Conditioning...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TkdWarrior, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

C'mon guys who says 'bout conditioning bones here? u condition ur muscles, not bones remember? And u condition them mildly, not like a car crashing into a wall at 160 mph.
    |Cain|

2. fluffydoc

fluffydoc Carry On MAPper

Khafra - just did a brief literature review on medline but didn't find anything. Where did you find this information?

3. Adam

Adam New Member

Enduring makes you strong. In my personal experience one of the truths of life. Having sufficient pain inflicted upon you, physical or mental, will in time harden you greatly, if you don't break under the strain.

4. Guitarboy1212

Guitarboy1212 New Member

conditioning

About the shaolin Martial Arts. I have never heard of them doing that. And i have a question for TKDWarrior. Could you explain to me about conditioning. I'm not trying to be rude, but how does tree wacking help you. How does hitting yourself make you stronger. Could you give me some sites to give me information on this?

5. Crippler

Crippler New Member

it depends on where you live for choosing an allround martial art.
    if you have the ability I would choose Jeet Kune Do.
    Otherwise an allround kungfu school is a very good school.

Crippler

6. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

lift weights
    it strengthens your muscles (duH)
    and you ligamaments and tendons
    and also improves bone density. ie makes them stronger.
    It also help improve flexiblity if done properly

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

(((Applause)))

:D

8. shortstick

shortstick New Member

A long time friend of mine who grew up in Japan training in Shotakan did this kind of training. They punched progressivly harder objects over time to "condition" the hands. His right fist was so "conditioned" he could punch parking meeters, tele-poles, rocks with seemingly no pain. To this day I would not want to get hit by that punch! However, now in his 40's that hand has become arthritic.
    There is a need to be able to take a good shot while in the middle of a battle for sure, but you dont see boxers just standing there letting another guy pop him in the chin over and over to condition him. :p

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yep - I've heard this so many times. The enthusiasm of youth turns into acknowledged ignorance in later life :D

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

sorry didn't saw this question earlier...
    well i hav no idea because i havn't read any literature/theories on it. but wat i think it's more of programming ur mind to take the beating.. it's like when u go down in a non familiar road u'll feel unconfortable but when u come next time on the same road u won't feel that uncomfortable.. right.. its the same way. conditioning basically gives u idea wat's coming ...
    tree wacking doens't actually makes stronger...
    even to reach the stage where u can wack tree is looooooong winded road...
    first u need to conditioning ur arms/shins hitting against the partner, when u can take good shot then u increase power n pressure...
    no they r used to get punched in face/abdomen area even when they r practicing it's same as conditioning...
    either u do this way(sparr a lot more and take some bruises) or do other way...
    in Hard training u CAN get those results, but that was much of stupidity ..
    Master Leong told my teacher that Gen Choi used to do conditioning even around the age of 80...
    My teachers' teacher does conditioning and he's above 45(i guess)
    none of them got arthritis...
    there's very fine line divinding entuasism and stupidity.

and guitarboy no i don't know any sites about conditioning may be Kungfu Guys here can help u out with that...
    -TkdWarrior-

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

So if you get arthritis then its stupidity, but if you're lucky enough to dodge the bullet then its enthusiasm, gotcha.

12. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

ROFL.

Good one Jimmy :D

13. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

So if you get arthritis then its stupidity, but if you're lucky enough to dodge the bullet then its enthusiasm, gotcha.
    -----------------------------
    good one jimmy...

but unfortunately in the process of sheer enthuasism in writing a post to me u took the curve to the stupidity's place and forgot to read my whole post.
    "There's fine line dividing both of them"

-TkdWarrior-

14. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

oh anyways when i m talking about conditioning... i m talking about specific parts like arms(forearms), Shins, abdomen and thighs.... these r not joints so u hav no chances of getting arthritis. I Don't do any of Knuckle conditioning except knuckle pushups... there is one of Bagua/Taiji methods of soft Iron palm method which i used to do but hav stopped because i run out of patience...
    -TkdWarrior-

15. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

There is no dividing line here.

Whether its joints or not is irrelevant, besides which arthritis is not the only danger. As for knuckle pushups, not a good idea, certainly not on a hard surface. Spreads the knuckles leading to microfractures in the bone which then heal up and swell, harder bone than before, but stiffening the joints.

16. Andy Murray

It's about quantity though chaps!

I've done thousands of knuckle pushups, and still play piano. For me, that quantity has done no harm, for others it might.

The reason I was doing knuckle pushups was to strengthen the wrist, and 'not' to condition the knuckles though!

17. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

That is the reason I also did knuckle pushups, made my punches a lot more stronger.

I think bashing your shins against trees and things similar to that is plain stupid.

18. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

*bows*
    Thanks Yoda
    I got interested in weight traing to help build some mass and strength so I could withstand the blows of 6 foot rattan sticks and wear armor.
    It sucks being only 150 pounds :(

19. Adam

Adam New Member

I've done thousands of knuckle pushups too, and I've still got weak wrists. What am I doing wrong? I do the pushups on the two front knuckles, is that wrong?

20. Andy Murray

Most people won't even consider it, but we used to do them on the back of the hand too.

There's a thread on wrist exercises somewhere on the Health & Fitness section, I'll see if I can find it.