Concealing a 2 foot baton?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mewtwo55555, Aug 11, 2017.

1. mewtwo55555

mewtwo55555 Valued Member

So it is perfectly legal wear I live to have and carry and conceal a baton. I am wondering if anyone in here has any ideas on good ways to conceal a 2 foot long baton on your person without a bag? I have thought about a yoga bag or such but there are a few stores that ask that bags be left at the front counter due to theft of store products. and bags are a hassle to carry and such. I am wanting to stay away from expandable batons and just focus on straight batons.

I am being 100 percent legit in asking this question so please can we stay on topic and such.

Outside of putting a baton down a pant leg or such I really cant think of any way to conceal one. So I am asking you guys.

Thanks

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Perhaps a Concealex scabbard sewn into the liner of your coat. That's how Adrian Paul carried his sword on the "Highlander" tv show. <cough>

Or a large school backpack, and shove it in there diagonally.

Or drill a hole and loop a string through it, like old-school police bobby sticks had, except make the string long enough to fit on your shoulder. So the stick hangs from your shoulder.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Why are you looking to conceal the baton?

If you are looking to take the bag to and from class just by a proper bag.

If you are concealing it as a weapon you have much better options, because by the time you've deployed the baton you'll already be toast.

Dunc likes this.
  4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

What Simon said; can you open/conceal carry a firearm where you are?

There are backpacks available from firearms manufacturers which have a storage compartment in the bottom, and the panel is secured by velcro, permitting quick and easy access. Something like that might be available for your baton.

5. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Telescopic baton for the win.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  6. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

That seems like a fairly terrible idea for a concealed weapon, anywhere you carry it that's surreptitious is going to take about a month to retrieve it from.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

All these posts and not a single innuendo? For shame MAP, for shame. :)

robertmap, Mitch and pgsmith like this.
  8. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

You can shove it right up yer...

Sleeve.

9. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Setting aside the ethical and legal issues for a moment

Purely from a martial arts perspective a concealed non-telescopic baton is not particularly useful given its length and range of effective use

I.e. It will take a while to bring into play by which time most likely the situation will have gone beyond its effective range of use

My advice is to train self defence, awareness etc and not to carry a concealed weapon

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Unless you have trained EXTENSIVELY in an FMA system then don't as a two foot baton is not going to avail you much - An Extendable has a construction advantage and more "wallop" to it, so get one of those if you insist on carrying a baton.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If I wanted to carry a baton 100% it would be collapsible with a holster.

12. mewtwo55555

Here is a link to a study done on batons and their effectiveness.

Kinetic Energy Transfer Based Upon Police Baton Designs

Thanks for the input like I thought not really any good way to carry a baton unless it is expandable. I had thought of a long jacket and such but in summer and such that does not work.

I have had to many bad experiences with expandable batons to want to carry them anymore.

13. Hannibal

Let me guess - you bought a cheap one right? As someone who uses and has used batons regularly - both martial and vocational - the collapsing one is the better option, but it has to be one that is a GOOD collapsible

Get as ASP

Mushroom likes this.
  14. Hannibal

Or a solid walking cane - same result and you don;t even need to conceal it

Thomas likes this.
  15. mewtwo55555

When you say use them how often would you say you use them? I have heard from people in security and police officers that even ASP's and Monadnocks break or fail to deploy or such. I would spend the money on an ASP if I knew it would last and such.

16. Hannibal

Guns jam, sticks snap, knives break....ASP at least guarantee their equipment for life

This year's is coming up 20 as an LEO, and I have used ASP, Monadnock PR24, Arnold and some others...ASP beats all IMO

But if you don't train in FMA it's pretty much just a lump of metal

17. Hannibal

And you won't be using it 1/10 as much so failures of deployment will be very low

18. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, certainly if a hidden stick is okay, then an open stick is okay. Go with a cane. Much simpler.

Thomas likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What happened?
    Did it fail to extend? Or would it not go down afterwards?

20. mewtwo55555

Both, also have had ones where the end shaft came out of the baton. I have also had ones that after a few hits I had to "reset" the baton by opening it again cause the friction locks had loosened. Now yes I have a tendency to "play" with them by opening and closing them allot. Doing forms with them and such. I do realize that if you just keep it in its holder till you need it, it would not be wore out. But with all the issues I have had with batons and all the issues I have heard people talk about them online I really do not like them.

Also there is some issue with how light expandable are vs non-expandable batons. I have linked a study in an earlier post in this thread.

Now take this story with a grain of salt because it is a story a guy told on the internet. But on another forum this guy had an issue with an expandable baton a true ASP bending when being hit with a baseball bat when he was working security. Another time he had a straight stick made of Cocobolo hardwood and had a similar incident with a lead pipe and all that broke on his baton was the leather strap.