Congrats to new Rapid Arnis Instructors

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pat OMalley, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

So Bob what is your Systemised Eskrima all about then? Is it a group from the Philippines? This is your chance to show some maturity and input into an educational chat on a forum about FMA. Where better place to talk and explain your concepts and ideas.

What principles do you base your system on?

How is it structured?

What format does it follow?

What influences your style?

And what makes it unique?

Have you retained any specific styles within your system and if so why?

If you have had to make any adaptations to techniques learnt from other styles, what are they and why?

Oh and by the way I knew about Dave the Dragon long before it happened, we all did...and we were fully aware of your input in the whole charade.....was it not your concoction in the first place Bob, were you not Dave to begin with in the magazines, just in the end it got so far that Pat found out it was you writing the letters to wind him up and promote your mag, then when Dave the Dragon challenged him in the mag (taking it a bit far when you were obviously not going to show up as Dave), being a good friend at the time to cover up on your behalf Pat had to find you a stand in Dave for the challenge on video, Pat knew it was a joke, all his students knew it was a joke and everyone that saw the video afterwards knew it was a joke.

So stop bitching and get educating, we are all ears.....lets genuinly talk FMA.

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

2. Lucy O'Malley

Oh one more thing....Bob...

If Jose Bernado did not want any publicity or pictures etc....

Why are you mentioning him and his vacinity in the magazine? Surely that is against his privacy and wishes.

Did you know Jose actually writes on this forum but under a different name.

But to respect his privacy, we will keep that one to ourselves.

Lucy

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Thats the whole point of forums :)

The free and swift exchange of information in an open medium ;)

4. BobSykes

BobSykes New Member

I did not slag anyone off, that's your department. i have merely made a couple of points to which, as always you over reacted.

give em enough rope!!

5. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Sigh,

Here we go again

6. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

*sighs also, and bites tongue

7. Lucy O'Malley

Or....you could answer the questions about your style of FMA, which was the points I was raising to you, in response to your comments/points (I was trying to have a friendly discussion).

Have you read the article that you wrote about your FMA years....I mean really read it. You mispelt nearly every style and some even had hilarious translations...as an editor you should do some research.

What is Tapardo? Rat Irada? and Bali Tok? come on.... I am pretty sure this would insult all your FMA instructors in one foul swoop.

You also mentioned that after your Guro could no longer teach you, he informed you that you were going to be approached by two new teachers of your own ilk.... get a grip...there is no fantasy in FMA...just reality. The FMA does not train people to believe in fantasies and mystical approaches, it trains people in combat experiences.

The article led to some very entertaining reading and much confusion from some very senior instructors and they were left with one burning question....WHAT???

Now what is your point about Rapid Arnis....? I may be wrong, but let me show you something:

Rapid Arnis...name made up.
    System & method of training...Developed from experience and training.

Karate...name made up.

Kung Fu...name made up.

Jeet Kune Do ...name made up.

Ju Jitsu...name made up.

Keysi Systems...name made up.

Any style or method of Martial Arts (Insert name here)...name made up.

Your point being.....???

Without any of these, your magazine/career would have no content and no market thus no readers.....in fact, there would be no magazine.

Please explain what it is you are getting at.......in detail please.

Why have you been criticising chat forums in your magazine of late, if you are obviously trying to use this medium to make a point of some kind. I thought you made your point in the magazine...that people should not go near them.

Look forward to hearing from you and discussing more of your points of view (that is what we do here) just make it clear what your points are, whether I agree is neither here nor there...we will disagree I am sure, but make your subject matters clear please.

Lucy

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

All I can say Bob, is if you have a point then you should make it clear to everyone, after all not everyone can read what is going on in other peoples heads.

The way you have put things on here in your very few posts has seemed to many as just bitching. Maybe your not explaining yourself clearly enough for the general non mind reading public in a way they can understand?

Bob, if you have a valid point to make then please make it, or if you wish to contribute something usefull to the discussion on FMA then please do so.

Actually after reading your editorial in your great mag I was surprised to see you back on MAP commenting, maybe the forum is now doing to you what your magazine has done over the years, gaining interest, readers and contributors.

If you are happy with what you do and who you train with, then I am happy for you. Because I am happy in what I do and who I train with so live long and stay happy Bob.

Anyway back on subject, congrat's to all those who stood up for over 11 hours and tested their hard learnt skills to the max. You deserve to give yourselves a big pat on the back for all of your years of dedicated study and hard work. And what ever anyone says, they can never take that expeariance away from you. I know for a fact the Rapid Arnis Instructor gradings are very hard and many outsiders and newcommers who have seen these tests of skill and endurance have commented how hard it was and how well earnt our instructor grades are.

And hopefully (if Peter gets his act together) the video will be hear soon for all to see:D

Best regards

Pat

9. wish1

wish1 New Member

Master sykes,I called your club last week as I wanted to train there in your stick class I spoke to a friendly young man called Salvatore who informed me you dont do adult stick anymore as your into silat now. If you do teach stick I would love to come along if you can post your class times for me.

10. Sgt_Major

Silat teaches stick. Just in a different format.

11. wish1

wish1 New Member

In a format where I get to hit people with a stick?

12. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Yeah, but sticks aren't taught straight away. There is a systematic approach, where you learn lankhas(footworks), conditioning and a host of other principles before you pick up a stick. It doesn't form part of the core syllabus, but can be taught on request to those interested. (In my system anyway)

If you purely want to learn stick-fighting, then your best to look for a different system (Escrima, kali, etc.)

Hope this helps....

13. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

PM me, there are 4 clubs in your area to choose from that teach authentic FMA.

Best regards

Pat

14. wish1

wish1 New Member

Thanks Pat I was just confused as to why systemised escrima was advertised by the club but is not taught there

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

what is this "systematized escrima"? who teaches it? what "influences" is it?

16. BobSykes

BobSykes New Member

Since this is Pat's Forum we think it might be a good idea to maybe go and train with pat a while first.

This will enable you to get used to the basic drills and perhaps build up a bit of confidence fighting in the odd WEKAF tournament.
    After which your free to come and train where the likes of Salvatore Greenwood and Asaf Muhktar will be able to show you how to function what you’ve learned.

17. Sgt_Major

lmao!

Congrats Pat. I guess your my new boss then, huh?

LMAO!

Sorry, I gotta go pee, cos thats freakin hilarious!

18. Freeform

Bob, I think I understand where the confussion is coming from now. Pat has a link to MAP on his Rapid Arnis website under 'forum'. Pat doesn't run MAP but is a member or the forum and asked the site Administrators if it was ok to link to MAP, which it obviously is as we're always looking to expand the community.

There are three owners of the site, two of whom are still active on the site, these being Yoda (Dave 'Yoda' Green) and HongKongFuey (James Frost).

But as MAP is a community, this would be impossible without members. It's the members that set the tone of the community, the site is what the members make it (with a little bit of help from the staff ;) )

Just wanted to clear this up :)

19. wish1

wish1 New Member

Bob.
    Having just moved into the area I wanted to train as much as poss and with as many people as poss. with most clubs only training eskrima once a week I thought as a beginner I would like to train more but thanks for your help.

20. Freeform

Sorry Bob, I missed this bit before.

With regards to your second statement there, nice almost under the radar insult there. Having trained with Pat on a few occasions, I'd say he's more than capable of showing you how to function what he teaches (I've got the marks to prove it :) ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.