Conditioning...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TkdWarrior, Oct 13, 2002.

1. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

ok guys n gals as u could hav guessed it...this thread will talk about different conditioning styles used in MA...
    so u ppl mind sharing some of ur conditioning styles with me/us?
    well first here goes mine...
    for forearm n shin i do tree beating...
    for abdomen hitting on abdomen n chest area... sometimes with object or by partner...
    i m practicing Tai-chi so i hope as i hav heard my bones will be more heavier n strong(they already r in good condition :D)
    i sometimes condition thigh(back) too with partner kicking with his/her shin...

then i m learning Iron Body Gong which shows some significant results in at least 4-5 years...hmmm...it's pain...

thnx
    -TkdWarrior-

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Conditioning in which sense exactly?

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

ur body, arms, shins, abdomen and something called Iron Body...
    u do it?
    -TkdWarrior-

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Nope, it causes massive damage, including potential arthritis and cancers. Iron Body I've seen, and it seemed very impressive, although not very practical.

5. fluffydoc

fluffydoc Carry On MAPper

How does it cause cancers?

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm ckdstudent i can bet u hav got it quite wrong... all those who hav got damaged just overdid it... well anyways it's even good to stay away from Iron body if u don't hav any idea
    but wat about simple shin n forearms conditioning? don't u do...
    -TkdWarrior-

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

This type of conditioning is just dumb. I prefer to condition my opponent's body by whacking it rather than my own.

And yes, Cancer. I lost a friend to it after a whack on the shin. Not funny.

8. tuney30

tuney30 New Member

is this the same techniques as the shaolin minks use?

if its so bad how come they use it? or do they use it properly?
    are there any pain conditioning exercises that are safe?

9. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Tuney,

I heard of the five main Shaolin animals........Tiger, Dragon, Crane etc, but I'm sure the Mink was never mentioned. In fact, I'm not sure it's even indigenous to China, still we learn something every day ;). I haven't come across any Shaolin guys doing any shin to shin conditioning, which is where the majority of concern lies.

Unless of course......you know different?

Andy:)

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I'll take that bet quite happily. Conditioning works by killing your nerves, and creating microfractures in the bone which then heal up stronger than before. There are illnesses which also cause deadening of the nerves, leprosy for example. I fail to see how subjecting your body to unnecessary punishment that it is not designed to take is a good thing.

11. Spike

Spike New Member

Quote:
    I heard of the five main Shaolin animals........Tiger, Dragon, Crane etc, but I'm sure the Mink was never mentioned. In fact, I'm not sure it's even indigenous to China, still we learn something every day .

I am Inspector Clouseau, do you have a leesans for your minkey?

12. YODA

....... I agree. Getting hit is an unavoidable part of training, it happens enough without doing it to yourself.

13. Cain

Cain New Member

But does'nt conditioning toughen your body? I mean I hv seen results. Ppl who get injured just overdo it. I think that conditioning is an important part of MA They are also needed in certain techniques for example - you sure as hell would want your shin to be conditioned when your opponent blocks your snap kick with an elbow or the back of his fist [ouch!!!]
    Hope I don't sound dumb :love:
    Cain

14. YODA

..... you'd be better off spending the time working on not getting your kick blocked.

15. Cain

Cain New Member

Dear Yoda,
    No offence but I am afraid you can't completely ignore that subject conditioning helps and sometimes, it might be the only way to get out of a jam also it can prevent quite a few injuries.
    As for your kicking suggestion, there will be always be the one someone who will block it and u get the pain of your life and u will get hit like u have never been hit before in ur life. [OUCH!!!]

16. Kat

Kat Valued Member

I know you are refering to shaolin stlye conditioning,which I don't think is a particular practical usuage of time

However I have always thought of my general training as a form of conditioning the body.My CV training makes my heart strong and healthy,grappling makes my joints flexible and gives me power to manipulate other bodies,partner work gives me sensitivity training.
    And my rock climbing makes my hands hard,tendons strong and I have a kick **** power to body weight ratio
    just a different veiw to the whole conditioning deal

17. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I feel that if your training in a realist environment then you'll get all the conditioning that you need without battering yourself off a tree or wall.

Thanx

18. YODA

Very well said that man!

19. fluffydoc

fluffydoc Carry On MAPper

Yoda, not meaning to be disrespectful to you or your friend but how do you know that the blow to his shin caused the cancer? I appreciate this might be a difficult subject for you but I guess a lot of people reading this might be alarmed by this idea given that we've all been hit. I'd just like to clarify it.

Thanks.

20. khafra

khafra New Member

From what I've read since initially posting, a solid impact to a bone can cause a lesion, bone-bruise kinda thing, and that can develop into cancer.