compound/isolation?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by fallout, Dec 23, 2003.

1. fallout

fallout New Member

I have been doing a bit of reading around this issue, and I was just wondering if anyone could clarify a few things for me.
    1) do isolation excersises actually build muscle bulk? Or is it just that they do not build as well as compound excersises?
    2)Could anyone give me some good links for examples of good excersises?

Sorry if I am forcing you guys to repeat yourselves. Also, I am 16 and I was wondering if thats old enough to lift?

cheers

2. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Compound exercises work several muscle groups at once. Isolation exercises "isolate" specific muscles to work on. Generally speaking, compound exercises using free weights are more beneficial as they promote "core stability," that is working the muscles which are more important for posture and everyday movements. That said, isolation exercises are very good if you know what you are planning to get out of them.

check out:

www.netfit.co.uk
    www.trainforstrength.com

3. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

An isolation exercise will single out a specific muscle or very small muscle group and is usually used for aesthetic reasons, like with bodybuilders. Compund exercises employ more than one muscle group, usually over more than one joint and therefore promote not only better core stability, but more functional strength in general.

As a martial artist you'd be much better off with compound exercises unless you are specifically trying to target a weak spot.

This is omsthing of a generalisation, of course, but a good guideline.

4. Cyph

Cyph Banned Banned

every body builder builds a foundation of mass through compound exercises as well....

5. Kat

Kat Valued Member

6. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

You're 16? I'm 15, and I'm lifting, too. Since lifting heavy weights forces your body to use its energy to build more muscle and less bones it would all depend on how tall you are. If you like your height where it is lift heavy. You only have a couple more years to grow, so you have to make that decision.

I saw on TV that there was this little kid (8, I think) who was lifting weights. He was lifting as much as the other adults in the gym.

You need to make the decision on whether you want to lift or not.

7. totality

totality New Member

mike's biased opinion and explanation:
    if you want to look pretty, use isolation exercises

if you want to look pretty and throw people around like ragdolls, do compound lifts

8. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

isolation exercies work one muscle group, compound exercises work several muscle groups at once. Both have its purpose but compound exercises should make the core of any decent training program. You are of age so start lifting.here's a link for exercise description: www.exrx.net

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

10. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

------- that is one great website

11. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Just as everyone has said, isolation is more for aesthetic purposes as it targets a single muscle group. Compound are best for strength and mass, although both will increase mass if done properly.
    One method of using isolation exercises is to prefatigue a muscle group before doing a comound exercise. If for example, your triceps give out before your chest does, you could prefatigue your chest with some isolation movements, and then perform the bench press. Because your chest is prefatigued, by the time the triceps tire out, the chest will be as well. Many people have this type of problem, where supporting muscles cannot handle the load that the main, larger muscle group can handle, and because of this, the larger group is never pushed to failure.