out about this? I think it had to be the same types that overran the Capitol. Same kind of crazy.

[​IMG]

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

No, you don't get to casually say things like "If you don't like being associated with Nazis, don't dress like them," make post videos about Waffen SS uniforms and insignia, and make reference to a song about cross-burning, and then say that YOU'RE not saying anything, just PEOPLE are. That's a classic Trump turn of phrase. "People are saying..."

You associated 5.11 Tactical and similar brands with white supremacy and domestic insurrection. These are all pictures from 5.11's facebook page, all these people are dressed head to toe in 5.11 Tactical (and pretty commonly for the rural American west right now). You are saying that people who look like this are "dressing like Nazis."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not saying you need to like this style. You're free to dislike it just like I dislike skinny jeans or overdone, waxed moustaches. But if you say that people who dress like this "look like" domestic terrorists and white supremacists, you're engaging in some pretty egregious and offensive regional/cultural stereotyping, because this is how tens of millions of people in the American west dress.

5. Dead_pool

Wearing tacticool gear is now your culture?

Honestly this is the thing your upset about? a throwaway comment about how the insurrectionists have spoiled a type of clothes in the eyes of some people.

If it helps I've always thought tacticool clothes out of context are quite silly.

Going hiking, fair enough, carrying a lot of gear, fair enough, going to the supermarket, it just looks silly.

But that's ok, just because I think it's silly, doesn't mean you have to care, it's not like it's the police profiling you to be searched because of your clothes is it.

6. Dead_pool

I can't see the red hat, he must of taken it off as he was ordering Dijon mustard in his hotdog, whilst in charge of the deep state.

Haha

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm upset because you said that me and the people in my region look like Nazis and insurrectionists, made a quip about us burning crosses, and refused to take any responsibility for your words. As a Jew and a government employee, whose life is threatened by actual Nazis and insurrectionists, those are not labels I take lightly.

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Dead_pool

Many of the brand's the Nazis and insurrectionists have chosen to wear have discontinued those designs of clothes, so it's not "just me", they chose those types of clothes on purpose, both to blend in, and because they at least partially come from those communities.

That's not a "many people stay" statement, that's a statement of fact. If your personal identity is so wrapped up in those clothes, then I can see you'd be upset about that, but that's life, be upset at the Nazis and insurrectionists, not the person pointing it out.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Apologize for throwing around Nazi and cross burning comments. Take responsibility for your words. I cannot put into words without violating the terms of service how upset I am that you keep calling me a Nazi, a cross-burner, an insurrectionist, etc. I told you that actual Nazis and insurrectionists are a credible threat to my life and my family's lives and you just merrily doubled down. Honestly what the hell.

10. David Harrison

Which brands other than Fred Perry have done that?

Actual nazi clothing, for reference: The Far Right’s Secret Weapon: Fascist Fashion

11. Dead_pool

I havn't called you anything, theres no need to play the victim here.

12. Dead_pool

How on earth is this saying your a Nazi, it literally includes the words, "your not a Nazi."

13. Dead_pool

I doubt MAGA hats or Q t-shirts are still selling....
    But yes I meant the Fred Perry black and yellow deal.

14. David Harrison

I would bet money that they are!

15. Dead_pool

Half price on eBay!!

16. Dead_pool

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

"Tactical" gear has become a bit like the Union Flag in the UK. Not everyone who has them is horrible but a LOT of horrible people absolutely love them. They have become somewhat of a dog whistle for a certain kind of person.

Mangosteen, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  18. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

You think your own flag is a sign of political extremism? I can't relate to that perspective. Regardless, flags and MAGA hats are inherently political messages. That's all they are. Cargo pants and hiking boots are functional clothing, not political speech.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

I thought we were talking about tactical clothes and boots, hiking boots and clothes are a different thing with a somewhat (but not totally) different context.

You can wear tactical clothes to hike in, and to cosplay, you can wear hiking clothes to hike in, but not really cosplay in.

That's probably the difference in our views.

The states are far more comfortable with the outward signs of the military then the UK is, that extends from the police, to having flags everywhere, flags on clothing, to the pledge of allegiance in schools, much of America is just very alien to the UK, and that's fine.

The flag thing is wierd, unless theres an active sports competition on, overt nationalism is looked in with suspicion here, which means it's easy to spot the extremists.

20. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Maybe you and I aren't using "tactical" the same. Did you ACTUALLY LOOK at those three photos of clothing I posted from 5.11 Tactical's catalog? I'd call it tactical but not paramilitary. That's representative of my wardrobe. I don't own a plate carrier or a combat helmet. I do own stuff like this:

Apex pant: Apex™ Pant

TacLite Coyote boot: 5.11 Taclite™ 6" Coyote Boot

Rush messenger bag: RUSH Delivery MIKE 6L

Traverse belt: Traverse™ Double Buckle Belt

It's durable, practical, comfortable, and modern and it makes for nice everyday wear. It's not paramilitary, but it is tactical, as folks over here use the term. Until this thread, I've never once heard anyone associate clothes like this with domestic terrorism and white supremacy. It's a bizarre connection to make.

I don't consider hiking boots outside of a hiking context to be "cosplay," any more than I consider women in yoga pants not doing yoga to be doing "cosplay," or people wearing office clothing outside of an office to be doing "cosplay," or people wearing RealTree camo in the grocery store to be doing "cosplay," or goths wearing goth clothes outside of a goth club to be doing "cosplay." People gotta wear something to the grocery store and there's no specific outfit custom built for the job, so people wear what they're comfortable in. I'm good with it, doesn't affect me at all. Do you always spend this much energy worrying about what other people in a grocery store are wearing?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021