Conan comic books (Marvel 1970)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ShadowHawk, Mar 25, 2012.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's been a while. And honestly I hadn't read the actual Kull stories at that point. So, in fairness, I should probably rewatch it. But it didn't blow me away. It's at least partially based on the first Kull story, "By This Ax, I Rule!"

2. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I dont think it is based on by this axe I rule very much. About the only thing is other nobles decide to assassinate him. It then brings in Ancient Acheron which is part of Conan's world not Kull's and turns them into Demons rather than humans who traffic with Demon's. At the time I think I liked the movie as I was enjoying the Hercules tv series and it is the same actor. But it has next to nothing to do with Howard's books.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The plot of "BTA,IR!" no. You're right. But the whole scene where he takes the ax and smashes the edicts of the kingdom he's just gotten is directly from the short story (presumably giving the story its name in the first place).

But the whole serpent men thing, not so much. And no Brule. Which sucks.

4. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I also noticed certain little bits of different stories spliced together to make the first two 80s conan movies.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yep. I've read some of the influences of the first Conan movie. The influences of the second one, I'm not sure I'm so clear. It's probably not nearly as good a movie, though I haven't seen it in years. But I feel like it does retain some of that Lovecraft-inspired sinister weirdness that Howard does well. The whole "dreaming god" thing hit the right note with me.

6. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^Well I actually like part 2(Conan the Destroyer) I have seen it numerous times since it has come to bluray to marvel at the clarity of it all.

From what they take out of the story for the movie is a "whore character" out of the named "Jenna" and make her a virgin priest in "Conan the Destroyer". A part where they cross the river into the tower magically was taken from a story I forgot which one, but Jenna wasnt even involved in it.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

We talking about a comic book now? Or a non-Howard Conan story? I don't remember that from any of Howard's original writings. (Which doesn't mean it isn't there. My memory leaves a lot to be desired.)

8. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

If I remember correctly, conan 2 's plot was written by Robert Jordan, of Wheel of Time Fame.

He had written some pastiches (how the non Howard Conan stories are known), actually some of the best. So it is based in one of his stories.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I've read a lot of Jordan's Conan stories. You dig them? I never did. That's no criticism of Robert Jordan, per say. I haven't read any of his Wheel of Time stuff. But his Conan just felt like "square-cut maned Superman" to me.

It's not bad. It's good. It just didn't feel like Conan. Small stuff, like Conan's having one extra special sword, felt more high fantasy than I'm used to from Howard's work. Howard's Conan used whatever was on hand at the time, wearing the armour and weapons of whatever area he happened to be frequenting at the time. It's a small thing, but I always really appreciated that detail.

10. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Conan was a thief/criminal/outlaw as much as a warrior and stealthy assassin. I love that

11. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

I think the Kull movie was actually based on a Conan story....?

12. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

Also, Conan the Destroyer plot was written by Roy Thomas, not Robert Jordan. It was an original story by Thomas, later adapted into a graphic novel called The Horn of Azoth in 1990.

As far as I know, Robert Jordan has never done any Hollywood/film work.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't think so. Though, coincidentally, the very first Conan story (The Phoenix on the Sword) begins with text taken directly from the first Kull story (By This Ax, I Rule!). Kull apparently didn't take off straight away, so Howard recycled some of his own material to kick start another character idea, which DID take off. Both stories begin with an attempt on the main character's life in the royal bedchambers.

14. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Robert Jordan did, however, write the novelization of CtD.

15. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I want to watch Kull... not to be mistaken with Krull!

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You should want to watch Krull. It's composed of 90% sheer awesome. A young Liam Neeson and all.

17. boards

And incidently one of the few times Conan requires a magical weapon.
    After reading that story I wanted to find out more information about Epimetrius and how he drove Set out of the world, but nothing more came of it that I remember.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Huh. You know, I hadn't thought of that. You're right on both counts. Now I'm really curious.

My feeling was that Kull always had a more fairy tale feel to it than Conan does. Perhaps Howard started out channeling more Kull than he really wanted and then injected more realism as he went along. Just guessing though.

I'm not entirely sure what I mean by "fairy tale feel" having said that, though. Something about his very quickly arriving at a given mythical place where the mythical mcguffin is said to be hidden without any attention paid to the travel, investigation, etc. That sort of thing.

19. boards

I can see how you would think that. I think of Kull as being more mythical because my general image is of him fighting snake men with Brule with its sense of history, the talking cat, getting lost in the mirrors, while Conan I see him thieving, fighting, wenching, drinking etc with human foes. Sure he fights lots of monsters, but when I think of his world I think of humans. When I think of Kull's world I think of prehuman monsters who are trying to control mankind.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yep. Exactly. I prefer Conan's world. But I really enjoyed seeing some of the "prehistory" of Conan's setting.