Complexes for fat loss

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ad McG, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

2. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Actually just got home from doing some. Earlier this morning I had a girl I'm training do a really simple complex, just 4 moves, but I drove her into the ground.

They're amazing.

3. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Brutal is right. They're Bruuu...taaaalll. But for limited space, limited equipment, and/or limited time, complexes are definitley high on the list.

Last night I was playing around with a tweaked version of another Cosgrove complex. With a dumbbell, he suggested taking 12 exercises and performing 3 reps per arm. If you complete everything in under 90 seconds, use the next heaviest dumbbell for the next set. If it takes you over 90 seconds, stay at the same weight.

I'm hoping Cosgrove mis-spoke somewhere along the way, because I only used eight exercises for 3 reps per arm, and it took me at least 2 and a half minutes. :rolleyes: I probably could've pushed the pace a bit more though.

My version, done with a kettlebell for convenience, after a 5-minute warm-up:

1-arm deadlift
    clean
    push press
    front squat/rack squat
    snatch
    jerk
    1-hand elevated push-up (one hand rests on the bell, other hand on the ground)
    Overhead reverse lunge.

3 reps per arm, no rest between exercises. Go for time, and rest for double the duration of the set afterwards. For example, if the set takes 2 minutes, rest for 4 minutes. I was using this as a conditioning circuit, not for fat loss. I'd only rest as long as the set, maybe less, for fat loss. I threw this together literally five minutes before I began. Had I thought about it lonoger, I like to think that I would've remembers to throw one or two row variations in there. ;)

I did three sets/rounds of this (about 25 minutes in total), then wrapped up the day with 10 minutes of beach stuff (2 sets of lateral raises, 2 sets of KB curls, 1 set of extensions) and I was toast. It's good times, for sure.

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I used to superset the Bear complex in with skipping, that was about as brutal as it got for me.

5. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

Yup, I finish each workout either with tabatas or barbell complexes since I've been on a very low carb diet for fat loss. My latest has been:

10 x clean grip high pull
    10 x front squat
    10 x push press
    10 x back squat
    10 x hang power snatch

I'm using this to keep the legs and hips in each movement and to help develop a more natural feel for the hip-snap movement of all oly lifts. So far I haven't bothered adding any weight, just using the bar. Next day I hope to add a pair of 5'ers. :Alien:

6. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

The bear complex has allways been a favorite form of HIIT for me.

7. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I used to do 18 gallon full keg carries round my mates garden to failure, then hit the bag hard for 2 minutes, tyre sledge hits, then do the bear with an empty barbell. Pass the bucket!

8. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Haha rough! Last night I tried loading 100+ of those 40lb 5 gallon waterbottles into our company van in under 3 minutes. I didnt do it, but came close haha.