Confirmed My Thailand Gym!

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Pretty In Pink, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Got a confirmation e-mail from the owner yesterday saying I 100% have the option to tryout. He said the biggest factor is integrating well with the group. I'm SO EXCITED at the prospect of training full time. It honestly feels like Christmas.

So now is the time to save up like crazy! I've got about half my plane ticket saved up already and I'm going to keep my nose to the grindstone to get the rest! It's making work way more rewarding!

Smaug97, Nojon, Travess and 3 others like this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Awesome, how does that work with corvid19?

They have a ban on all anyone entering the country and the moment, and all foreigners must have medical insurance, I assume you'll get the go ahead once that's over with.

Does the camp provide food and lodgings? What's the deal after that, do you have to have a certain amounts of fights per month, to keep it?

3. Pretty In Pink

I asked about the ban, they're relaxing it a bit. Sounds like they're one phase ahead of the UK but they have a lot less cases all round. By the time I'm going it shouldn't be an issue.I have to get my own food and lodgings but it shouldn't be too difficult. Poverty is something I'm used to although by comparison I'll be wealthy there.

Conditions really include keeping a good social media presence. I will be fighting a lot too though as that is the entire point of going is to get lots of experience so when I open up a gym I can point to my emperical evidence.

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

That's GREAT!!!! And it sounds awesome.

5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Fantastic! Great news :)

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Excellent! Well done and good luck

7. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Which gym? Just out of curiosity.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

How long will you be going for, or is this a permanent move?

9. Pretty In Pink

One or two years hopefully.

axelb and Van Zandt like this.
  10. Pretty In Pink

Don't really want to say until I'm physically there (I just don't want to jinx it) but it's a good one!

axelb likes this.
  11. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Ok just curious. I dont train Muay Thai, just love it. enjoy!

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Good luck mate!

13. Pretty In Pink

Found an education visa that is self defence based, recommended to me by Reddit!

12 Month Self Defence ED Visa | Chiang Mai Buddy

Exclusive to Chiang Mai, our 12-month Self-Defense ED (Education) Visa is the only program of its kind in Thailand. Run by a skilled team of Thai military police instructors under the leadership of an elite VIP bodyguard, this immigration-approved school is specifically designed for all ages and fitness levels.

Unlike the 12-month volunteer visa, this solution allows the bearer to attach a multiple re-entry permit for travel flexibility if required. Fast track 90-day reporting is included in the service.

Persons of any age or fitness level will enjoy this program. Granted upon enrollment (2 weeks from application), during your time at the school you will develop skills to defend yourself from physical attack and forge lasting relationships with local army personnel.

The three key parts of this for me are:

Good for future references when opening school (Trained with Thai Army)
    1 year rather than 9 months like most visas
    Make friends with local police and military (Being on their good side could be very handy over there)

What do you guys think?

14. Dead_pool

Won't you have to go to the terrible SD school for the year with that visa? And not the MMA gym you've already been accepted by?

It's a scam to get the 861.62 Pound sterling out of you, just get the tourist visa and spend the extra cash on better accomodation at the end/ an emergency fund.

15. Pretty In Pink

Tourist visa means I'm doing visa runs every thirty days and staying in hostels. Getting an education visa of any kind is generally a better option (I'm told by people who train long term).

And yeah, it's a crappy self defence class. I watched the video. It's as bad as you imagine but I'm more interested in meeting local police and getting on their good side. I'm hoping they'll cover legalI ties in Thailand and other aspects but I doubt it.

16. Dead_pool

Does the MMA gym your going to have any better advice?

They will of dealt with this situation before.

From a quick look, I couldn't see visa runs every 30 days, I see 90 days mentioned, with some visas though?

Visa : Non-Immigrant visas - Royal Thai Embassy, London

Would,
    Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year/Multiple entries, be the one you should actually get?

Edit, can you sign up to learn Thai as a course?
    You can get a lot of education for 900 quid!

17. Pretty In Pink

I can't get Multiple Entry visa. Required to have 5 grand in your bank for six months prior to applying.Right now I'm at like +£400 and I haven't even paid for the ticket yet (although I'm glad to be out of debt FINALLY). So it has to be an education visa, which also allows me to renew it every 90 days without leaving the country (unlike a multi entry). So right now the biggest thing I'm looking at is places that take on education visas. Some Muay Thai gyms do them but often they are dodgy I'm told. The school I'm going to doesn't do it because apparently it's crazy expensive in terms of taxes. So I'm looking at either learning Thai language or going to a self defence course. The self defence stuff looks pretty bad but I think it's equally expensive to enroll in a language school, perhaps more-so. If you can find me a few cheap options I'd certainly take a look, your google-fu is unmatched!

Dead_pool likes this.
  18. Dead_pool

I'll have a look!

Although Reddit CAN be ideal for finding out about things like that, depending on who's logged on that day,
    Have you tried searching on their too?

As a boring old persons I would say learning Thai, in Thailand is of more use to you whilst your there, and when your back trying to explain to an employer what you did over there, then the SD training will be.

19. Pretty In Pink

I'll be learning Thai regardless although perhaps a qualification would help.

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Train with the army guys.

Just think of the guns.