Concerning hapkido

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Dead_pool, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

2. Dead_pool

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074657184&postcount=13

" When I have been to seminars and classes, I am there to Fence. Fencing is tricky at best and learning how to parry, thrust and divert takes years just like learning MT Hand. What I find is that there are a lot of guys who will charge me, parry my weapon out of their way and start wrestling. Really ticks me off and I have had more than one temptation to roll my blade back to the centerline and jam it somewhere disrespectful and let the consequences fall as they might. I just know that had we been using steel swords I don't imagine a person would be THAT cavalier (no pun) about charging me. Thoughts?*"

3. Dead_pool

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074659800&postcount=10

" In discussing European Fencing and Dualing, Amsberger indicated that the greater number of engagements that started with picture-perfect sword form wound up in tussling around and finally rolling around on the ground.* If you go with the idea of Fencing someone who is armed with a real weapon and deadly intent, it would follow that a person would want to get inside that weapon's range. An accomplished weapons person would know how to keep this from happening. A clutz would easily get run-up-on and grabbed.* Ergo?* I would hold with sound use of elbows and knees. A second thought would be low fast kicks and perhaps some sort of two-handed swordwork that allowed for, say, a knuckle-bow to be brought into service as a "knuckle-duster" or a kosch. I have a copy of a book at home that speaks to effective grappling in 16th Century European swordwork. FWIW.* BTW: In Korean GEUM BEOP there are uses made of the sword pommel for just such occassions.*"

4. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Why are you trying to make something out of nothing? It seems you're working very hard to be adversarial, Icefield, and I dont know why.

If you want absolutes and need to play the point for point, what if game then you're looking in the wrong place. I'm not here to prove anything to you, just have a discussion. A tone like yours pretty much puts a period at the end of any attempt or desire I have to continue.

Now, if you want to TALK about things without being a **** about it, I'll do my very level best. If you dont, you're easy enough to ignore big guy. It's your call. So many of you have jumped on Bruce for HIS delivery and then turn around and do the same. Theres a word for that... Starts with an H ...

I already said I dont have all the answers, I've only studied for 3 years and I'm doing my best to convey things as I've been taught them. If thats not good enough then go take HKD and in three or four years YOU tell ME. I'll wait...

Like I said, you can keep trying to make this into something adversarial or we can talk like men. Your choice.

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

ok i apologise its not you this should be aimed at but bruce

But cant you see a problem with the scenario i wrote? or did i miss represent what you said?

Because it seemed to me you were saying a lot along the whole its too deadly to spar argument which alot of us have heard before, if i miss represented you i apologise but thats how it seems to me

You seem to be saying alot of HKD wont work in sparring because there are too many rules and its too dangerous to spar with HPD that way and in doing so you have to modify the art so much it is no longer HKD, would that be a fair assessment?

6. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

So now you're just going to slam Bruce? Classy Fusen. What is this, 8th grade? You dont like someone so you slander them? Jesus, grow up.

What a lot of you seem to have trouble with is respectfully discussing something you dont agree with. You instantly resort to aggressive, accusing posts and ... THIS stuff... For the life of me I dont get it but I find it really exhausting.

I haven't treated anyone here differently than I'd treat them in real life. I apologize when I'm wrong, try to see another's point of view and try NOT to be argumentative because its disrespectful and childish but my God some of you seem to live for it...

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Boys, calm down.

What I see is six of one and half a dozen of the other. Both sides trying to get the winning post and both sides being patronising.

Yes, both sides. Both sides saying, "are you stupid" and "can you read".

It's not necessary so let's stick to the discussion please.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Thread locked as it's descended into petty point scoring. Some people round here need to learn to discuss things on a discussion forum without making snide remarks and taking petty digs at each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.