computer help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by mai tai, Sep 14, 2007.

1. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

hi guys. i am kinda computer dumb...and i know most of you guys are kinda smart.

so here is my question.

<Snip>

please tell me how.

detailed intructions as i an\m kinda dense

i have a compaq computer, run microsoft vist, have 2gig processor and 250 gig harddrive....and cable internet..

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2007
  2. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Righto....first off all, remember that it is illeagal to download copyrighted films and music unless you've paid for them (ie: that itunes crap).

<snip>

3. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Unfortunately mai tai what you've described is seen as illegal. Unless you PURCHASE said music from sources such as itunes...

I understand what you want, but i doubt anybody could properly help and put everyone in a whole heap of trouble lol.

Judging by the above post, i stand corrected...

4. Shadow_of_Evil

You have to realise that not all downloads are illeagal. There's plent yof music on torrent sites that has been released for free, void of copyrights. Same goes with movies.

5. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Quite, i realise that companies are currently in the process of making a 'compromise' with the audience. One suggestion i heard was free downloads if there could be adverts embedded into the files. So you hear an advert, then the song plays. Or video all depending...

I've not heard of free void of copyrights films or music as of yet though... Well not big names anyway. The fact of the matter is i bet 90% of computer users use big named torrent/p2p services: utorrent, bitlord, limewire to name but a few. But as i said earlier it could have bad side effects..

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Of course the majority of stuff downloaded is illeagal. It's just the way it is.
    I got no problem showing someone how to download stuff, it's just up to them to decide if they want to do it.

It's like teaching safe sex instead of abstinence. ;)

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Just because something is free doesn't means it's void of copyright. There are any number of free things (music/art/images/sounds/vid clips etc) which are free... yet still have a copyright. The two terms are not mutually exclusive.

There are in fact any number of free for distribution bits of music and video available on torrent services and the like.

Whether or not they have big names is frankly... irrelevant.

8. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

I might be wrong here, but I was under the impression that its not downloading thats illegal - its uploading.

Am I right?

9. SimonW

SimonW Valuated Membeloid

Nope, both are illegal for copyrighted material unless the owner gives permission for it to be freely distributed.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  10. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Speaking as one of MAP's representatives of the music industry, I have to say illegal downloads have effectively killed the market for album sales. The days of me making a reasonable living doing 2 or 3 great albums a year have gone because for major labels, the budget just doesn't exist to do that anymore.

It's a commonly held belief that albums many artists are working on currently may be the last they will be able to charge for at all.

Instead, the album will simply be a tool to promote the artist's live show. Touring will be the only source of income sufficient to pay for the albums to be made.

Fortunately recording technology has also progressed to the point where it's at least physically possible to make albums cheaply - in fact I've just started a music production company, 996 Audio, based around a completely mobile recording rig including all mic's etc, so we're able to do full band productions in a rehearsal room, rented cottage, barn, chateau in the south of France... wherever. So we've virtually eliminated studio costs from the budget.

11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

The simple fact of the matter is that the music industry failed to get it's act together and as such is paying the price. The large record companies brought this on themselves, they thought the gravy train would last forever and didn't plan for the new reality.
    A good artist always will make a living from music not a rich one but a living. It is the age of the michael jackson sytle superstar and the monolithic record company that is dying. There are thriving small label communities out there like in electronica that has a loyal fan base who value the product for what it is.

The Bear.

12. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Surely the people paying the price worst are the non-megastar recording artists and small record labels?

13. medi

Totally. You pretty much nailed it.

The whole giant infrastructure of majors is an anachronism. Hence them laying people off left and right.

In fact the motivation behind this new project was in part to make doing band productions competitive in terms of budget when compared to whole genres of music that people can make in their bedrooms. That's my vision for the future of guitar bands really... with the bonus that it feels kinda cool and 'guerrilla style' to be doing bands in unusual environments.

14. medi

In a way, but they're also better placed in many ways to adapt to a new, lower-key way of making records. Because of the huge number of (now superfluous) people that majors employ, their business model is based around big spending and big sales. Put a dent in their sales and the business model fails.

On the other hand, if I could, say, make an album for £2000 total recording budget, it doesn't take an unfeasible amount of paid downloads to be in profit very quickly. For a band with a reasonable online fanbase who are touring regularly, it's definitely realistic to make a living.

15. slipthejab

Funny enough my mate who runs a successful recording studio here in HK has in it one of the big oldskool sound boards... switches and nobs galore... sliders, buttons you name it... it screams recording studio.

So I asked him the other day... so how much mixing and what not do you do on that?
    He looked at me and laughed... he pointed to his Mac and cinema display (dinky by comparison) and said... it's all done there now... the mixing board is only to make the clients feel good.

:D

Pretty much the state of affairs for most of the recording industry I suspect.

16. medi

Yup. Basically the only analogue gear you still need would be at most 16 analogue mic inputs with an EQ section to record the drums. A 64 or 96 channel desk is totally redundant.

Mix wise, doing it all in the computer has been a slight compromise for me personally, until recently a company called Waves made an excellent software model of the SSL mixer channel. It's pretty much perfect to my ears.

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I personally use Ableton Live and a Oxygen 8 midi controller. Add in some software synths and my big pc and hey presto I have my own electronica suite. Would like a nice mic though for laying down some nice vocals, if I ever meet anyone with a decent voice that is.

The Bear.

18. medi

ha. I've just been taking singing lessons from my cousin, not really for my own performance but at least for working out harmony parts when I'm producing somebody else.

Also it gets me a bit more in touch with what singers go through when they're struggling with a part.

btw I can recommend the AKG Solidtube for vocals. I've used that on a LOT of singers and being a new mic it can even outclass some really good (on paper) vintage mics due to not being knackered.

They go for about £350 I believe.

19. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Interesting, I just always figured that big enough artists could make a pretty happy living on big stadium tours, promotional contracts and tv appearances and the like, plus whatever royalties they still get from people who still do buy music (even if many many less people do, for a *huge* artist, it must still be a fair amount). Whereas small, new artists effectively must make the majority of their money from record sales.

20. slipthejab

hahaha... I love it. Just like talking to my sound friends... instantly the conversation shifts to gear and mics. :D

Now all wee need are a few pints.