Complexes

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by seiken steve, Mar 17, 2011.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I'm trying to throw complexes in as a finisher and even as work outs when I’m strapped for time in an attempt to improve conditioning.

Complexes can be used of a whole host of reasons, not just fat loss as a lot of people believe; Dan John has used them successfully as tools for hypertrophy and strength.

So post equipment, movements reps and what the complex is designed to enhance (i.e. strength endurance size etc.)

Post you complex ideas here.

2. seiken steve

complex idea one
    Goals: improve conditioning and power.
    Equipment one barbell
    Reps: 6 reps each movement
    Rest: 60-90 seconds between 'rounds' continue

Military press, overhead squat, hang snatch, hang clean, hang clean and press, bento over row.
    The bent over rows at the end kind of ruin the flow but is defiantly a worthy exercise to put in there

farmers walk complex

Equipment: 2 dumbbells
    Goals: size and strength
    Rest 90-120 seconds
    Reps: 8-10

This one is a little more complicated but you need a big square to walk around.
    starting at one corner do a set of bent over rows then farmers walk to the next and do a set of curls, then along to the next corner for a set of overhead presses and to the next for a set of DB front squats then walk to the corner you started at.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

T Nation has some decent complex routines:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/complexes_for_fat_loss

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...g_performance/rebuild_yourself_with_complexes

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

I've been wanting to introduce them into my routine for a while, but because of my shoulder injury have had to compromise and only do leg complexes. I've been doing them at the end of my strength training session for a few weeks now as an extra blast to the system and, believe me, I certainly 'feel the burn' at the end of each set.

I've been using the following complexes:

http://www.t-nation.com/testosterone-magazine-628#complex-approach-to-quads-hams

Mainly the 'Leg complex 2 and 3' and I think my legs are starting to get a bit more defined. The advantage of these is that, aside from something to step up on to, you don't need any equipment. They're also good to recommend to females who are terrified of using weights because they'll 'get too muscly'.

4. seiken steve

ahh thanks for that a lot of my complexes are very upperbody dominant.

5. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

You mean toned right? =P

6. seiken steve

You're a brave man.

7. Frodocious

I refuse pointblank to use the word toned when I can deadlift over 1.5x my bodyweight!

Oh, and you are now on my 'To be Ninjered' list! :evil: :yeleyes: ;) :)

8. seiken steve

And now a dead man!

Kettle bell complex
    Equipment: one kettlebell
    Goals improve shoulder stability and core strength while building power and endurance (partullally in the shoulder)
    Reps 10
    Rest: 10 seconds between arms and 120 between rounds

Clean and press, snatch, 1 arm swing and rack clean rack clean the immediately waiter walk a set distance, your arm and suitcase walk back. Repeat on other arm.

I like this one, great tool for strikers.

9. Frodocious

10. Osu,

These are great links Frodocious, thanks! :)

Osu!

11. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Can you video this one as I can't quite picture each Exercise in the process? :Angel:

12. seiken steve

I will try, I'm not very good with computers though.

My 16 kg kettle bell is being borrowed ATM and I doubt I'd have great form with the 20.

What bits are you having trouble with? I've just realised most of my typing didn't make sense, I was still getting used to a touch screen.

It goes like this FTR
    1) 10 reps of clean and press
    2) 10 reps of snatch
    3) 10 reps of rack cleans (the KB equivalent to a power clean)
    4) press the weight over head and walk with it over head for let's say 20 meters
    5) drop the weight down by your side and walk back keeping good posture
    6) rest 10 seconds and repeat on other arm

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  13. Princess Haru

Clean and press - Y
    snatch - N
    1 arm swing - Y
    and rack clean rack clean the immediately - N
    waiter walk a set distance - Y
    your arm and suitcase walk back - Y

Repeat on other arm.

Not sure about the bold bits.

The only KB exercise I'm doing at the moment is the Windmill, so this will get me back into some of the others. I've not yet tried a Turkish Get up

14. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

check youtube....

15. seiken steve

:Angel:

Kettlebell snatch smells like awesome.

16. Princess Haru

youtubed. think I've got the rack clean though as Steve Cotter says my rack could get in the way of a good rack position ;) worried about doing snatch incase of overextending the rotation of shoulder at top position

17. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Woah :jawdrop:

18. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I always used to enjoy 'The Bear' complex.

The Sequence:

5x

1 x Power Clean
    1 x Front Squat
    1 x Push Press
    1 x Back Squat
    1 x Push Press

19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I don't really do too much complexes like the ones you're sharing Steve, but if you like finishers I have a couple I do from time to time.

Lately I've tried hitting up the nearby basketball court with my medicine ball and working different explosive throws, then sprinting after it. That's a fun one. The other one I do from time to time is getting my 150# sandbag, lowering the back of my pickup, and pick it up, load it onto the bed, roll it off, and repeat for a set goal amount.

20. Princess Haru

I like the look of the Bear, but haven't got a feel for Front Squat yet. The barbell across the shoulders feels quite uncomfortable, even when I'm using it as starting point for Overhead Press